Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mandalorian Protector's GET IN HERE!

• 391 Replies

Klyn Voddher

• Jai'galaar Clan
Re: Mandalorian/Journeyman Protector's GET IN HERE!
« Reply #200 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:50 AM »
That's a really nice kit. I wish my dad would have made me a beskar'gam when i was younger.  ;D

But now i got my own and thought i'd leave it just in the right place:

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #201 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:54 AM »
Congrats again Klyn  ;) and A'den your wee mando looks great  ;)

Ca'tal

• Clan Scyk
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Most invasions trooped in 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #202 on: Mar 06, 2011, 02:26 PM »
Teaser...

“Morale is born of loyalty, patriotism, discipline, and efficiency, all of which breed confidence in self and in comrades…Morale is at one and the same time the strongest, and the most delicate of growths. It withstands shocks, even disasters of the battlefield, but can be destroyed utterly by favoritism, neglect, or injustice.”
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

My opinions are stated as my own. If you disagree with them feel free to disregard them. They are after all...opinions.

Gesai Primax

• Death becomes you
« Reply #203 on: Mar 06, 2011, 10:43 PM »
Sweet Ca'tal! Is that one of Fettronics' new light boards?

Ca'tal

• Clan Scyk
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Most invasions trooped in 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #204 on: Mar 06, 2011, 11:29 PM »
It is indeed. V3 3 stage. It's sweeeeeet.

“Morale is born of loyalty, patriotism, discipline, and efficiency, all of which breed confidence in self and in comrades…Morale is at one and the same time the strongest, and the most delicate of growths. It withstands shocks, even disasters of the battlefield, but can be destroyed utterly by favoritism, neglect, or injustice.”
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

My opinions are stated as my own. If you disagree with them feel free to disregard them. They are after all...opinions.

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #205 on: Mar 07, 2011, 06:40 AM »
Okay, it's been a while since I've contributed to this thread.

I've thought about changing my primary color from the dark hammered metal to a kelly green. I'm going to keep the gold and silver highlights. I don't have it finished yet because I have a few more additions I want to put on it, like a backpack (which I know I could add later) and I'll post up my work here in a few days.

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond

Ca'tal

• Clan Scyk
« Reply #206 on: Mar 23, 2011, 10:34 AM »

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

« Reply #207 on: Apr 04, 2011, 03:02 AM »
Ok, so I'm committing a forum foul here, but I just couldn't make it through the 16 pages of replies.  I made it to page four though....

So I see you guys are all in agreement to the JPs being mostly green with yellow shoulders and knees. (comic and toy style) but I'm sure somewhere in there you leave things alittle more open.  Here is the food for thought I have on this with a question.  So I guess I am to assume that before Boba joined the JPs he had all yellow armor?  I base this on the chipping on the plates.  Under the green is yellow and under that is the bare metal and/or silver.  It's the exact same shade as the left shoulder and knees.  The damage is seen even on the back and cod.  The right has the more orange color.

So chronologically, I guess it goes that he painted Jango's or a one of his spare sets from silver to yellow.  Then joins the JPs and just has to paint the chest pieces, cod and back green.  The gaunts are likely painted green too, despite the slightly different color.  Somewhere along the line he paints or acquires the orange shoulder.  Then for his ROTJ escapades, he switches the left gaunt or both and they get painted red.  I'm not going into jetpacks.  I'll also assume that the dark gray is primer or something.

The helmet has hints of the past too.  The main parts are pretty clear cut, since it's just really the green and red with silver base.  There is some of that dark gray again too.  On the back panel is the interesting part.  The green is brighter and not only is the dark gray seen, but also a "cement" and "cream" colors.

I just wanted to bring it up to those who have not noticed.  I just always figured at one point in time Boba was all yellow.  Maybe that was the previous owners color, who knows.  Some things are best left a mystery.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #208 on: Apr 04, 2011, 05:35 AM »
We definitely know Boba's armor has a past. I've always considered the yellow to be a primer coat. It is the exact shade of zinc chromate metal primer -- which is what I have for mine. There are other, oranger layers of yellow over that on the shoulders and knees.

