Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Elijah's WIP Helmet

• 12 Replies
Elijah's WIP Helmet
« on: Oct 09, 2010, 12:56 AM »
So I am working on my first suit, and have started work on my helmet.  It is a WCA Deathwatch from AdamScottFM here http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=29215.0

So far I have dremeled the flash from the bottom and removed the T.  I also did some smoothing around the inside.

Kaden'Dha Runi

• Mandaddy
  • Bringing Vengeance to the Galaxy
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Award for 100 official invasions. 2016 Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions
Re: Elijah's WIP Helmet
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2010, 01:47 AM »
Looking good so far.  Keep it up.  I find if you let it sit too long, it will just end up sitting longer.  Stay the course, but don't rush.

Manda'galaar Clan Los Angeles, CA (USA) #0348      "Hell Hath No Fury Like Mando Vengeance"     M.A.J.I.C. #0051     B.O.M.B. #0013
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2010, 07:44 PM »
First paint!

Black primer looking super shiny for some reason.

Silver coat

Next is mustard and colors.

Kaden'Dha Runi

• Mandaddy
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Award for 100 official invasions. 2016 Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2010, 11:23 PM »
Nice job on the base coats.

Manda'galaar Clan Los Angeles, CA (USA) #0348      "Hell Hath No Fury Like Mando Vengeance"     M.A.J.I.C. #0051     B.O.M.B. #0013
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2010, 08:58 AM »
I couldn't find a #5 face shield anywhere local, but I found an ebay seller selling them for $5 and ordered a couple. Hoping to have this bad boy finished by the end of the weekend.

« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2010, 09:49 PM »
Yay more progress. 

Mustard!

First color with mustard removed

And second color with mustard and masking removed

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2010, 09:50 PM »
Going for a Protector or Boba color pattern?

« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2010, 10:09 PM »
Yup.  I am going to do the cheeks and ears in white, and the cheek arch in black. I like the Protector look, and keeping it Boba like makes it easier to explain to less geeky folks on Halloween  :D

Kaden'Dha Runi

• Mandaddy
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2010, 10:57 PM »
I like it.  Tell me, what do you do to get the mustard off?  Just water?

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2010, 11:17 PM »
Very cool.

Kaden: Yup, after the paints dried just rinse it of in the sink.

« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2010, 07:43 AM »
I didn't think of running it under the sink, I gently wiped through the mustard/paint 'bubbles' with a damp paper towel.

Thanks for the compliments guys, hopefully it looks good when finished.  Masking off the curved parts is kind of a pain, I see some hand touch ups in my future...

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2010, 07:45 AM by elijahdprophet » Logged
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2010, 07:40 PM »
All colors applied, black wash to be done later.  I am pretty happy with it.  The white paint crackled pretty badly, but a bit of sandpaper saved MOST of it, some of it is just ugly, but I figure it has been through wars so it can be a little ugly.  

White paint horror show

I also had some masking tape issues.  Cheap tape left overnight peeled back in some places, so I had some overspray.  Luckily I have a tube of silver hobby paint to turn the oversprayed areas into more wear and tear. I didn't want to mess with trying to color match thr spraypaint or mask the entire helmet for a quarter inch spray. I am pretty satisfied with it as my first bucket.

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2010, 08:06 PM by elijahdprophet » Logged

Kaden'Dha Runi

• Mandaddy
« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2010, 09:06 PM »
Not bad at all.  You ahould be very proud.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!