Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mandalorian Protector's GET IN HERE!

• 391 Replies

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Mandalorian Protector's GET IN HERE!
« on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:38 PM »

Do you have, are working on or planning to build a Mandalorian Protector? If so, this is your spot!

What is a Mandalorian Protector?

The Mandalorian Protectors, also known as the Mando Cabure in Mando'a, were a branch of the Mandalorian Supercommandos and were formed during the Clone Wars.

Organization and philosophy
Much of their teachings came from the Supercommando Codex which contained many commandments that not only resurrected but modernized the ancient Canons of Honor. Thus, they highlighted the many tenents of the resol'nare which governed Mandalorian society.[1] Unlike the Mandalorians of old, who were crusaders facing various other races for honor, these Mandalorians simply protected the borders of the Mandalore Sector. They also were the closest thing the Mando'ade had to a police force and worked to protect the Mandalorian people as a whole. Despite this being the case, they were at times involved in operations if the fate of the galaxy was at stake.[2] Part of the reason of the group was to stem the mercenary style ways of the Mandalorian people who had often previously fought only for money. At the time of the Clone Wars, however, its members believed in the righteousness of their cause.[1]
In terms of tactics, their strategies varied during the different periods the Protectors were in operation. At the time of the Clone Wars, they served as elite shock troopers who made use of superior weaponry as well as training to decimate their foes. Furthermore, Spar's origin as a former clone trooper meant that he knew critical weaknesses within the clone army which allowed for devastating blitzkrieg style attacks. They also made use of battle droids to distract their foes while the Protectors themselves used jetpacks to outmaneuver their foes. In the post-Clone Wars era, many of the resources the group possessed were gone and thus they had to alter their combat strategy. This led to them becoming an insurgent movement that used their police training to wage a guerrilla campaign against their enemy. However, once they regained their freedom, they returned to the old tactics of heavy weaponry and battle tactics.[1]
The missions of the Protectors were often high profile and difficult targets that were incapable of being overwhelmed by simple brute force. As a result, the Protectors preferred the use of tactics, employing mind over matter. Due to there being only 212 members in the organization, the group often found itself very busy during the Clone Wars. In the post war period, they were simply involved in liberating their home world and conducted hit-and-run operations against their foes. Following that period, their mission profile simply involved the strict protection of the Mandalore Sector.[1]
The Mandalorian Protectors were heavily centered on rank, a practice that owed itself to their culture's long tradition of discipline and the values of respect. The lowest rank was that of a private, or verd'ika. The next rank was corporal (alor'uus). The sergeant or ruus'alor was followed by the lieutenant, or ver'alor. Above these ranks were the captain (alor'ad) and commander, which, in the Mando'a, was the al'verde. The ultimate authority over the Protectors was the Mandalore who served as commander-in-chief of the group.[1]

Mandalorian Protector’s tend to have a standardized look not typically seen in other Mandalorians or in times or relative peace. The Protector’s seem to organize primarily in the Modern Era and beyond and heed the call of the Mandalore to form up at times of war. We see Mandalorian Protectors in the Clone Wars Era under Fenn Shysa, Spar and later Boba Fett. We also see the look return in the Legacy Era under Mandalore Chernan Ordo.

The look of the Mandalorian Protector seems to signify a unified military force for  the Mandalorians, although that is speculation, as it seems to be most prominent during times of war in which the Mnadalroians are fighting on behalf of Mandalore rather than as Mercenaries. It could be a traditional harking to the day sof the Neo Crusader’s, rather than the more typical custom to the Mando’ad look seen during times when Mandalroians aren’t fighting as a unified army, which is more reminiscent of the Cursader Era Mandalorians.

Mandalorian Protector’s wear recognizable Super Commando or Legacy Era armor. The primary armor color is a variety of greens, generally in muted or natural tones, not bright or fluorescing tones. The helmet is typically 3 colored. Meaning the armor’s primary color (or a similar shade) along with a primary or possibly rank color over the T and headband and a auxiliary color, not always seen on the armor, on the cheeks and back of the helmet. Auxiliary armor pieces, such as shoulder plates, knee’s and gaunts tend to be in a color other than the base green of the armor.

Is this you? Or, is this your plan? If so, this is a great place to discuss it and show it off!