Since the helmet was painted separately from the armor, they didn't follow the same plan. Joe Johnston intended the different shades of red and green in their respective areas to be indicative of oxidized outer layers being chipped away to expose fresher paint underneath. Then I consider the light and medium grays of the earcaps and main helmet, repsectively, to be their own primer coats... which again is what I have for mine -- Rust-Oleum's self-etching (darker) and clean metal (very light) gray primers.

Since the helmet is probably the most important piece of kit a Mando has, and Boba's is so much more weathered than his armor, I like to think he's had it longer, and the body armor is a later supplemental or replacement set. After all, he has two different sets of gauntlets (at least -- more if we consider some of the pre-production or animated versions) in different colors. And the helmet's probably been repainted a couple times, too (although, apparantly, not since he got that crater knocked out of his dome).

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn
« Reply #209 on: Apr 04, 2011, 12:36 PM »
I realize the real world reasons why and what what done, but I was looking at it as in universe. 

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #210 on: Apr 04, 2011, 12:43 PM »
Technically, in-'verse, Boba didn't become an MP until decades after he wore his current colors. He had been wearing green armor with yellow and red trim for many years before taking over from Fenn Shysa as mand'alor. If I remember correctly, it also wasn't until years after that happened that he reformed the mandalorian protectors, and when he did, he did not require them to repaint their armor, though some did so for tradition's sake.

I don't recall ever coming across any literature or comic book actually detailing his getting the armor he wore up to and through the movies, but presumably it was already painted in the MP color scheme when he obtained it.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #211 on: Apr 04, 2011, 01:03 PM »
I wasn't talking so much about the yellow knees and shoulder as I am the clear indication of all his armor being the same yellow.  It's never referred to in fiction and I guess they used it because it's a nice color contrast to the green.  I just never hear anyone talk about the yellow chest plates.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #212 on: Apr 04, 2011, 01:06 PM »
Huh, now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about it either. I think it's probably because he's never shown (or at least I've never seen or heard of him) wearing just yellow. Going by the weathering though, you're right that it stands to reason that at some point the armor was all yellow, or at least the chest plates were.

« Reply #213 on: Apr 04, 2011, 01:27 PM »
I'm sure alot of it is that most people are unaware of the yellow around the damage points.  Leave it to us costumers, huh.  But of course we have all developed backstories and stuff based on these small details. 

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #214 on: Apr 04, 2011, 02:05 PM »
Well, remember Holiday Special and Droids Boba Fett... STG is working on that version of Boba and he believes the yellow is the same shade seen in the weathering on others.

Who really knows?  It will likely never be written but, perhaps he repainted the armro based on mood, feeling favorite color at the time etc. Also, in OS, Jango wear the green and yellow armor with the red trimemd visor, perhaps that's where it came from? We know from the EU he has mulitple sets and different mission specific accessories too. That would further explain the visual differences in ROTJ, ESB and the SE Boba Fett's.

Peregrinus

« Reply #215 on: Apr 04, 2011, 07:33 PM »
*shrug* I was looking at it in in-universe terms, recognizing real-world variance to justify a possible explanation. To me, his helmet's the only original part of his kit left, which was primered dark gray. The left and right earcaps (which are separate pieces that cover the electronic components of the helmets a/v system) got their own primer coats -- light gray for the left maybe indicating it was a replacement cover piece.

The back skirting has so much paint wear, it's possible he repainted that once before, primering it with a different shade (the concrete gray), and that's just been that badly beaten up again. Or it might be the other way around -- that the concrete is the original primer color for the helmet, and he's left that as-is for some reason but repainted the rest at some point, hence less paint damage. Possibilities.

The fact that all the rest of his armor has the same chromate-yellow undercoat makes that a shoe-in for a zinc chromate primer coat, to me, and that it's one of the several sets of armor he has on hand. It might be his original set repainted. It might be a scavenged or purchased supplemental set.

Technically, in-'verse, Boba didn't become an MP until decades after he wore his current colors.

