Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mandalorian Protector's GET IN HERE!

• 391 Replies

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

• Last official Verd'ika with no relatives in!
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Mandalorian Protector's GET IN HERE!
« Reply #25 on: Aug 18, 2010, 08:10 PM »
i was thinking about eaither reapinting my kit, or doing a second kit. I am not sure what i would do...
Anywayz, i was thinking befoer you even posted this that i might make a protector, and so i was wondering if these colors are already taken by any canon guy/gal...
Green, then secondary Orange, with small areas of black.....
Also, would a tan flight suit, and brownish red vest be fine for the protector look?

Teren Clan

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #26 on: Aug 18, 2010, 08:34 PM »
You mean pix of different Protector looks? I suppose I can get around to doing that. LOL. However, there really is no propsed CRL for Protector's. it's merely a different coloring/costuming option for perspective and existing members.

Canon pic refs would be nice....as soon as you can find the time, bro!  ;)
Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."
« Reply #27 on: Aug 18, 2010, 08:35 PM »
I'm more than happy to do some leg work on finding pics. I may not know the whole article, but it;d save some leg work on poor A'den. A lot of the 'canon' refs are from the Marvel Comics though.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #28 on: Aug 18, 2010, 08:37 PM »
I'm more than happy to do some leg work on finding pics. I may not know the whole article, but it;d save some leg work on poor A'den. A lot of the 'canon' refs are from the Marvel Comics though.

I've got a huge digital SW comic collection, but I don't know exactly what issues would feature the MP's...if anyone knows, I'll be glad to search my collection and see what I have.... ;)
Rob

« Reply #29 on: Aug 18, 2010, 08:42 PM »
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian_Protector

At the bottom there is an 'Appearances' field... Try and find some of those mayhaps?

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #30 on: Aug 18, 2010, 09:06 PM »
I have my mission....lemme see what I can dig up by tomorrow.... ;)
Rob

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #31 on: Aug 18, 2010, 09:15 PM »
Obvious ones from wiki sources....more to follow.... ;)

Rob

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #32 on: Aug 18, 2010, 10:02 PM »
I have the comic that the first pic comes from. It came with a Fenn Shysa/Dengar combo figure pack.

David.

« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 10:08 PM by Jaiden Turr'n Verda » Logged
#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #33 on: Aug 18, 2010, 10:03 PM »
I differ in my interpretation of the data, A'den, but I'm doing Fenn Shysa and an Apprentice Protector (yellow visor trim) version for my custom v1. A goodly portion of those will be interchangable between the two. I'm making my Protector-Kyr as a placeholder until I can get going on my helmets in metal and finish Shysa and my v2 Kyr. Everything that won't be switchable over to Fenn is sintra and interchangable accessories. :)

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #34 on: Aug 18, 2010, 10:14 PM »
Most of the images we'll get will be the same or from the same sources. There will be some variation by artist, issue Marvel Vs. Darkhorse etc. The main thing is the base color of the armor is green, not a brite green either. As far as flightsuits in artwork, movie stills, toys etc., you'll see light gray, dark gray, charcoal gray, an almost blue hued gray, black, tan and green. But honestly, for teh sake of Protectors as recognized by the club, the green base with accent colors is probably the most significant issue.

Here are some pix.,..

]

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #35 on: Aug 18, 2010, 10:15 PM »
Pere's the man on this stuff BTW. He can probably make more sense of teh canon mess and feed us more info than we can process!

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #36 on: Aug 18, 2010, 10:17 PM »
I've got those 4 comics...SW Republic 67, SW 68, 69 & 100...I'll cull through them for references and post up tomorrow, if you still need 'em... ;)
Rob

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #37 on: Aug 18, 2010, 11:05 PM »
So let me see if I have the general idea:

DISCLAIMER: I am not trying to give a detailed description of every part of the armor, nor is this going to be a complete list. I am only attempting to see if I have the basic idea correct based on the references available at the time of this post. I will leave the final say up to the Council and Approval Team.

SOFT GOODS:
          Flightsuit: shades from light grey to green, including OD Green - must have tool pockets on shins and thigh pouches or armor on both (Fenn Shysa)
          Ammo belt: green, black, mustard, or orange with matching packs
          Girth: Brown, mustard, or red
          Flak Vest: grey, green, or off white
          Gloves: match flightsuit or ammo belt
          Boots: mostly grey with toe spikes
ARMOR:
          Chest and back: various shades of muted green
          Legs: primarily knees - mustard, orange, or green (Fenn Shysa has all green leg armor including thigh and shin matching the torso)
          Shoulders: muted blue, muted purple (violet), green, or mustard
          Gauntlets: red, mustard, muted blue, green, muted purple (violet)
HELMET:
          Cheeks and back: white, silver, or green
          Upper cheeks: black, muted blue, or darker green than suit
          Mandibles: matches shoulders or gauntlets

I hope this helps in the endeavor to create a possible CRL for this section of characters.

OT: All this talk of the MPs has me thinking - whatever happened to the idea of CW Death Watch grunt costumes? I think I missed it, but did we ever come up with a CRL for that?

Back on topic...

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
Above and Beyond

Hondo Karr

« Reply #38 on: Aug 18, 2010, 11:16 PM »
That's a good listing but honestly probably overkill. We're still going to allow for a good deal of customization with these as long as the end result look is a Protector in design. wew're not so much looking to create a CRL here as just a place for Protectors to congregate.

If youve seen teh new Medics Child Board, we are playing around with the idea of starting profession based Brigades and the Medics are the test group. Im hoping to see the Protectors become a brigade when teh time comes.

As for the DW, there are CRL's in they listed with the canon character CRL's. No ones completed one yet. We're having Stormtrooperguy review and do a minor rewrite on the Vizsla CRL and may do so as well with th grunts once we get some approved.

