Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

HBF From Toy to Troopable Conversion.

• 352 Replies

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
HBF From Toy to Troopable Conversion.
« on: Aug 01, 2010, 12:03 AM »
First up, size comparison...

1 Rubies 2 piece Jango
2 Don Post 95
3 Hasbro BF
4 Saz Krayt Dragon (1:1)

This is actually a quite large helmet and the intent of the mod will be to retain as much of that as possible. This helmet falls right in between the DP95/96 and the 1:1. It could work for folks who need either of those helmets.

« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2010, 05:15 PM by A'den Skirata » Logged

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Hasbro Boba Fett Conversion Thread
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2010, 12:04 AM »
Here is the assembled helmet out of the box...

Here it is disassembled as it comes packaged...

Here is the plan (funky colored area's will be rebuilt)

Hondo Karr

« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2010, 12:11 AM »
Here it is disassembled and cut apart...

After removing all the interrior screws, i found that to minimize disassembly, retain the electronics etc., I would use the dremel to cut along these bright greens lines...

This represents about 30 mins of removing screws and cutting.

total time to this point, including "play time" about 40 mins. Total cost $35.00 (cost of helmet)

Hondo Karr

« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2010, 12:13 AM »
quickly thrown back together with the face taped back on to show concept...

Now, this is not yet glued. There is still some clean up on the interior (screw holes etc) to be removed and smoothed.

Hondo Karr

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2010, 05:30 PM »
Alrighty, here it is with the interior glassed....

Basically I used teh resin an dthe fiber matte along the interior center seam. However, on the dome seam and the seam where the back meets the earcap, I didn't use the fiber matte, only the resin. There will be some minor clean up on the interior job as the resin dripped or ran more than anticipated. It's a little "cooler" today and much more humid which slowed the resin curing.

I actually like the venting on teh back of the helmet where the back meets the earcaps. That influenced not using teh fiber matte on those seams as Im going to try and preserve that. The interior will be covered with a double layer of screen mesh to help block the ability to see in but still allow airflow.

So, today's journey...

About 15 minutes to set up, glass and clean up. Putting the time total at 1 hour.
Cost, I actually had the resin and matte on hand so it cost me nothing. However, if you had to go and buy the stuff, the resin is about $8.00 and the matte another $5.00. I use cheap plastic bowls and plastic silver ware I get at the dollar store to mix it in and cheap foam brushes that come in a large pack for 2.00 from Walmart. So, assuming you had to buy all of that, the investment would be...17.00 combined with the 35.00 helmet puts it at 52.00 invested total at this point.

So...

Time to date: 1 hour
Cost to date:
Estimated: $52.00
Actual: $35.00

« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2010, 05:35 PM by A'den Skirata » Logged

Hondo Karr

« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2010, 05:51 PM »
Next step...

I reapplied the face of the helmet and used "For sale" signs to add 1 1/4" shims to get it back to the proper length. I also used the same "For Sale" sign to build the cheeks. At this point, everything is loosely held in place with hot glue.

Time: 30 mins
Cost: 1.00 (for "For Sale" sign)

Total time: 1 hr 30mn
Total cost:
Actual: 36.00
Estimated: 53.00

Hondo Karr

« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2010, 05:56 PM »
The added length on the face exterior was covered with 2 part plumbing epoxy. I prefer this as it has a clay or putty like consistency, until it sets then it's hard as a rock, so when applied it can be sculpted to shape without it oozing out of shape. I had this epoxy on hand from a variety of projects however, to buy a new tube it's about 4.00

Final step
before fiberglassing the interior of the rebuilt face of the helmet was to cover the exposed electronics fron where the face was removed. I used scrap from teh same piece of "For Sale" sign I used to rebuild the face of the helmet so there is no added cost. Again, held in place with hot glue.

Time: 15 mins
Cost: 0.00

Total Time: 1hr 45min
Total Cost:
Estimated: 53.00

Hondo Karr

« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2010, 11:15 AM »
On to the next...

Helmet rough sanded, just a little cleaned up, for Bondo application. Anchor holes drilled into the dent. For those unaware, the anchor holes allow a small ammount of Bondo to seap through where it can be smoothed on the interior. This allows an anchor for the Bondo glob that helps prevent it from popping out.