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2011, 02:34 PM by Slade Kel (Marrok) » Logged

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Mandalorian Protector's GET IN HERE!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:42 PM »
Well, my wiki claims me to be one, so I guess I need to be here..... ;)
Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:42 PM »
I consider my armor to be Mandalorian Protector armor in design and color. Although I costume as a canon character, descriptions are vague at best and there islikely  no plausible chance it will be counteracted in the future.

Here I am...

Also, my GF's son costumes as Kom'rk Skirata. His armor was recently repainted into a Protector scheme...

Who else has a Protector or is planning one? Show off your work here and let's chat them up!

Hondo Karr

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:44 PM »
Welcome aboard Vart although by your colors I would guess you're either former or in between deployments.

While all are welcome, I'd like to keep the primary direction of this to focus more on teh Mandalroian Protectors as most commonly seen in canon with a similar, traditional color palate  ;D

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:47 PM »
Welcome aboard Vart although by your colors I would guess you're either former or in between deployments.

While all are welcome, I'd like to keep the primary direction of this to focus more on teh Mandalroian Protectors as most commonly seen in canon with a similar, traditional color palate  ;D

Yeah, my backhistory is a "former" reference....we old guys have to retire some time, you know.

I'll be lurking and reading up here on what you MP guys are doing...one of these days, I'm gonna make a ref-specific set...for now, I'm just watching and learning.  ;)
Rob

TheMandoMan

• MMCC #0001
« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:47 PM »
I've been considering a second set of armor in the Protector style and color scheme.  I really like the way they look, plus if a kid calls me Boba, I'll at least look enough like Boba that it won't annoy me.   :P

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:48 PM »
...plus if a kid calls me Boba, I'll at least look enough like Boba that it won't annoy me.   :P

If I used that logic, I'd be costuming Darth Vader.... ;D :D
Rob

Hondo Karr

« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:50 PM »
Ive alwasy loved the look of Boba Fett but, I don't want to be Boba Fett. As I got more and more into Mandalorians and read all the old stories of the Protectors and the newer literature on them, I found the direction I wanted to take my costume. It's still custom to me but, it fits into a unified army.

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #8 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:55 PM »
I might consider myself a remnant of the protector's, but my character didn't get his start until after Jango's death and the protectors sort of disbanded until Fenn defeated the Empire on Mandalore.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:59 PM »
Nice basis... ! I love the look of these guys myself, so i've always toyed with trying to make one.

This is the only work I have so far, other than a recently dyed flightsuit:

Ohl'd, I didn't know the protectors offered a senior discount ;)

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Hondo Karr

« Reply #10 on: Aug 18, 2010, 05:04 PM »
I might consider myself a remnant of the protector's, but my character didn't get his start until after Jango's death and the protectors sort of disbanded until Fenn defeated the Empire on Mandalore.

Well, you're kinda rolling Jaster and Jango's True Mandalorians and the Protectors together. Although teh True Mando's were intially seen in silver with trim colors and later seen with colors similar to teh Protector's, under Jango, they are seperate groups and should be treated as such.

So, long and short of it, Lucas McCoy would fit in.

Jare Hasan

• Clan Murraan PR Officer
« Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2010, 05:19 PM »
My character is the Journeyman Protector of his sector of Concord Dawn.  Red girth belt and everything.

I'm currently working on a kit upgrade that will follow Ca'tal's color scheme very closely.

There's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

Hondo Karr

« Reply #12 on: Aug 18, 2010, 05:52 PM »
Very cool , although, Journeyman Protectors and Mandalorian Protector's are not the same thing... generally. Most canon sources have them as seperate outfits whereas many fan interpretations such as wookieepedia.com kinda merge them together.

Regardless, I look forward to seeing your MP!

« Reply #13 on: Aug 18, 2010, 05:58 PM »
I was under the impression that they were one in the same. Please enlighten me as to the difference if you don't mind A'den?

I gotta say i'm intrigued as well... Jango's dad in Open Seasons said he was a Journeyman, I thought, but he was on Concord Dawn and out of Armor, so I could see some basis, but I am curious. I'm assuming the crossover happens because of mid rank protectors being named Journeyman?