However, again, unless someone is applying as a canon character,we're not going to have a seperate CRL for protectors beyond the clubs CRL's. Just some expectations in color.

« Reply #39 on: Aug 18, 2010, 11:42 PM »
Y'know even though I am doing a True Mandolorian I am starting to think I should throw in my chips with the Protectors since at best I can hope people will think I am a protector and not just a way off cannon Boba.

Founder of M.A.N.T.A
Mandalorians Against Ninja Theme Armor

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #40 on: Aug 19, 2010, 12:31 AM »
At the root of any interpretation we apply is the fact that the most crucial single piece of EU reference -- Marvel Star Wars #68 -- sufferd from '80s comic book production values. This affected both the details of the line-drawing and the colouration. This and the next issue are the earliest sources I can say for sure use the term "Protector", and ties the term to the uniform.

The problems then arise when later contributors to the EU use the erroneous colours or -- worse -- the (inconsistent) depiction of Fenn Shysa wearing a padded pressure-suit as an indication of the colours of a fully decked-out (armoured) Protector. The later reference illustrations -- for Boba raining the new Protectors, for Fenn Shysa's helmet in the New Essential Guide, and so forth -- all carry forward errors as accurate. I try to undo that damage in my costuming research. Yes, I allow fo rindividual interpretation, and am fine being considered the hardest of hard-liners with what is "accurate". ;)

The EU between ROTJ and the Star Wars Renaissance (Dark Empire and Heir to the Empire really got things going again a decade after that movie) is a little murky. I have everything that came out, but I have a hard time tracking down original sources fo rthings that showed up in the echo chamber of comics, novels, the role-playing game, genre magazines, and so forth. I don't know where the phrase "Journeyman Protector" first showed up, but the earliest source I can find printing it is the role-playing game from West End Games, in Boba Fett's backstory.

When Open Seasons came out much, much later, it did a pretty durn good job of reconciling many of the conflicting backstories for Boba Fett into something resembling consistency. Jaster Mereel was now a separate individual, and not an earlier identity, for instance. The True Mandalorians were a movement Jaster started as a counterpoint to both the New Mandalorians and the Death Watch -- an attempt to get back to the traditions they'd moved away from. He, himself, was given one of Boba's back-stories -- a former Journeyman Protector who was kicked out of the organization for murdering his superior officer. He had other Protectors join him in the True Mandalorian movement, and had the tacit support of others who didn't want to get directly involved.

Jango's dad's role in all this makes more sense in light of the new cartoons. He was being a good pacifistic New Mandalorian on Concord Dawn, and the Protectors at that time were still supposed to both exist as an official organization (not formed by Spar) and be more like London's Metropolitain Police Force -- unarmed peacekeepers -- in line with the New Mandalorian philosophy. Hence Papa Fett and his family not beiing in armour. But the fact that he was lending support and giving refuge to Jaster and his band shows where his sympathies truly lay.

We see three visor frame colours repeated over and over and over on all Protector and Protector-like helmets -- red, yellow, and blue. Jaster and Boba have both been referenced as having made it to the rank of Journeyman, so that makes the most sense for their shared red visor frames.

Those with yellow visor frames have almost always been shown to have less authority and been followers, so it makes the most sense as the rank colour for Apprentice Protectors. But...

One unresolved issue is the Governor of Galidraan "restoring" Jango's armour while Jango was being a slave, and giving it a blue visor frame. If that was in fact the original colour under the red that Jango had at the time, then that would make more sense as the Apprentice rank colour. I would have been much happier if -- as the "last Mandalorian" he was supposed to be at the time of AOTC -- he had stripped off all colour and put the blue visor frame on himself, considering himself to have attained the rank of Master, either by accomplishment or by default.

Gonna give this a chance to digest. *chuckle* As you can see, I've been fascinated by Mandalorians since 1978. ;D

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Hondo Karr

« Reply #41 on: Aug 19, 2010, 10:34 AM »
So, now who's building one!?

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #42 on: Aug 19, 2010, 01:30 PM »
Daaaaaaaanm.....thanks, Pere.  ;)

Like Pere said, the coloring is crappy, but here they are, in all their 1980's glory... ;)

Marvel Star Wars #68 and 69 (featuring Fenn Shysa, that Southern rogue)...

Rob

« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2010, 01:36 PM by Ohl'd Vart » Logged

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #43 on: Aug 19, 2010, 01:37 PM »
Marvel Star Wars #100...(Fenn again)....

Rob

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #44 on: Aug 19, 2010, 01:48 PM »
Dark Horse Star Wars Republic #67 (dead Protectors)....

...and that's all I have, as per those references. Not much, but with the stuff A'den posted, it's enough to get folks familiar with the coloring schemes (using canon comic references, anyway).... ;)

Rob

Allfather

• Reconciler
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #45 on: Aug 19, 2010, 04:13 PM »
Well...I wasn't intending to do a Protector style kit, but I was told by a couple people it looked the part. Of course, I had no idea what the Protectors were until doing a little research and seeing this thread. Here's mine. You guys tell me if it fits in.

"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when
« Reply #46 on: Aug 19, 2010, 04:14 PM »
I'd say it fits, and i'd troop beside it!

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #47 on: Aug 19, 2010, 04:17 PM »
Sweeeet.  ;)
Rob

Kebii'tra Verda

« Reply #48 on: Aug 19, 2010, 04:34 PM »
PLEASE don't let my boy see that gatling gaunt...he'll beg me to make him one!

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
Above and Beyond
« Reply #49 on: Aug 19, 2010, 04:46 PM »
Hmmmmm.. What was his account name? *boots up PM*

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!