Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Scatchbuild Test

• 34 Replies

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
Re: Scatchbuild Test
« Reply #30 on: Apr 01, 2014, 03:51 AM »
My heat gun on low, held a few inches away, and kept moving does just fine with the 1mm sintra I work with for this. I only hit the edges of the box for a few seconds to soften the outer skin of the sintra that I hadn't cut all the way through. The panels I wanted to leave rigid, and just soften the outer skin in that area enough that folding the edges wouldn't stress it.

Most of the work I've been doing on these lately has been sorting out the hardware on the left gauntlet. I hope to have pics soon.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Peregrinus

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2014, 01:55 PM »
Now that the weather's improved in my neck of the woods, painting is happening. A tease -- lower clamshell halves, right side box and connector, primed for final cleanup:

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2014, 03:08 PM »
They look great ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Dar'manda

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2014, 08:17 AM »
Those look amazing!

Peregrinus

« Reply #34 on: Oct 29, 2014, 09:06 PM »
As I mentioned over in my Body Armor build thread, I have a question regarding these. I used the WizardOfFlight templates to fabricate the clamshells and so forth, and I've discovered with the left gauntlet (waiting for glue to cure on the upper-right clamshell before I can test fit) that when my bare arm is resting in the gauntlet aligned properly, the elbow end barely fits around my forearm and, indeed, digs into it a bit. This will only be an even tighter fit with pressure suit and flight suit bulking things up.

From photoscaling, they seem to be pretty much dead-on to the original costume pieces, so I know I haven't inadvertently shrunk them. Has anyone else run into this? I can fudge the joins wider with the piano hinges I'm using for closures, but I can't "shim" too much without the overall look of the gauntlets being off. I'll have pics up tonight showing what I'm talking about...

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!