We're talking about the stuff about Boba being a Journeyman Protector years ago before being exiled/leaving, along with Fenn Shysa and Tobbi Dala or just around the same time as them (what with the whole Spar retcon). Shysa reformed the Protectors after the fall of the Empire, and it isn't stated yet post-Legacy of the Force if Boba takes over leading that organization or not.

I'm sure alot of it is that most people are unaware of the yellow around the damage points.

Which is why I recommend plowing through the accumulated research on the Dented Helmet for insights into the minutić of Boba's or Jango's costumes. I've got Lee Malone's painstakingly-researched list of the original paints used and the damage pattern templates to go from for my Fenn Shysa/Protector armor. I've mentioned the zinc chromate primer idea on here a few times, too. *shrug*

I'll take a picture this evening and post it of bottles of the "Reefer Yellow" (the base coat for the shoulders and knees) next to "Zinc Chromate" (which was the paint for the scratches on the rest of the torso armor). They're so identical as to make no difference. The one's a railroad enamel, as were the other two yellows used on the shoulders and knees, and the other's a military enamel, as was the green used for the rest of the torso plates. I've mentally raised an eyebrow at that palette split, but...

Since zinc chromate is used as a metal primer, it just makes sense to me. As does the use of other common metal primers for the helmet. I imagine zinc chromate is as useful a protectant for durasteel in-universe as it is for regular steel and aluminum out here in the real world...

--Jonah

« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2011, 07:34 PM by Peregrinus » Logged
MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Peregrinus

« Reply #216 on: Apr 04, 2011, 07:40 PM »
Also, in OS, Jango wear the green and yellow armor with the red trimemd visor, perhaps that's where it came from? We know from the EU he has mulitple sets and different mission specific accessories too.

My only problem with that is that Tem Morrison is 5'7" and Jeremy Bulloch at the time of ESB was 6'1". Jango's helmet is also visibly smaller than Boba's. Boba might have worn Jango's armor, refitted to him, when he was a teenager, but he would've outgrown it well before ESB. And Jango's original helmet was lightsabered in half by Mace Windu during the Clone Wars, even if it were the right size...

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #217 on: Apr 04, 2011, 07:52 PM »
If I recall, didn't he not wear armor while a Journeyman Protector? Wasn't that his whole attempt at a real life thing? Especially given that JPs were not technically affiliated with the mandalorians as a whole?

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #218 on: Apr 04, 2011, 07:54 PM »
That's out of universe in it's explanation. In universe, Boba is Jango's clone. So likely he'd be closer to the right size. Jango was explained in KT's books as being stunted because he was malnurished as a child. Boba led a hard life post Jango's death. Whether he would have fulfilled his full genetic potential is unknown. The amror's were built for their wearers, not the story per se.

Also, we know it's a different helmet now but, the armor... the old green armor could be the same. We know the silver armor is different.

Peregrinus

« Reply #219 on: Apr 05, 2011, 01:48 AM »
FIrst, as promised, the picture. I was off a bit. It was "UP Armor Yellow", not "Reefer Yellow", that was nearly identical to the "Zinc Chromate".

Regarding Boba's height versus Jango, what's on the screen takes precendence. In EMpire Strikes Back, Boba Fet and all cues around him will peg him at ~6'1", while all visual cues and other actors, etc., in Attack of the Clones will peg Jango at ~5'7". Since that's how tall the actors were/are, that's how tall the characters were/are. Up to us to find a way to justify it. Just cuz they're clones doesn't mean they're going to grow up the same. Look at identical twins. The malnourishment thing was created specifically to explain why Jango was so much shorter than his clone son.

Back on track...

If I recall, didn't he not wear armor while a Journeyman Protector? Wasn't that his whole attempt at a real life thing? Especially given that JPs were not technically affiliated with the mandalorians as a whole?

I still don't know where this whole Journeyman Protector =/= Mandalorian Protector thing came from. Just because Jango's father was shown not wearing armor on Concord Dawn whilst working the farm? Heck, even Kal SKirata didn't wear his armor all the time when on Mandalore.