Time: 15 min

Next, Bondo is applied along all the major seams to be filled. Again, with this build I am leaving the vents in the back of the helmet open for airflow and I am keeping the electronics functional so you may still see the buttons on the earcap. Don't worry, that will be addressed when the time comes.

I had the Bondo on hand so again, no cost out of pocket for this project. However, if you don't have Bondo on hand and have to get it, it's about 8.00 for the small can.

Time: 15min
Estimated: 8.00

Total to date...
Time: 2hr 15min
Cost:
Estimated: 61.00

Hondo Karr

« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2010, 12:36 PM »
Bondo sanded...

Time: 40mins

Total
Time: 2hrs 55min
Cost:
Estimated: 61.00

Hondo Karr

« Reply #9 on: Aug 04, 2010, 12:40 PM »
Glazing Putty applied and sanded. this took 2 cracks at it to get it smooth enough for the next step. For those unfamiliar with Glazing Putty, it is a product made by Bondo that you do not mix. It air drives. Where as Bondo is a large area filler, Glazing Putty is for back filling shallow small imperfections. If you try to put it on too heavy it will crack and fall out. Now, I have a coiuple of tubes on Glazing Putty on hand. So again, no additional expense to me for the build. However, if you have to purchase it, it's about 4.00 a tube.

Glazing Putty applied:

Sanded off:

Time: 15mins
Cost:
Actual: 0.00
Estimated: 4.00

Total
Time: 3hrs. 10mins
Cost:
actual: 36.00
Estimated: 65.00

Hondo Karr

« Reply #10 on: Aug 04, 2010, 12:59 PM »
First primer coat applied. I used a Rustoleum 2X gray primer which I had to buy 4.00. This is not the prepaint primer coat. This coat was applied to identify imperfections that need addressing before moving on to the finishing of the helmet. I identified a few area's on the injection molded plastic that will need some clean up due to the sanding. I also identified a couple area's on the left cheek that need a bit more Glazing Putty. This will be wetsanded, reprimed and reevaluated. I estomate it will take two attempts at priming a wetsanding to get it to the finishing point.

Time: 5mins
Cost: 4.00

Total:
Time: 3hrs. 15mins
Cost:
Actual 40.00
Estimated: 69.00

Hondo Karr

« Reply #11 on: Aug 04, 2010, 06:12 PM »
2 coats of primer were applied, along with 1 touch up with the glazing putty and sanded. Helmet is now about as smooth as I can get it.

Time: 30mins

Total:
Times: 3hrs. 45mins
Cost:
Actual: 40.00
Estimated: 69.00

Hondo Karr

« Reply #12 on: Aug 06, 2010, 02:39 PM »
Time to paint! This is where, if you followed my painting and weathering method, it could get expensive. Most of the paints I had on hand, some I bought. So, we'll just estimate the cost of paint at $15.00, assuming you dont buy the 1.12 cans of WalMart brand paint) and splurge on decent stuff. Obviously the time to paint and weather and how you do it is dictated by your preferred methods and paints. However, since this is MY tutorial (  ;D ) I will show my method. Essentially, layer after layer of paint is applied without any masking agents. Once the paint apps are complete, I weather it using 150-180 grit sand paper followed by a 400 grit wetsand.

This is all of the "under coats" for the weathering effects...

Silver:

Copper:

Rust Brown:

Red:

Black:

Yellow:

Hunter Green:

Next, the helmet is wet sanded with 400 grit paper to remove any build ups etc during the painting process. This is done to prep for the finish coats.

Time: 30mins (not counting dry time)
Cost: 15.00

Totals:
Time: 4hrs. 15mins.
Cost:
Actual: 55.00
Estimated: 84.00

Hondo Karr

« Reply #13 on: Aug 06, 2010, 08:04 PM »
Paint apps on. The cost of paint in the last post includes the entire painting process so, no additional cost. I didn't take pix of each diffent color added or the masking process as I'm sur emost are familiar with it. Here is the end result of the paint... I went with an 80's Marvel/Fenn Shysa Mandalorian Protector look... Sage green, burgandy, blue and white....

