Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Scatchbuild Test

• 34 Replies

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
Re: Scatchbuild Test
« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2010, 09:38 PM »
As I've said in my other WIP threads, I'm way overdue for updating, but have been online less and less over the last couple months, culminating with my computer dying rather spectacularly a couple weeks ago. I am back now, armed with a new power supply and hard drive. I need to see what pics I managed to upload to Photobucket before my old drive got killed, but I should be back with pics soon.

I went back and re-thunk how I was shaping things, starting with making a one-piece form instead of upper and lower half-forms. I'm going to wrap sintra almost all the way around before cutting it back to what is actually needed for the gaunts. Wasteful, yes. But can't be helped at this stage.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Peregrinus

« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2012, 07:54 AM »

So I let my gauntlet work languish as I was being distracted by real life and -- eventually -- more recent work on my helmet and armor and other projects. I finally recently revisited these, though. Very definitely in the middle of things, here's a partial rundown of where I am...

Right gauntlet you saw me working on previous. I'm in the midst of redoing the clamshells. Here's a shot of how the lower halves look on that form:

I have separate forms for the upper and lower halves, wrapping the cardstock all the way around to the opposite side of the half the form is for. Things like sintra and cardstock want to be flat. Even once you've curved them, the edges will still want to be flat, and tend to resist the curvature you can get the rest of the material to take. So I avoid that issue by having those edges as far from the working area as possible. In the picture above, I've already trimmed away a lot of the excess sintra, once I'd gotten it to take its shape. Next step is to trace the templates and cut the pieces.

Meanwhile, the right side box has gotten a bit closer. I printed out a picture taken of the right ROTJ gauntlet at the Magic of Myth exhibition that had a laser caliper used on it. I scaled it so the dots that were supposed to be an inch apart actually were, and checked the pipe fittings I was trying out for fit. The ones that were an exact (or almost exact, in a couple spots) are seen here:

I took that for rough comparison. I still need to do some cutting and grinding and so forth before it's ready to be painted. I got all of those pieces at my local Ace Hardware. From left to right they are:

•1/4" flare nut
•1/8" close pipe nipple
•1/8" female-to-female threaded pipe coupling
•1/4" diameter brass tubing

I also have the braided hose for the suit hookups, and 1/4" copper tubing to join the flare nut to the hose. I need to grab a flaring tool first. Thought I had one, but I don't.

I'll have pictures of my left gauntlet progress up tomorrow... *looks at clock* Sorry -- later today.

--Jonah

« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2012, 07:56 AM by Peregrinus » Logged
MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2012, 07:52 PM »
Just found this wip, loving it bud. Real attention to detail and skill!

Peregrinus

« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2013, 06:43 AM »
Couple shots of the right gaunt upper power connector. Reinforcing the inside and getting ready to fit the attachment bits:

And an actual update on the left gauntlet that I'd been letting intimidate me. :rolleyes: Here's the inner clamshell piece on the form with the alignment markings for the outer piece drawn on:

And the outer piece after being curved around the inner piece, with the template in position for tracing:

Somewhere in that mess of tape and clamps is a gauntlet-like object...:

The left lower clamshell partway through cleanup after all the layers have been glued together:

Lot of minor defects to smooth and fill, but it's off to a good start:

Hoping to keep up the pace. I like visible progress.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Swift

• (Klen'aka Vonshi)
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2013, 06:47 AM »
Looking great Jonah! I'm curious though, how did you get the curve on the shells so perfect? I'm working on my own WOF gauntlets, using PVC, and it's hard to get them so precise.

Beskar'gam  |  Buy'ce  |  Gallery

Mandalorian Mercs OM #769
The Elegant Mando's Tea Society #058
B.E.A.R.D.S #036

Peregrinus

« Reply #20 on: Nov 17, 2013, 01:33 AM »
A good form (the cardstock foms I use are okay. I'll invest more into it once I've got the sizing figured out better), a heat gun that you've had some practice with, and about three times as much sintra as you need. I mercifully didn't show all my failures. *heh* Since I use 1mm, it has a very narrow window between "not quite hot enough to form properly" and "curling, melting mess". FOr the right lower clamshell, I got it on the second try. For the left lower, I got the inner on the second and the outer on the third. For the right upper... well, I'm about to make my third attempt (there's a change in the curvature from front to back, so it needs to stretch somewhat, and it's been a nightmare getting it to form right).

