Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Budget jetpack

• 42 Replies

Fett Seven

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Budget jetpack
« on: Jun 10, 2010, 11:08 AM »
Hey guys, just want to share what I've been working on. I want to reproduce my Boba jet pack as a budget kit.
What I mean by budget is lower is price. This will be my first time bringing something like this to "market".
I have a link here to my Flicker page with photos of the pack as a base. I do have all the attachments to complete it as a Boba or Jango pack for the guys at TDH.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42183019@N02/
 I hope I added the link properly. If not search, jbvseven1(as people) at Flicker to find the pics.

Re: Budget jetpack
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2010, 12:02 PM »
Hrrrrrrrm, good start old chap!

We have a VERY nice pack in the pipe-line here, I will be following this thread and link most carefully!!!!
There is a BIG gap in the market for KIT FORM backpacks, If you can get a working and cost effective format going you will be onto a winner.

You will one day understand, When all the others have taken the easy way out ... and died.

Darman_Skirata

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2010, 12:11 PM »
you make that pack at budget cost, thatll be soo awesome, i always wanted to get a jetpack :D

« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2010, 12:26 PM »
YOiu get this goin cheaply, I will owe you a beer, soda, or whatever of your choice. Mandos have been needin this!

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2010, 04:07 PM »
It is great to see something like this. If you can make these for under three-hundred you should have absolutely no issue selling them. If you can do it for under two-hundred and you are going to have more orders than you know what to do with.

Founder of M.A.N.T.A
Mandalorians Against Ninja Theme Armor

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2010, 06:58 PM »
Pretty much what the others said. I'll be keeping my eye on this, as there pretty much aren't any quality Fett-style jet packs around for less than $300. As Harro said, if you can get it under $200, you'll probably have more orders than you can handle :P.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2010, 07:11 PM »
Seeing the pics at flikr makes me want to have a pack now and I never really considered having one for my setup, def looks good!

Relax, we are adventurers, we are supposed to be surrounded!

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #7 on: Jun 11, 2010, 04:12 AM »
that looks great

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.
« Reply #8 on: Jun 11, 2010, 07:49 AM »
Jesse

Thanks for the PM... Thought I would share some thoughts with you and the others on this matter, you might need to think a bit on these points.. and the others will no doubt want to give there thoughts as well.

1. It must be simple to form (you will no doubt be getting four or five orders a month as an average... perhaps thirty or more in the first month you offer them!)) . YOU will be the one casting these kits and folks will expect you to keep to an agreed scedual, I Mod to order myself... blasters mostly but also some custom model ship... and its painful to have orders stacked up that are overly complex. you end up wishing you never bothered!!!!

2. it must be tough enough to troop in... most jetpack kits on offer are quite expensive yet very fragile! The ones from Brazil have a terrible reliability record oweing to cheep resin used.

3. It must be cost effective.... lets say that again...IT MUST BE COST EFFECTIVE!!!

This last point is the killer, setting up a production line is quite an expensive undertaking, you will need to ask for pre-orders with deposite to cover material costs most likely and factor in a margin of 25% for waisted material if your casts fail (god knows mine do on occasion! I once lost $300 dollars of resin when the air con failed in the basement I used for a workshop... temp went up and resin failed to cure on a run of twentyfive ship casts... THAT HURT!). My feeling is this, What most of us want is the basic Jetpack body and thats all! We can choose for ourselves if we want a arena style or classic fett pack... we will want to detail the sucker to our own custom specs and we will want it to reflect that fact in the price.

THIS WORKS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE..... If all you have to worry about is casting three large sections and none of the gribbles you have a simple set up and less chance of mold failure. ...OR... you could offer the detail sections as add ons to be ordered at a later date and keep the basic back as you principle product, this way you offer the base kit for a reasonable price , say $100, and offer detail packs for .... well $100. You thus offer what amounts to a full pack for $100-175 LESS then the rest of the market which is fully customisable and yet much cheaper!

All I can say is this, What ever format you choose it has to have these three factors well and truely covered. Any help I can offer... just ask!

You will one day understand, When all the others have taken the easy way out ... and died.

Fett Seven

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: Jun 11, 2010, 10:51 AM »
Hey Raven,

Thanks for the input. To cover some of your point

1. I should have my mold this weeked at the earliest. Once I have the mold I will begin production test and get an idea for production cost.

2. Durability totaly agree, need to find a happy middle.
Too lite -to fragile
Too heavy- more costly, heavy in weight.

This next point. What do the people want?  Do member want the "base pack" .
As as you mentioned, perhaps I should start production with just the base (the base is what is pictured on the Flicker page on my frist post) to get my feet wet so to speak.

More to come.

« Reply #10 on: Jun 11, 2010, 12:49 PM »
Seeing as this a custom club I'm sure you can get away with a base pack at first. People love coming up with there own means to make stuff. Hell Novall used a deactivated RPG for his rocket. Starting with a base also gives you time to build up capital to make molds for accessory packs. Plus it will keep the cost down which people really like.

Founder of M.A.N.T.A
Mandalorians Against Ninja Theme Armor

Darman_Skirata

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Jun 11, 2010, 01:03 PM »
seconded i would be more than happy to have just the base pack im sure others would be too

Seeker

• Shoot first and ask questions later.
« Reply #12 on: Jun 12, 2010, 05:09 PM »
Good looking pack

Chucko

« Reply #13 on: Jun 15, 2010, 02:44 PM »
I've seen this pack in person and let me tell this thing looks awesome.

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
« Reply #14 on: Jun 15, 2010, 02:54 PM »
A base pack would be great, gives everyone something that looks uniform but also allows for all sorts of customization.  Offering the other greeblies either separate or as "value packs" also allows for customization.  For instance I may want the rocket from Boba but the Arena tops for the jets like Jango and make my own jet nozzles.  Or even mix it up a bit.

But yeah, if you get the base out there I'd be interested as it would save me a ton of time for my own kit and if it was between $100-150 I'd get one (but would love it at $100, then I would probably order two at a time).

Those who wander aren't always lost.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!