Time: 1hr

Totals:
Time: 5hrs 15mins
Cost:

Hondo Karr

« Reply #14 on: Aug 06, 2010, 08:12 PM »
Weathering... consists of attacking it with 150 grit sandpaper on a hand sander followed by 400 grit wetsand. I also added the earcap. I didn't show t he mod on the right earcap/RF but it really wasn't a big deal, a little 2 part epoxy putty in the 2 screw holes and a light sanding, primer paint silver...

Time: 30min

Totals:
Time: 5hrs. 45mins
Cost:

« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2010, 09:03 PM by A'den Skirata » Logged

Hondo Karr

« Reply #15 on: Aug 06, 2010, 09:06 PM »
Covering the buttons on the earcaps... I used model glue to glue an extra piece of For Sale sign, left over from the original piece, over the buttons. This hides them and allows them to be pressable.

Time: 10mins

Totals:
Time: 5hrs 55mins
Cost:

« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2010, 03:33 PM by A'den Skirata » Logged

Hondo Karr

« Reply #16 on: Aug 07, 2010, 03:37 PM »
Carbone scoring time.... quite simply, I paint the entire bucket with Apple Barrel flat black acryllic paint and allow it to dry, then I wetsand and sink sponge the excess off. I had the paint onhand so, no additional cost to me however, to but it, it's about 2.00 a bottle.

Cleaned up...

Time: 15mins
estimated: 2.00

Totals:
Time:6hrs. 10mins
Cost:
Estimated: 86.00

Hondo Karr

Re: HBF From Toy to Troopable Conversion.
« Reply #17 on: Aug 11, 2010, 09:47 PM »
Visor installation time!

#5 Dark green welding visor. I made a paper template and taped it to the shield, then traced it with a crayon.

Cut out with scissors and ready to be hot glued into the helmet.

Time: 10min
Cost: 9.00 (visor)

Totals:
Time: 6hrs 20mins
Cost:
Actual: 64.00
Estimated: 95.00

« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2010, 09:49 PM by A'den Skirata » Logged

Hondo Karr

« Reply #18 on: Aug 11, 2010, 10:02 PM »
Here is the finished product!

Some minor details... I added an old circuit board from a remote control to the keyslots. It too about 10 mins worth of work and cost nothing. I also covered the interior of the vents with some extra window screen mesh. Again, I had it around ti cost nothing and took about 5 mins to do.

Completed helmet vs. stock

So, the end result is a TROOPABLE/APPROVABLE helmet for the club.

Now, this will not be the "helmet for everyone". But, it is a viable alternative for a 1:1 scale helmet for member to use. Using my method, the estimated time is just under 7 hours of labor, not counting drying times. The estimated cost COULD run as high as 96.00 if you have none o fthe materials needed on hand. The cost drops dramatically with each of the materials you already have. Also, the time and cost include full paint apps and visor install. The only thing the helmet needs to be used is interior padding matched to the wearer.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #19 on: Aug 12, 2010, 01:32 AM »
Fantastic tutorial, and excellent work turning that toy into a real buy'ce ;). Now, let's see how many people post "Can I use the Hasbro BF helmet?" without even looking at this thread.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

stormtrooperguy

• Awards TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Boba and Jango
« Reply #20 on: Aug 12, 2010, 01:58 AM »
with the elongated cheeks like that, it almost has a deathwatchy type look to it.

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
« Reply #21 on: Aug 12, 2010, 02:02 AM »
Now seeing the side by sides this thing will be way to big for my verd'ika for his approval kit.  May have to try this for my V2.0 though.

Those who wander aren't always lost.

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #22 on: Aug 12, 2010, 03:18 AM »
Meh. Still not a fan, but at least it looks better than out of the box.

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #23 on: Aug 12, 2010, 03:44 AM »
Minus earcaps, that is almost dead-on for an animated-style Mando bucket. I see a lot of things I'd do differently to make it more Boba-accurate, but I know I'm one of the few sticklers on here about such things. ;) I'll do my own thread about that rather than cluttering up this one.

A'den, you did a bang-up job on that thing. :)

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Koza Teroch

• Wrap a taco in a enchilada: TWO POINTS!
« Reply #24 on: Aug 12, 2010, 04:11 AM »
Hmm... ya know, not bad at all. Might use this for a future build. There's a set I designed years ago that would be perfect for this.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!