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Hondo Karr

« Reply #14 on: Aug 18, 2010, 06:06 PM »
I gotta say i'm intrigued as well... Jango's dad in Open Seasons said he was a Journeyman, I thought, but he was on Concord Dawn and out of Armor, so I could see some basis, but I am curious. I'm assuming the crossover happens because of mid rank protectors being named Journeyman?

No, the midranked aren't called Journeyman. The first post shows the rank break down of the Protectors although there is no correlation of color to rank. It can somewhat be sifted from canon sources but, even those seem different at times.

Hondo Karr

« Reply #15 on: Aug 18, 2010, 06:48 PM »
Alrighty, I deleted the original post as it kind of confused me. Between the plethora of Mandalorian lore and my screening “hopping” on my as I typed it confuddled me. So, I’m rewriting it in Word and reposting it, hopefully to better clarify things!

First, we’ll look at the True Mandalorians. They were seen Pre-Clone Wars originally under Jaster Mereel. They are not Mandalorian Protectors rather a precursor group. Originally seen, they wore silver or unpainted armor with color accents to denote rank. It would seem that red was the color of the leader or leaders, blue being the next highest rank and yellow being the lowest rank. Later in Jaster’s life and into Jango’s reign, we start to see the green appear on the armor in lieu of the silver, although the silver is still present, especially among the leader cast. The rank colors stayed the same.

Now, onto the Journeyman Protectors and Mandalorian Protectors…

Journeyman Protectors are the "Law" on Concord Dawn. They are essentially like the planets Marshalls. Jango's biological father was a Journeyman Protector. It's unknown if they wore armor as none have been seen in armor, at least that Im aware of. The only identifying mark known to be for the Journeyman Protector's to date is the red girthbelt. If you notice, neither Jaster Mereel nor Jango Fett wore the red girthbelt. Jango did wear a brown bolo belt of similar design but not the same thing. The red girthbelt is the associated piece to Journeyman Protectors. There are canon sources that state Jaster was Concord Dawns JP prior to Jango's father, some of that can be canon ambiguity relating the creation of Jaster and one of Boba's possible backstories. I cant say for certain if Jaster was or wasn't. However, we do know Jango's biological father was and Jango was not. The last corrected backstory for Boba had him serving as a JP for a time early in his life post Clone Wars.

Mandalorian Protectors were supercommando's originally formed during the Clone Wars. They are essentially the standing army of the Mandalorian sector of space and follow the Resol'nare as laid out by Jaster Mereel. The tie in factor here is the armor color, the green base color on all of them. Outside of the old Marvel Comics 80's stories there isnt a whole lot on the Protectors. Mostly alot of speculation, kinda the same as with the Journeyman Protectors. The JP's were isolated to one planet in the sector while the MP's were the entire sectors military.

Now, speculation only, based upon modern era sources, it seems that when the Mandalorians unite under the Mandalore as a united military front, they seem to repaint their armor into the colors of the protectors. There is source material for this from the 80's Marvel Comics which included the Clone Wars Era and the Rise of the Empire Era's. Newer dark Horse comics show it again during the Legacy Era under Mandalore Chernan Ordo and there is a story set during the Vong War where Boba and a group of Protectors, essentially all duplicates of him, battle Han Solo as a test for combat against the Vong. It's unclear from source material if the Mandalorians all wore the Protectors greens during the VongWar or not. But, in the one story from the era where we have a visual reference, they do.

Also, by the time of Vong War, Boba had renamed the MP's to the Ori'ramikad. Most written chronicles by the Legacy of the Force Era have his Ori'ramikd wearing their own look. Although the colors of the MP's are still prominantly seen on Mandalore.

Now, during the height of the Mandalorian Protector’s, our best references are Boba Fett, Spar, Fenn Shysa and Tobi Daala. All were Leader cast and wore the green’s with red trim on the helmet and a variety of green’s blues, reds and yellows on the armor accenting the primary greens. Jodo Kast’s armor is Mandalorian Protector from a series of speculated sources. It was somehow scavenged. It may have belonged to an unknown MO or it could have been an extra set of Boba Fett’s. The primary base color was green with all yellow accents. It’s rather unclear if there was a color coordinated to rank system as we only see leader cast wearing red and Jodo Kast in yellow or unknown rank or origin.