In other news. I've got the reinforcing bands on the inside of the lower left clamshell and have run into a fresh problem. I don't ave forearms like Popeye, but I am fairly strong. The left gauntlet -- even with the gaps for the side closures, still is digging into my arm slightly at the elbow end. Add flight suit and such and I'm not sure I'll be able to get them closed. I'll make 'em work, but I'll be taking the WOF templates I used and re-drafting them. The gaunts are the right length, but need to have more girth at the forearm ends...

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #21 on: Nov 17, 2013, 07:04 PM »
One of these days I'm going to snap and just make you use cup halves as something until you finally finish fiddling with other stuff. :P

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2013, 02:10 PM »
Nice stuff vod ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2013, 09:57 PM »
That looks great so far. Keep up the good work :)

Peregrinus

« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2013, 05:02 AM »
Teeny update. Got the power connector glued and reinforced and ready for final hardware and painting and such.

That's a simple plastic hose splice from Ace Hardware in the back. It's quite firmly anchored in place on the inside with plumbers' epoxy putty.

Here it is lined up with the gauntlet box...

Almost the same as the last one, I know, but the edges have been sanded round, the inside's been reinforced, and that gap between top and front has been filled and ground smooth. Plus, of course, the above-mentioned hose barb.

Here's mine (bottom), made from the WoF template. From looking at the various gauntlets, it's ROTJ style. Above it is one of the IOA/redkraytdragon connectors. I'd have to ask Will, but I think he made an ESB-style one.

And while I'm at it, I got the copper tubing for the hose fittings for the side box flared:

Finished assembly, with the flare nut and a bit of brass tubing as a sleeve over the copper tubing to hold the nut in place (and add a bit more girth to snug the fitting inside the hose):

Here's a quick mock-up of how it all goes together:

I still need to cut down the threaded connector a bit more. Then I still have to paint everything. But it's a step closer...

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Kardos Shantiel

• I don't need gaunts I've got the POWER GLOVE!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2013, 04:04 PM »
Loving it so far!! Any progress lately? :D

Proud member of the Dumbstruck Podcast Team!

http://www.twitch.tv/dumbstruck_podcast

Armor:

Peregrinus

« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2013, 06:54 PM »
Some. Cleaning up the left gauntlet lower clamshell, cleaning up the bottom edge of the right gauntlet upper box, mapping out dimensions for the hinge closures, drilling holes for various things... Nothing especially exciting. I expect the next photo dump will come next week sometime. Maybe go comment on my helmet WIP thread? :P *chuckle* Gettin' no love there since my last post.

Hoping also to get my right gauntlet upper clamshell finally frikkin' formed before New Year. e_e I think I mentioned before that, since the radius of the curve changes from elbow end to wrist end, the sintra doesn't like to behave. It wants to match the deeper curve of the elbow end, and then not flatten out for the wrist end. I'm going to have to do it centimeter by centimeter to avoid even more wastage. *sigh*

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Mai'jis (Havoc) Cavdinn

• Your Pain My Pleasure
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2013, 02:25 PM »
very nice work on the gaunts. are you going to glass the inside after you get them done?

Peregrinus

« Reply #28 on: Dec 20, 2013, 03:48 PM »
Nope. That'd be overkill. Laminating the layers of 1mm sintra like this makes them pretty rigid -- but still has a little flex/forgiveness.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn
« Reply #29 on: Mar 31, 2014, 11:35 PM »
The box pieces I grooved inside the fold lines and superglued them into position. I'm going to see how a hair-iron does to apply more targetted heating to work curved bits on them.

I would imagine that tracing the template directly onto the sintra and then scoring the fold lines, along with forming them over with a metal ruler, would result in very clean lines.. sintra begins to heat form at 150 degrees; perhaps a hair dryer would be more advantageous since heat guns start out at, what, 500 degrees??

I use a similar method when forming photoetch brass.  Only seems logical the method would work here.

Great work, vod.  Looking to use the same templates and adding details to my gaunts!

DC

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!