Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kyr v0.5 (Protector)

• 45 Replies

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Kyr v1 (Protector)
« Reply #30 on: Oct 25, 2012, 04:58 PM »
Oooo Vod this is going to be epic ;D top work ... keep it up Vod ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #31 on: Oct 25, 2012, 06:03 PM »
Very nice, very nice ;D. Come a long way from the sketch you showed me in the line at DCon '09 ;). (That was you right? :P)

It was, but the sketch I showed you hasn't really begun yet (a couple pieces are going to be interchangable, like the sash and flight suit and flak vest). I consider that one to really be my v1.0, and this to be more my v0.5 -- a way to get something wearable and approvable that I'm happy with whilst continuing to work toward the more involved projects. About half the armor in this build is ultimately intended for my Fenn Shysa kit. The thighs, knees, sabatons, cod, collar, gauntlets, and helmet I'm making for this kit stay with this kit, though. Most of those are plastic of one sort or another, and the cod and collar need to be redone.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #32 on: Oct 25, 2012, 10:07 PM »
Aha, I see!

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Peregrinus

« Reply #33 on: Nov 15, 2012, 08:55 PM »
I don't have nearly as many pictures of the process as I was hoping for, cuz I was too busy working. *heh* Last Saturday saw the rest of the painting, weathering, and clear-coating of the armor pieces I've been showing recently -- torso and cod. I've got the electronics mostly installed and have to do a little more securing and soldering. I have the girth belt done, and the gunbelt will be following it shortly. That said...

Codplate:

The vest armor, all done on the outside:

And a shot from the chest display fired up:

The chest diamond will be following suit soon. I have to wire a rheostat into the circuit and mount everything in a box to keep it secure.

So... Now I'm onto siting and mounting the screw posts, padding the insides, protecting the electronics, and other fun stuff. *heh*

--Jonah

« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2012, 08:57 PM by Peregrinus » Logged
MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Jesse Libarra

• M.A. #028, Mini Mando #05
Re: Kyr v0.5 (Protector)
« Reply #34 on: Nov 18, 2012, 12:01 PM »
That looks awesome! I can't wait to see it on you. ;)  ;D

-Only a fool never feels fear. The difference between a brave man and a coward is the way he handles his fear.-

Peregrinus

« Reply #35 on: Jan 07, 2013, 04:57 AM »
The winter here sucks for being warm and dry enough to do much, and the holidays have a wonderful way of interfering with getting together for armor parties. At the cost of many poor brain cells, I've been doing some prep work on my lower-body armor that I should really be doing with better ventilation.

Left knee (from redkraytdragon, in kit orm, heavily overengineered by me) and left sabaton  (scratchbuilt from sintra and armature wire) have been cleaned up, primed, and have the base layer of Liquid Stainless Steel sprayed on. (I took these pictures while that was still curing. Once it has I still need to buff it to get the right finish, then I can paint it...) Since the grey primer layer for my paint apps is also a rattlecan, I'll be masking and painting that layer. The geens and yellows will have to wait until I can airbrush at the next armor party.

Knee, cleaned up:

...Primed:

...And steeled:

Sabaton, cleaned up:

I forgot to take a picture of it after I primed it, but here it is steeled:

At this point, I need to finish cleanup on my right knee, get to work on my thighs and shins, and redo my right sabaton.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #36 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:03 AM »
Very very nice... Starting a Protector of my own... This is a great inspiration...!!

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #37 on: Jan 07, 2013, 02:44 PM »
Looking nice ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

redkraytdragon

• Disintigrations are likely...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #38 on: Jan 07, 2013, 03:18 PM »
Great work Jonah, keep those pics coming  8)

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #39 on: Jan 07, 2013, 03:22 PM »
Looking wicked man! Nice work :D I really like how you have added thickness to those plates to give them more depth.

Peregrinus

« Reply #40 on: Jan 08, 2013, 10:33 PM »
Yeah, it's a fun balance to strike. Too thick and the armor looks like huge slabs of metal, which would be horrid (why I don't use 6mm sintra). Too flat and it looks flimsy. They did good with the original film costume by sculpting it and vac-forming it to have a rolled edge. That gives it depth, but there are enough subtle cues to tell the eye that it's a thinner material (that -- in universe -- is probably lined with padding and contains other systems, like whatever the chest display is a readout of and so forth). I mean, even Will's awesome knee kit needed a little depth added. ;)

I'm not there yet, but a question about attaching the sabatons. I'm using my black jackboots with this costume. I'm going to have Jango-style shins strapped on with leather straps. For the sabatons, I am planning to use leather straps around the heel and under the arch, but black elastic for the last little bit that holds the sabaton to the leather rig, so it has some play to move as the boot flexes and extends. Will an inch of black elastic against black leather down around my ankles be a no-no? Or could I get away with it?

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Peregrinus

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2014, 02:04 PM »
Yeesh. I didn't realize it had been so long. I have been doing stuff with this, even though most of my work on this in the past year has been soft goods, weapons, gauntlets, helmet, and backpack... Most relevant, the weather has gotten good enough that painting is happening once more. A tease -- leg armor primed prior to applying the metallic coat...

Left leg and foot (knee getting work done elsewhere):

Right leg (knee also being worked on elsewhere):

Not above showing my setbacks. The reason the right sabaton isn't primed yet -- need to reglue that bit of armature wire :rolleyes: :

I'm also working on my gauntlets right now, but they're over in that subforum.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Peregrinus

« Reply #42 on: Oct 29, 2014, 02:43 AM »
Huh... Thought I'd updated this thread. Apparently not. Nor had I uploaded the pictures I thought I'd updated it with to Photobucket. I apparently dreamed that. :blank:

Anyhoo. The work I'd been doing on the knees, using the left for my model. To give some depth, I took a piece of 1mm sintra, cut it approximately to size, figured out the cutouts, and... well... cut.

Then I glued it in position and filled/blended the edge with my go-to epoxy putty.

With the additional parts in place. Chaff dispenser, tripwire launcher, vent/heat sink.

Sanded smooth and ready to go.

And speaking of ready to go...

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Peregrinus

« Reply #43 on: Oct 29, 2014, 03:33 AM »
I was unsatisfied with the stainless steel paint I tried first time round, so I'm taking a different approach this time. First step is as smooth a bare plastic finish as possible to work with. So my undercoat for all these plastic pieces is RustOleum Professional Grade gloss black. It and the gloss white -- at least -- have ground up ABS dissolved in suspension. Three generous coats a few minutes apart, then don't touch it for a good week so it has time to cure properly, and you've coated whatever you painted with ABS plastic. From here I'm in the process of sanding/polishing everything as mirror-smooth as I can manage. Sandpaper and polishing films all the way up to the equivalent of 10,000 grit.

The right knee and sabaton are still playing catch-up, as are the gauntlets and helmet. I need to do some testing of the next step while I'm continuing to work on those, before I commit with all the fully-prepped pieces.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Vhett Naast

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #44 on: Oct 29, 2014, 01:31 PM »
Looks great! really diggin the greeblies on the knees, very OT feeling.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!