Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

TCW Deathwatch Jetpack

• 63 Replies

stormtrooperguy

• Awards TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Boba and Jango
TCW Deathwatch Jetpack
« on: Jun 11, 2010, 11:18 AM »
Last night I started on my Vizsla jetpack. I'm hoping that the body will be a 2 piece vac form job with some resin addon bits. We'll see how that works out :)

I started off taking some measurements from the WoF templates to get a general sense of scale. I then drew out the pack on a big sketchpad, cut that out, and used it as a template to cut a couple of pieces of MDF.

You can see the template next to the base piece here:

I took some PVC pipe and ripped it in half length-wise on a table saw to make the thruster tubes. The second half of the pipe will be on the back piece of the pack.

I used 1/4" mdf for the housing around the pipes. The measurements were somewhat trial and error, but I got there.

Again the table saw came out, this time to zip a bit off the back of the big center pipe, so that it would lay flat.

I then used assorted smaller pieces of MDF to rough out the middle portions of the pack.

Bondo and apoxie sculpt added in:

Smoothing out the transition from MDF to PVC:

Bottom view:

The big things I noticed about their packs vs. Jango is that they are pretty flat overall, and the back has an odd shape. I'm putting together a pack reference library, so I'll post the link in the next update.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: TCW Deathwatch Jetpack
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2010, 02:09 PM »
Shiny ;D. You're going to bankrupt me with all the new goodies your working on, assuming this proves cost effective to put into production.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Fett Seven

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2010, 08:53 PM »
Hey Trooper,

Good work. The DW pack is, was  going to be my next project.
Keep up the good work.

stormtrooperguy

« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2010, 02:30 AM »
More refinement tonight:

I decided I didn't like the sections between the tubes so I redid those. I also shaped the bottoms of the outer tubes and added a center ridge.

So not a ton of visible change, but a lot of work. More than the initial build I think!

My hope is to get this closed up enough for a test pull this weekend, so that I can tell if I'm on the right track.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2010, 02:51 AM »
I'd say quick work, but that's probably hours and hours of effort :P. Any estimate on how much you'd charge for one of these, if it doesn't prove too much of a pain in the -censored- to produce?

Seeker

• Shoot first and ask questions later.
« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2010, 05:10 PM »
Keep us updated, it looks good so far.

redkraytdragon

• Disintigrations are likely...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Jun 21, 2010, 09:36 AM »
That is looking great brother! Can't wait to see the vacced pieces. What thickness are you thinking?

Dha'ward Firaxan

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Jun 22, 2010, 12:49 AM »
Sweet!

Mandalorian Mercs - Firaxan Clan

stormtrooperguy

« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2010, 12:22 PM »
i'm behind on pictures, but it's been moving along. i made a few design errors that i had to correct, but i'm back on track.

i'll probably try this in 080 hips, and move up to 125 if it seems like it needs it. my boba pack is either 080 or maybe even 060 and that's held up for years, so i'm not worried about durability. lots to do... lots to do...

stormtrooperguy

« Reply #9 on: Jul 07, 2010, 11:42 PM »
I did the 1st and 2nd test pulls of the jetpack tonight! I'm thinking 3rd is a charm. I suspect that the next pull will be what I assemble for myself.

Here is the prototype of the body:

And a couple of shots of the 1st test mounted on the backplate, as modeled by my friend Sean, while he was trying to make clone trooper holsters:

It shows me that my backplate is a bit too long. I need to shorten it by about an inch. Not a big deal, just a quick ride down the table saw and some filler.

Overall I'm quite happy with how it has worked out. I'll do my 3rd and hopefully final pull tomorrow night then put it together, so that I can work on the resin parts.

Salvo Mereel

« Reply #10 on: Jul 07, 2010, 11:44 PM »
Nice!

TheMandoMan

• MMCC #0001
« Reply #11 on: Jul 08, 2010, 12:09 AM »
Awesome!  If you do runs of these, I bet they'll sell like crazy!  I've really been wanting something to wear on my back in costume.

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

The REEL Mereel Skirata

• It's all all about a stealthy approach, you see.
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Jul 08, 2010, 12:10 AM »
That's looking really good man! The kit is coming along nicely, can't wait too see more!

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Sistine Chest Plate - Official Member with most intricate paint job Open Seasons Death Watch Brigade MEmber Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #13 on: Jul 08, 2010, 10:45 AM »
Definitely interested, if you ever do a run of these...  ;)

-Abby Lusk (MMCC Official Member #81)
Quartermaster for the MMCC 2009-May 2013

redkraytdragon

• Disintigrations are likely...
« Reply #14 on: Jul 08, 2010, 04:44 PM »
That looks GREAT for a vac formed JP. Good job bro!

Hagen Nor'ak

• More then credits
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Jul 09, 2010, 06:52 AM »
Wow, that pull came out beautiful, but then agian who am I talking to here :P. What are the measurements were looking at here for the pack?

Have a good one,
Hagen

Mafio

« Reply #16 on: Jul 09, 2010, 07:39 AM »
Damn...   I'am so gonna  want  one right now.    ;D

Fett Seven

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #17 on: Jul 09, 2010, 09:30 AM »
I'm interested in one. PM sent.

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
« Reply #18 on: Jul 09, 2010, 10:05 AM »
good job!

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
reality is a hologram created by our minds.
M.A.J.I.C # 008

stormtrooperguy

« Reply #19 on: Jul 09, 2010, 05:38 PM »
prototype is assembled!

i mangled the bottom in assembly... over trimmed, over glued, etc...

but it will still be workable. i'm going to start in on the addon parts this week, and hope to have the pack knocked out by the weekend.

now i just need to learn how to use my lathe!

The REEL Mereel Skirata

• It's all all about a stealthy approach, you see.
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #20 on: Jul 09, 2010, 05:54 PM »
looking good man! Nothing a little tlc can't fix;) keep it up!

stormtrooperguy

« Reply #21 on: Jul 12, 2010, 09:32 PM »
marching forward!

primer and final filler down on the body.

you can see there that i've also made up the base for the rocket assembly. it will be cast in resin ultimately, so for now the original is just loosely fitted into place.

i also made up the bottom vent/thruster/whatever for the center tube. it's not particularly accurate since i only had a couple of fuzzy shots of that part. it's good enough for me though! it will also be cast in resin.

the rocket base will be 1.5" PVC... it should plug right into the resin socket. i hope :)

stormtrooperguy

« Reply #22 on: Jul 16, 2010, 01:34 AM »
now it is starting to look like a jetpack!

the lathe i have needs a few accessories to be able to turn the size material i would have needed for this, so i made that by hand.

i took a 3/4" dowel and centered it in a small segment of the 1.5" pipe i needed to join with the collar. i then sculpted up with apoxie sculpt all the way to the top.

i then turned it the "old fashioned way"... by hand, in front of a 1" belt sander, then finishing with sandpaper.

this is just the rough finish. it needs some spot filler and a couple more details added. but, considering it was made without the benefit of the wonderful spinning cutter in the garage, i'm very happy with how it came out.

similarly rough is the tank topper:

this also needs more sanding and some filler.

but, one more short evening of work and these should both be ready for silicone.

all that's left is to make the thrusters for the bottom. i'm contemplating funnels, or at least modding and molding a funnel. i have on that isn't perfect but is decent.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #23 on: Jul 16, 2010, 02:35 AM »
Looking good so far; is good to do things the old fashioned way once in a while, keeps the skills sharp ;).

lightning667

« Reply #24 on: Jul 16, 2010, 03:38 AM »
great work how much one of these beauts' ?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!