By the Legacy Era, under Chernan Ordo, the Mandalorians are back in their Protector greens. From the artwork, Chernan Ordo, the Mandalore, is wearing a new mask of the Mandalore, the kreb’es, for a helmet. The mask seems to be forged to the helmet like Canderous Ordo’s was. SPECULATION… same surname, possibly related, possibly the same helmet/mask or a modification of it. Perhaps a whole new mask for the Mandalore. Anyway, in addition to the masked helmet that Chernan Ordo wears, he’s wearing blue and yellow accents on his armor. His shoulders are blue his gaunts are yellow. Hondo Karr is seen in his Protector get up as well. He seems to be a lesser leader cast and has yellow and violet accents on his armor. Yellow helmet trim, gaunts and knee’s, violet bicep armor. There are some other’s pictured and not named. Most seem to have some combo of yellow and blue on their armor. Vevec is another named Mandalorian with the green base. All of his accents are violet… helmet trim, gaunts, and biceps armor. Now to further confuddle thing, Yaga Auchs seems to be of a leader cast, lesser than the Mandalore but higher than Karr. He’s wearing armor that is possibly a brown or antiqued gold/bronze/copper in color. His shoulders and gaunts are green. He’s seen killing one of his subordinates wearing the same armor but with yellow helmet trim. Auchs isn’t seen in helmet so there’s really no way to know what , if any color markings their were on his helmet.

From the whole “history” of the MP’s, I wouldn’t be too caught up on color denoting rank. It could mean anything from rank to unit affiliation, clan affiliation, personal preference etc.

The key for the MP’s is the green base color, auxiliary color(s) are personal preferance as well as shade of green. However, it would be most accurate to avoid very bright greens. Greens of the olive, drab, sage, moss etc seem to be the best color matches.

I know that was a lot more than asked but hopefully it helps to clear some things up!

« Reply #16 on: Aug 18, 2010, 06:53 PM »
Perfectly what I was looking for, actually.

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Aug 18, 2010, 07:06 PM »
I've thought about it and I may start one as a second kit. Money being the main object, so we'll see. ;)

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond

Jare Hasan

• Clan Murraan PR Officer
« Reply #18 on: Aug 18, 2010, 07:27 PM »
So quick question...where does Boba's Panzer Grey ESB kit fit in?  OR are we considering only ROTJ, comics, and SE the Protector kit?

There's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

Hondo Karr

« Reply #19 on: Aug 18, 2010, 07:36 PM »
ESB was green.  In fact, the SE Fett is essentially just the ROTJ armor with the ESB helmet and flightsuit. There are a couple other VERY minor differences but nothing significant.

There was a PrePro version that had a more grey helmet with the green plates but, that never made canon.

Here's the TDH Wiki article and links for Boba Fett's costumes...

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/wiki/Boba_Fett

« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 07:44 PM by A'den Skirata » Logged

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #20 on: Aug 18, 2010, 07:41 PM »
Just out of curiosity, will you (if you are able) be adding scans of the armor you mentioned to help potential builds fall within proposed CRLs?

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
Above and Beyond

Kebiin Galaar

• I fight your wars
« Reply #21 on: Aug 18, 2010, 07:41 PM »
After reading everything you wrote A'den I think this is what I was looking for since the beginning. Very cool.

The  purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is
supplemental.

Semper Mando!!!

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #22 on: Aug 18, 2010, 07:43 PM »
So quick question...where does Boba's Panzer Grey ESB kit fit in?  OR are we considering only ROTJ, comics, and SE the Protector kit?

The only real gray on the ESB is on the helmet and a small amount around scratches on the armor.  It's not really enough to be a definitive color change that would not classify that specific set as MP colored.

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Hondo Karr

« Reply #23 on: Aug 18, 2010, 07:45 PM »
Just out of curiosity, will you (if you are able) be adding scans of the armor you mentioned to help potential builds fall within proposed CRLs?

David.

You mean pix of different Protector looks? I suppose I can get around to doing that. LOL. However, there really is no propsed CRL for Protector's. it's merely a different coloring/costuming option for perspective and existing members.

Kebii'tra Verda

« Reply #24 on: Aug 18, 2010, 07:48 PM »
Cool! Thanks! It would be good to have a goal to shoot towards.

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
Above and Beyond

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!