Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mandalorian Protector's GET IN HERE!

• 391 Replies

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Mandalorian Protector's GET IN HERE!
« on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:38 PM »

Do you have, are working on or planning to build a Mandalorian Protector? If so, this is your spot!

What is a Mandalorian Protector?

The Mandalorian Protectors, also known as the Mando Cabure in Mando'a, were a branch of the Mandalorian Supercommandos and were formed during the Clone Wars.

Organization and philosophy
Much of their teachings came from the Supercommando Codex which contained many commandments that not only resurrected but modernized the ancient Canons of Honor. Thus, they highlighted the many tenents of the resol'nare which governed Mandalorian society.[1] Unlike the Mandalorians of old, who were crusaders facing various other races for honor, these Mandalorians simply protected the borders of the Mandalore Sector. They also were the closest thing the Mando'ade had to a police force and worked to protect the Mandalorian people as a whole. Despite this being the case, they were at times involved in operations if the fate of the galaxy was at stake.[2] Part of the reason of the group was to stem the mercenary style ways of the Mandalorian people who had often previously fought only for money. At the time of the Clone Wars, however, its members believed in the righteousness of their cause.[1]
In terms of tactics, their strategies varied during the different periods the Protectors were in operation. At the time of the Clone Wars, they served as elite shock troopers who made use of superior weaponry as well as training to decimate their foes. Furthermore, Spar's origin as a former clone trooper meant that he knew critical weaknesses within the clone army which allowed for devastating blitzkrieg style attacks. They also made use of battle droids to distract their foes while the Protectors themselves used jetpacks to outmaneuver their foes. In the post-Clone Wars era, many of the resources the group possessed were gone and thus they had to alter their combat strategy. This led to them becoming an insurgent movement that used their police training to wage a guerrilla campaign against their enemy. However, once they regained their freedom, they returned to the old tactics of heavy weaponry and battle tactics.[1]
The missions of the Protectors were often high profile and difficult targets that were incapable of being overwhelmed by simple brute force. As a result, the Protectors preferred the use of tactics, employing mind over matter. Due to there being only 212 members in the organization, the group often found itself very busy during the Clone Wars. In the post war period, they were simply involved in liberating their home world and conducted hit-and-run operations against their foes. Following that period, their mission profile simply involved the strict protection of the Mandalore Sector.[1]
The Mandalorian Protectors were heavily centered on rank, a practice that owed itself to their culture's long tradition of discipline and the values of respect. The lowest rank was that of a private, or verd'ika. The next rank was corporal (alor'uus). The sergeant or ruus'alor was followed by the lieutenant, or ver'alor. Above these ranks were the captain (alor'ad) and commander, which, in the Mando'a, was the al'verde. The ultimate authority over the Protectors was the Mandalore who served as commander-in-chief of the group.[1]

Mandalorian Protector’s tend to have a standardized look not typically seen in other Mandalorians or in times or relative peace. The Protector’s seem to organize primarily in the Modern Era and beyond and heed the call of the Mandalore to form up at times of war. We see Mandalorian Protectors in the Clone Wars Era under Fenn Shysa, Spar and later Boba Fett. We also see the look return in the Legacy Era under Mandalore Chernan Ordo.

The look of the Mandalorian Protector seems to signify a unified military force for  the Mandalorians, although that is speculation, as it seems to be most prominent during times of war in which the Mnadalroians are fighting on behalf of Mandalore rather than as Mercenaries. It could be a traditional harking to the day sof the Neo Crusader’s, rather than the more typical custom to the Mando’ad look seen during times when Mandalroians aren’t fighting as a unified army, which is more reminiscent of the Cursader Era Mandalorians.

Mandalorian Protector’s wear recognizable Super Commando or Legacy Era armor. The primary armor color is a variety of greens, generally in muted or natural tones, not bright or fluorescing tones. The helmet is typically 3 colored. Meaning the armor’s primary color (or a similar shade) along with a primary or possibly rank color over the T and headband and a auxiliary color, not always seen on the armor, on the cheeks and back of the helmet. Auxiliary armor pieces, such as shoulder plates, knee’s and gaunts tend to be in a color other than the base green of the armor.

Is this you? Or, is this your plan? If so, this is a great place to discuss it and show it off!

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2011, 02:34 PM by Slade Kel (Marrok) » Logged

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Mandalorian Protector's GET IN HERE!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:42 PM »
Well, my wiki claims me to be one, so I guess I need to be here..... ;)
Rob

Judicial Incident Report Form (for anyone to report an issue): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=form;n=34

"This, too, shall pass." - Abraham Lincoln, 1862

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:42 PM »
I consider my armor to be Mandalorian Protector armor in design and color. Although I costume as a canon character, descriptions are vague at best and there islikely  no plausible chance it will be counteracted in the future.

