Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Macrobinocular help!

• 9 Replies

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

• Last official Verd'ika with no relatives in!
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Macrobinocular help!
« on: Sep 13, 2010, 09:50 PM »
Hey guyz,
So, i want to make a macrobinocular attackment for my helmet, but i can't seem to make a template for it...
incase you guyz don't know what macros are, here is a pic:
Link to best pic i could find
So, i want to make those and put them on my helmet, but i am having some problems making them...
I know somebod on here has made a pair, but i forget who. Do you guyz have any advice on how to make them? mostly the templates and stuff.... i will make it out of sintra most likely...
thanks!

Ch'ren

Teren Clan

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Sistine Chest Plate - Official Member with most intricate paint job Open Seasons Death Watch Brigade MEmber Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Macrobinocular help!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2010, 09:59 PM »
You're probably thinking of Mereel A'denla, he's the mando with the macros.  He made them from scratch though, and there are no templates, that I know of.  Your best bet is probably to make a cardboard mock-up pair then reproduce the mockup in Sintra.  I know Mereel has some great photos of his set though, so if you ask him nicely he'll probably share them with you.

-Abby Lusk (MMCC Official Member #81)
Quartermaster for the MMCC 2009-May 2013

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2010, 10:23 PM »
ah yes, thats his name! xD
and ya, i know there is no templates, but i just failed at making them so...

Teren Clan

Biohazard

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2010, 10:30 PM »
You'll have to learn how to make them. Mereel has said to me in person that he's had the request several times, but can't make templates because his helmet is not the measurements that your helmet will likely be.

Learning how to do it yourself is a good way to exercise your brain. :D On my helmet, I added a visor. I had to literally sit down with some paper, cardboard, and tape, and try to make a template on the fly using only those tools and a ruler. After two or three prototypes, I eventually settled on some even measurements, and went at it and made the thing out of sintra, and it worked out amazingly well. I didn't know how to do it before that, but I had to learn how to, and got a lot more out of the experience than I would have by printing something out.

I encourage you to try yourself, and see what you can do. Basic advice: Every three dimensional shape is made up of sides. Even curved surfaces can be achieved through several angles, and then smoothing over them with a filler such as bondo. Try using splints or reinforcements to hold it all together (a small strip of material glued in between two pieces where they meet at an angle.

Give it a try. Even if you don't succeed at first, you'll have learned something to apply towards a second try. You might not be happy with the results straight off, but I'm sure you'll come up with something that looks great!

« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2010, 10:03 AM »
you will need to make several measurements.

this is not in Stone.. just some of the measurements that i took, when i help build a set for a clone member... HOPE IT Helps.... ;D

1st,  measure both sides (left and right side) out from the center of the ear pieces to about front of the mask even with the front of the mask add an 3 to 4 inches. this will allow clearance for the binos to come down without obstruction. you can + or - in your measurments.

this is 2nd part of #1. measure from the top view aka sky view looking down at the top of the helmet. measure from both sides. these wiill be measured up (sky view basically).  both sides will match. (see note below) . remember, you will want all your measurments checked twice and aligned flat and squared.

NOTE: if you measure the left and right sides of the helmet with a caliber or straight measuring device. they should be the same measurement if not remeasure.

2nd, measure the width of the helmet in "frontal view "( as if you are looking at someone wearing the helmet ), from left to right . this willl be from side to side and flush with both sides add a 4 inch

3rd, measure lense viewing area full frontal view area of your mask (left and right sides of the corner of the viewing area it should be about 9 or 10 inches approx. now measure the top and bottom of it. only the large area of the viewing area of your visor area . it should be about 3.5 to 4 inches wide ... i am guessing . from this your binos will be contouring from large to small, going outward. when wearing your binos in the down position you will be looking out of an area approximately 1 inch to 1.5 inches but no more than 2 inches.

4th make a cardboard template of all the measurements and place them together. glue them together and just play with it till you get it to look the way you want..

this was just a litttle help for you. when i made a pair for a member at another site these are just some of the things i did.

« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2010, 10:07 AM by miller4546 » Logged
A warrior considers himself already dead, so there is nothing to lose. The worst has already happened to him, therefore he's clear and calm; judging him by his acts or by his words, one would never suspect that he has witnessed everything.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2010, 01:02 PM »
http://pepakuracollection.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Pep_Files

On here it has a commander bly helmet for Pepakura. Now, you would need to muck about a bit to make sure it's sized for your helmet, but once that's done, it should give you a much easier time of it all.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2010, 02:34 PM »
can't really use that Ijaat, cuz it only works for the veiwer of pepikura, not for the desinger.... and without that, i cannot scale, or move the parts around to only get the macros....  :'(

Teren Clan

Sixgunz

• If it aint broken, break it
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2010, 12:01 AM »
if u have adobe illustrator u can export the pep in the designer to EPS format. u can do watever changer u want frm there.

Sixgunz

• If it aint broken, break it
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2010, 10:16 AM »
forget wat i said, tried it myself, it doesnt allow to be open in designer. anyway im working on a simple macro kit that u can use. will post more when the kit is a success. its design is similar to my current macro only more less bulky lookin

im the one in green

here a vid link where u can see my macro in action, (sort off hehe)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LigzqG9yyLw

« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2010, 03:03 AM »
@sixgunz: Your plates are too small. You shoud size 'em up a bit.

Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur!

Plates:30%
Soft parts: 0%
Helmet:0%
Weapons: 0%

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!