Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kelba Skirata M-DSB Assassin FINISHED!!! (w/ Pics)

• 32 Replies
Kelba Skirata M-DSB Assassin FINISHED!!! (w/ Pics)
« on: Sep 24, 2010, 10:03 PM »
Well, if any ones keeps up with some of my post, most know I'm sounding like a broken record with school and work and all that lovely jazzy stuff. So since I've been taking pictures as I go along to post on here later and upon my facebook page, I decided to update you guys on whats going on with my deal. SO here we go.

Got the bucket a while back and also the visor from bikerchick, amazing visor btw which I'm playing around with now but still more work to do on it before it's offically finished.

Although some of my WIP pics are on my photo and WILL look like osik on here, I'm not even going to bother, BUT my other photos I can show what has happened over the past month...I think it's been a month...ANYWHO:

This is after I got her sanded down and everything along with working with another friend of mine from Rivercity Fanboys and also 501st (also in progress for him). In such a rush to get it primed, I forgot to give it another sand down and to be honest, it looks great after being primed and everything.

Then came the black after we picked out some pretty nice colours. I wanted to go with my older colours (black and red) but going back through the colour meanings red was mourning the death of a father and well...my buir is still alive and kicking so I didn't wanna put red back on, so I went with the 'outgoing' orange instead, again requested by RCFB guy who is a long time life friend i've known for years. Later on getting the orange trim around the visor, I didn't cover up enough to counter for over spray and he suggested I cover it up more and, of course, my response 'Nahhhh man I got this..." "Ah shab...". So after a week that has happened I went to go back to his house to pick it back up today and worked on it after I got off work and back home for a good few hours. Most of it was spent because of my own negligence so I was covering up boo boos and making it nice again.

and what it looks like now :D

My buir helped me with some of the trimming using a very VERY kick shebs dremel-like tool. Lets say air compressors do amazing WONDERFUL things and for how powerful it is, cut through this like butter. So it has finger prints all over it because, again, I wanna rush things and not take my time with it. I think it's because I'm used to working with deadlines and all. SO getting that all down and done, I hand painted the rest of the visor insides and made it look much better than it had been a few hours before and now I'm liking where it's at for the moment and how much time I can spend on it and such.

So things to do still:

Cut out the keyholes for venting purposes
Pad the inside
And then install the visor

I still have a long ways to go before it's where I want it to be but here we are. Better late than never eh?

« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2010, 01:48 PM by Kelba Skirata » Logged
Re: Kelba Skirata M-DSB Assassin WIP
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2010, 02:25 AM »
very nice...looking great

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2010, 03:56 AM »
Nice , but it looks like youve had a wee paint re-action on the cheek .

« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2010, 11:05 AM »
Nice , but it looks like youve had a wee paint re-action on the cheek .

Not sure if it was a reaction or it just ran. I took a small brush to it to even out a bit, dad thinks it was that too but it's all the same paint. Something else I gotta sand out again along with the rest of the dome

« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2010, 01:35 PM »
So did some more to it. Also got rid of the reaction/runover/whatever you wanna call it.

Also that green tape is BEYOND the greatest thing known to man. It's called "frog tape" if your ever interested. It's clean lines, ALL THE TIME. Used it on my modded Rex helmet and I can never go back to the blue painters tape again. I have a close up on one of the corners to show it off.

Sorry that one kinda sucks from that angle =/

Now what it looks like. :D NO MOAR FINGERPRINTS!!!

And now the close up of the amazing frog tape. Again, greatest painters tape I have ever used. It is a bit pricey but worth every penny of it.

This shows where I got rid of the reaction spot quite nicely

But all of this before work so I wanted to get these up and out of the way :D

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
Re: Kelba Skirata M-DSB Assassin WIP (w/ Pics)
« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2010, 02:56 PM »
Looks alot better , you can get away with some over run with weathering the area , Is this the only colours you are doing ? Adding some other colours (kill stripes etc) ?

« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2010, 03:07 PM »
Indeed I will be adding stripes and among other things such as the weathering. But I was going for a pretty simple look. Nothing to flashy and all with it. Still gotta get my keyholes cut out and will more than likely have to paint again, but it's in the back so im not to worried about that much.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2010, 03:10 PM »
Some of the best kits are simple vod , i look forward to seeing more  ;)

« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2010, 07:00 PM »
UPDATE TIME

So spent a good part of my day cutting out the keyholes and it was the most painful 4 hours of my life. Never getting that back but it's well worth it now that it's over.

So here's from start to finish with it thus far:

What i'm cutting with has only one size. And here it is below

Cuts through the stuff like butter but I can't remember member what it's called. But I'll know it when I hear it though.
More stuffs. All of my main holes cut out and now ready to get into the other parts of it.

2 1/2 hours later...

And then a final paint down to give it the look

Well I'm glad that I got this much accomplished in my weekend and with my day off only chipping on it four hours at a time each time. Gonna add some kill marks next and some lettering as well. Not sure what yet but I'll figure something out.

pinocchio

• The Biscalor
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2010, 07:32 PM »
is that a crack or a molding imperfection around the key hole area in your pics?

COMPLAINING DOES NOT GIVE YOU POWER, BUT CREATING WILL.
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2010, 10:22 PM »
Molding. Couldn't get it out to be honest even after the sanding :( But that back part is the only part of the mold that does look like that sadly so if anything, it will be more sanding in the future

« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2010, 04:32 AM »
Get some epoxy putty, then apply it and with an old ID or some such to squeegee and a bit of water smooth it to the shape you want.  I had to do something similar to the points on my assassin (they bubbled in the mold and weren't crisp enough) and I'm going to be patching a bubble in the resin soon the same way. 

Ne'tra Ca'verd

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2010, 12:50 PM »
My buir helped me with some of the trimming using a very VERY kick shebs dremel-like tool. Lets say air compressors do amazing WONDERFUL things and for how powerful it is, cut through this like butter.

Cuts through the stuff like butter but I can't remember member what it's called. But I'll know it when I hear it though.
More stuffs. All of my main holes cut out and now ready to get into the other parts of it.

Sounds and looks like a high speed carver. most are at least 300,000 or higher RPM and are air powered I believe. Basically a dentist drill with a straight end instead of an angle. They are seriously a miracle machine.

« Reply #13 on: Sep 30, 2010, 03:34 PM »
Get some epoxy putty, then apply it and with an old ID or some such to squeegee and a bit of water smooth it to the shape you want.  I had to do something similar to the points on my assassin (they bubbled in the mold and weren't crisp enough) and I'm going to be patching a bubble in the resin soon the same way. 

Yeah mine only had the one bubble on the dome but that went away with the sanding :) And although not to sure as to what I will do with the back yet. You really can't tell unless your close up on it so I might let it slide to be honest.

@Ne'tra- Basically what I thought it was too. Although I don't know the true RPMs on it and quote Jayme from Mythbuster is "pretty damn fast". But it's something that starts with a 'b' but again, it does an AMAZING job on this stuff and cuts cleaner than a dremel but it's not to great for the keyholes as you saw. I was in a serious debate with myself to either just cut from the top and level it out or just start with holes in the large ends and go from there but I think I might the right choice with it and hoping to get the visor in this weekend before work. BIG hope on that.

« Reply #14 on: Oct 05, 2010, 10:16 PM »
So I decided to take a picture with the visor in and also paint the forehead...thing...whatever it is. I put the visor in and imagine it with the tint I bought...keeping that part a secret for the moment untill it comes in  :rolleyes:

Can still see through it though but thus is why the tint is on order and to also enhance the sexyness :)

« Reply #15 on: Oct 06, 2010, 12:37 AM »
Well working a little bit into the night and also getting a good weathering tip from A'den and while waiting for the tint to come in. I decided to get to work on the battle damage and weathering. SO, here's some more pictures and tell me what you think.

and this too, the scratch shows at this angle much better

And yes, those scratches are pretty deep as well. Going for the feel of it too.

