Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kyr v0.5 (Protector)

• 45 Replies

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
Kyr v0.5 (Protector)
« on: Jul 08, 2010, 06:47 PM »
From the bottom up, these sabatons:

...knees:

...and cod/butt armour:

[came out bad, need to reshoot]

...are all made of sintra. I have my first steel cod/butt combo in hand, but won't be using it yet for lack of tools for finishing:

Need to roll the edges like this:

I will be able to in coming months, but I want something wearable for my clan picture day in late August.

My upper body armour has been outsourced so I can concentrate on the stuff I can make more easily with the gear I have on hand, and will be arriving in early August, whereupon it will be painted, mounted, and photographed for submission. The WIP photos at that stage will be coming fast and heavy. Here's a teaser:

« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2012, 08:56 PM by Peregrinus » Logged
MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Thornar Vexxuel

• Creeping Death
Re: Kyr v1 (Protector)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2010, 01:50 AM »
very cool

Stand by and guard my soul, for i will die for yours!

Drago Seron

• Butcher of Endor
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2010, 02:30 AM »
It's looking good so far. Can't really critique it as it's still being worked. Keep it up vod. Need ya in armor for August 22nd.

DragoSeron3copy by Doc Kruzer, on Flickr

Horsemen-WAR
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2010, 09:16 AM »
Very nice! Glad to see it finally begin!

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

pinocchio

• The Biscalor
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2010, 09:13 PM »
nice one man

COMPLAINING DOES NOT GIVE YOU POWER, BUT CREATING WILL.

Peregrinus

« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2010, 04:46 PM »
It's looking good so far. Can't really critique it as it's still being worked. Keep it up vod. Need ya in armor for August 22nd.

That's the target, yes. Back home now, and going to be working diligently. Expect more pics over the next few days...

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Kyran Koter

• Jeremy Bulloch's personal Mando
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2010, 03:05 AM »
Looks awesome so far. :D

"Hold your head high.
Don't ever let 'em define
The light in your eyes.
Love yourself, give them Hell.
You can take on this world.
You just stand and be strong
And then fight
Like a girl."

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right!"

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2010, 01:49 PM »
Fantastic ;D. I've a mixed metal-sintra set myself. As much as I like my aluminum plates, some are just easier to deal with in plastic form, mostly from an attachment/staying-in-place standpoint.

Also, when you get the metal cod-piece finished, make sure the edges are smooth and blunted, possibly even padded or plastidipped. My last metal cod wore through the crotch of my pants at one point :P. I believe Novall had the same problem a couple years back, if I recall correctly.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Peregrinus

« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2010, 06:59 PM »
Yeah, when the return edges are finished, that gives room to line them with some good padding, and the point of the crotch is going to be held down with a variation on the Boba-thong -- a short strip of elastic or webbing sewn into the crotch seam and snapping to the point of the cod. That'll help prevent wear on the actual flightsuit. But yes, I am absolutely making sure the edges are filed and sanded smooth and round. :)

--Jonah

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2010, 09:04 PM by Peregrinus » Logged
MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 2010, 07:07 PM »
Slade, thanks to you I had the most horrible mental image of some kid kicking somebody with an unrounded cod plate in the crotch.

If I were a male, I think I'd be curled up in the corner sobbing. As it is .  .. .ooowww.

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar MendrosŤ

Peregrinus

« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2010, 09:12 PM »
Hey -- if you have the point of the codplate positioned such that kicking would drive it in anyplace tender... you're doing it wrong. :P

As I said in my helmet WIP thread, I've been increasingly absent from the internets over the last couple months, culminating in my computer going phut. I now have a new power supply and hard drive, and I'm hoping I'll have all the data (including pictures) salvaged off the dead drive soon. I'm going to be delving later this evening or tomorrow to update this and my other WIP threads with whatever pictures I'd taken and uploaded to Photobucket already.

A clarification that I see I hadn't put in originally -- I am not using a backplate on this costume, as it's a "placeholder" costume including components of my Fenn Shysa and Kyr v2 costumes, as well as getting some use out of my sintra test helmet and gauntlets. I'll have a couple additional accessories to use here, too, such as an oilskin "trenchvest" and a Clonetrooper-style hardshell backpack, so the back will be properly covered. I'll tackle the backplate when I set out to finish those other costumes and will be able to do my metal gaunts and helmets.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Peregrinus

« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2011, 01:22 PM »
Might as well add a couple teasers here. I'll take and post more this evening -- I have about two-thirds of the pictures I've taken so far, but some seem to have vanished from my camera. I think going through the wash affected the memory card... >_>

Took this one of the right chest plate and belly plate while I was working on the left chestplate. The chest diamond was already attended to and somewhere else. You can see the bumpy bits where the toothpaste is masking the deepest layer of weathering damage, down to the bare metal. These all are just showing the primer layer:

A closer shot of the belly plate with the toothpaste removed:

And the right chest plate:

And, for good measure, here's the right shoulder plate:

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #12 on: Aug 27, 2011, 01:33 PM »
some seem to have vanished from my camera. I think going through the wash affected the memory card... >_>

Hey, it still works and that's the important thing. :P (I'm still astounded the touch screen wasn't busted.)

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar MendrosŤ

Peregrinus

« Reply #13 on: Aug 28, 2011, 02:06 AM »
Took a few more today to get back up to speed with where I am in the painting process.

Left shoulder plate, primed:

And here are the rest, either with the toothpaste applied for the next layer of weathering or -- in the case of the left chest plate, partly applied...

From here, I'm trying to figure out whether I want to get everything else primed first, which requires a goodly bit of finishing work before that can happen, or whether I should just go ahead and break out the airbrush for these pieces now. The collar needs a bit of hammering. The stainless steel's memory pulled it, the belly, and both chest plates a little straighter again, but while it'e negligible on the chest and belly plates, the collar flattened out way too much. The cod and butt plates still need their return edges. And the sintra gauntlets, knees, and boot armor are still being assembled and shaped. But at least my modded Hasbro helmet oughta be ready to be primed soon -- only a little bit of finishing work left before that can happen. :)

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Mando-Tough - Winner of the Celebration VI pushup competition Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #14 on: Sep 03, 2011, 08:48 PM »
once you can get some more completed, and could give you better advice. I'm more of a finish type of guy rather than fabrication. I can fabricate, you I'm better and paint and weather. So that's where I feel comfortable giving advice. It looks like you're off to a great start though. I'm looking forward to seeing your kit completed.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!