'Sides, here's the illustration of the holo referenced in the books, of Boba and Sintas and baby Ailyn:

And that was when Boba was a Protector.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Allfather

• Reconciler
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #220 on: Apr 05, 2011, 03:51 PM »
Someone lemme know when we get this thread back to simply working on armor that looks somewhat the part of "Protectors". Just can't take the constant arguing about fictional characters and who is "right" about things that really have little specific info and gets changed every time some other author gets hold of the characters and retcons them to fit their story.

Just show me some cool armor people are doing...I'm a pretty simple dude.

"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Hondo Karr

« Reply #221 on: Apr 05, 2011, 03:51 PM »
touche'

Peregrinus

« Reply #222 on: Apr 05, 2011, 04:00 PM »
As far as the onscreen height stuff, what you're explaining are mechanics of filim making, not in universe reasoning. With Episode II the in universe reasoning is that Boba is a clone of Jango. Boba and Jango don't really appear on screen with many or any of the same characters so using relative height comparisons with actors is out. The actor selected to play Boba was simply too old and didnt have the "look" they wanted for Jango and the clones. Tem got the part but happened to be shorter. Since all the realistic height comparisons aren't in universe related it's easy to look past.

So... The Canon Brigade is supposed to ignore a canon source... :P The films are primary source material. The EU has to be in compliance with what's shown in them. We can't ignore something in the films just because it's inconvenient. No, I don't think Stormtroopers' armour is held together with gaffer's tape, but they are different heights. One of them did bonk his head on a door. Et cetera. We see too much of that through the Original Trilodgy to ignore it. Boba stood next to Vader too often to try to claim he's six inches shorter than he is. The actors' heights are the characters' heights. Has always been so, and still is. All Eu sources that mention it peg Boba at just over six feet, and Jango in the 5'7" to 5'8" range.

I utterly fail to see why a clone has to end up exactly identical to their host. That's not how reality works. (I know, bringing reality into things again...) They have different life experience, different nutirtional and gravitational and viral and bacteriological and radiological exposures, triggering different genes at different times to different degrees... Boba had good, steady, regular meals and top-shelf medical care up until he was nine. If he continued eating well through his teens, he ought to end up taller than Jango easily. I'll even allow for him to look identical to Jango facially, as well as the other clones, even though that likely wouldn't happen either -- that's explicitly shown in the films, so I can't dismiss it.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Peregrinus

« Reply #223 on: Apr 05, 2011, 04:01 PM »
Someone lemme know when we get this thread back to simply working on armor that looks somewhat the part of "Protectors". Just can't take the constant arguing about fictional characters and who is "right" about things that really have little specific info and gets changed every time some other author gets hold of the characters and retcons them to fit their story.

Just show me some cool armor people are doing...I'm a pretty simple dude.

Sorry, Bedlam. As I said, I feel strongly about it. *heh* :-X

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #224 on: Apr 05, 2011, 04:20 PM »
As a costuming club, there has to be a point where you find a line you don't cross because to do so would a) cause people to get uterly confused as to what is and isn't right, making them lose interest in ever trying to achieve a CRL-passable costume, or b) you piss people off to the point of them thinking we are elite-ist in our thinking that only a select few will ever reach "our" standards.

I'm not saying you don't have a valid point, P, but the fact is we are a fan group trying to make sense of the politics of a story that is constantly evolving. Sometimes to stay current we need to just go with the proverbial flow since we didn't come up with the initial story in the first place. This is by all intents and purposes, still Uncle George's property and at any point he could tell us all to bugger off.

However, the fans, in turn, have put him at a quandary because we, the fans, have come up with so much source material that sounded good at the time and flowed with current thinking. Now that the PT is complete and we have a canon source for the origins of Bobo Fett and the clones, yes the rest of it is still up to interpretation by the fans. But, the fact remains that Uncle George can change it any time he wants.

As fans, if we love the original concept of the story, we will stick with it and try to have it make sense to us. But only those that think Lucas "owes" us something for sticking with him so long will be the ones offended and walk away when things don't go our way.

Again, we are fans stuck in the middle. If we can't handle that, maybe we should hang it all up and call it a day.

"Nuff said...now can we please get on with life? :P

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!