« Reply #16 on: Oct 06, 2010, 11:15 PM »
So got a little more work on it today and, again, thanks to A'den the scratches came out VERY NICELY! Vor'e on that hint. So I'm gonna shut up and post pics and thing.

The front, sorry you really can't tell, flash was EVIL. But it's a metallic gray.

I also decided to mess around with the keyholes again and see what I can think of after my painters pen fell apart on me, but it did its job for the moment and got the scratches done. But I will end up weathering the back by mainly adding rust to parts of it and will continue to add scoring as well. Might need some pointers on where to go on that and how to handle that. But here it is.

So, any other places you guys think that some scratches or scoring will go to not make it look as bland and also not make the scratches a conversation starter?

« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2010, 11:58 AM »
is that a crack or a molding imperfection around the key hole area in your pics?

No that's the seam from the mold. Rather than go down the middle of the keyholes we made it go around so that it would not mess the keyholes up. You're supposed to sand that area down AND/OR add a little bondo/filler to even it out. ;)

Visit our  M-DSB Props website:

http://www.wix.com/MDSBprops/M-DSB-PROPS
--------
Member of...
Oya Vode!
Clonetroopers.net
Dented Helmet
Facebook
« Reply #18 on: Oct 08, 2010, 11:54 AM »
So got some more done to it today and added a few more scratches and repainted the key holes. Also on the look again for window tint in a colour that is IMPOSSIBLE to find almost. But here we are:

Zel Gret

• Keep your friends close, disintegrate your enemies
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #19 on: Oct 09, 2010, 06:49 PM »
I really like the colors and damage. Looks awesome.

« Reply #20 on: Oct 12, 2010, 12:39 PM »
cool bucket

Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur!

Plates:30%
Soft parts: 0%
Helmet:0%
Weapons: 0%
« Reply #21 on: Oct 15, 2010, 12:02 AM »
I really like the colors and damage. Looks awesome.

Thanks :) I was kinda worried about how I would do it all. The damage is just done with a razer blade and it came out beyond well. And to me, it gives it the feel of it's seen some action.

cool bucket

And again, thanks much mate. Would get some more done to it but school and work have decided that they should be troublesome and not let me work on this. So hopefully I will get the visor in and tinted by the end of this week if all goes according to plan.

Next thing I think I can do it start to add some rust around the key holes a bit. I saw that on a BM Jango helmet and I thought it looked really great and gives more detail to the key holes. So other than adding that, I'll try to fit it in some more scratches and maybe a few blaster scores. Any advice on how to tackle the scoring?

« Reply #22 on: Oct 21, 2010, 04:25 PM »
So been awhile since I have updated because of school but here's whats going down.

Just got around to ordering the window tint and should be here sometime next week hopefully in time for The Force Unleashed 2 midnight launch at my store to showcase it off there.

Still need to do some more weathering and scoring to the helmet, since nothing has changed much with it so it still looks as it does above but will be posting more updates once I get the tint in and more weathering.

Trying to stay on top of this as well as school.

« Reply #23 on: Oct 23, 2010, 09:13 PM »
Photos:

Here they are.

« Reply #24 on: Oct 24, 2010, 12:06 AM »
The more i see this helmet type which i'm gonna have to wait till a certain date in nov. to order 1 of these for myself and do my helmet colors and adding some lights to mine which i have now in my hands (project box for my helmet) .

Are you putting a fan & lights in your helmet? if so check out this guy on ebay, I've gotton this which i posted for ebay and also he takes off ebay orders. Free S&H

290345760974 - 1 -Blue 4 LED Lights 80mm Computer Case Fan w/ 9 LED MOD       $9.00
Charlie Chiang
1413 Matchleafa Ave
Hacienda Heights, CA 91745
Lights and stuff

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!