Here I am...

Also, my GF's son costumes as Kom'rk Skirata. His armor was recently repainted into a Protector scheme...

Who else has a Protector or is planning one? Show off your work here and let's chat them up!

Hondo Karr

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:44 PM »
Welcome aboard Vart although by your colors I would guess you're either former or in between deployments.

While all are welcome, I'd like to keep the primary direction of this to focus more on teh Mandalroian Protectors as most commonly seen in canon with a similar, traditional color palate  ;D

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:47 PM »
Welcome aboard Vart although by your colors I would guess you're either former or in between deployments.

While all are welcome, I'd like to keep the primary direction of this to focus more on teh Mandalroian Protectors as most commonly seen in canon with a similar, traditional color palate  ;D

Yeah, my backhistory is a "former" reference....we old guys have to retire some time, you know.

I'll be lurking and reading up here on what you MP guys are doing...one of these days, I'm gonna make a ref-specific set...for now, I'm just watching and learning.  ;)
Rob

Judicial Incident Report Form (for anyone to report an issue): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=form;n=34

TheMandoMan

• MMCC #0001
« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:47 PM »
I've been considering a second set of armor in the Protector style and color scheme.  I really like the way they look, plus if a kid calls me Boba, I'll at least look enough like Boba that it won't annoy me.   :P

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:48 PM »
...plus if a kid calls me Boba, I'll at least look enough like Boba that it won't annoy me.   :P

If I used that logic, I'd be costuming Darth Vader.... ;D :D
Rob

Hondo Karr

« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:50 PM »
Ive alwasy loved the look of Boba Fett but, I don't want to be Boba Fett. As I got more and more into Mandalorians and read all the old stories of the Protectors and the newer literature on them, I found the direction I wanted to take my costume. It's still custom to me but, it fits into a unified army.

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #8 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:55 PM »
I might consider myself a remnant of the protector's, but my character didn't get his start until after Jango's death and the protectors sort of disbanded until Fenn defeated the Empire on Mandalore.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:59 PM »
Nice basis... ! I love the look of these guys myself, so i've always toyed with trying to make one.

This is the only work I have so far, other than a recently dyed flightsuit:

Ohl'd, I didn't know the protectors offered a senior discount ;)

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Hondo Karr

« Reply #10 on: Aug 18, 2010, 05:04 PM »
I might consider myself a remnant of the protector's, but my character didn't get his start until after Jango's death and the protectors sort of disbanded until Fenn defeated the Empire on Mandalore.

Well, you're kinda rolling Jaster and Jango's True Mandalorians and the Protectors together. Although teh True Mando's were intially seen in silver with trim colors and later seen with colors similar to teh Protector's, under Jango, they are seperate groups and should be treated as such.

So, long and short of it, Lucas McCoy would fit in.

Jare Hasan

• Clan Murraan PR Officer
« Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2010, 05:19 PM »
My character is the Journeyman Protector of his sector of Concord Dawn.  Red girth belt and everything.

I'm currently working on a kit upgrade that will follow Ca'tal's color scheme very closely.

There's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

Hondo Karr

« Reply #12 on: Aug 18, 2010, 05:52 PM »
Very cool , although, Journeyman Protectors and Mandalorian Protector's are not the same thing... generally. Most canon sources have them as seperate outfits whereas many fan interpretations such as wookieepedia.com kinda merge them together.

Regardless, I look forward to seeing your MP!

« Reply #13 on: Aug 18, 2010, 05:58 PM »
I was under the impression that they were one in the same. Please enlighten me as to the difference if you don't mind A'den?

I gotta say i'm intrigued as well... Jango's dad in Open Seasons said he was a Journeyman, I thought, but he was on Concord Dawn and out of Armor, so I could see some basis, but I am curious. I'm assuming the crossover happens because of mid rank protectors being named Journeyman?

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Hondo Karr

« Reply #14 on: Aug 18, 2010, 06:06 PM »
I gotta say i'm intrigued as well... Jango's dad in Open Seasons said he was a Journeyman, I thought, but he was on Concord Dawn and out of Armor, so I could see some basis, but I am curious. I'm assuming the crossover happens because of mid rank protectors being named Journeyman?

No, the midranked aren't called Journeyman. The first post shows the rank break down of the Protectors although there is no correlation of color to rank. It can somewhat be sifted from canon sources but, even those seem different at times.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!