Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Helmet out of EVA foam?

• 9 Replies
Helmet out of EVA foam?
« on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:05 PM »
I know some people who cosplay with the 405th use eva foam to make there helmets and i've seen other cosplays with Eva helmets. I am wondering if any one had made a mando helmet out of EVA foam
-razor

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Helmet out of EVA foam?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:24 PM »
Per the CRLs, EVA foam is one of the banned materials used for armor. You can back the armor in EVA, but it cannot be exposed to eyesight.

"EVA foam is not an acceptable armor building material for the MMCC. EVA foam MAY be considered for use on parts such as "soft cods" and "soft" knees. It will be a suitable material to back plating on knees and such for comfort. Any EVA that is visible, ie. soft cods and soft knees, will be HIGHLY scrutinized. It is HIGHLY recommended that if you choose this route, you heavily incorporate the App Team in the WIP and apply any suggestions to increase the probability of acceptance."

CAT #0960
M5SP #9     |     B.E.A.R.D.S #73

Recon Wip

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:43 PM »
One thing to add is that if the exterior of the helmet is hardened with resin it should fall in line with Crls especially if you use bondo and things to make it perfect. However it is advisable to contact an approval team member when doing so. I have seen some Ironman suit builders use smoothon casting resin in lieu of fiberglass/polyester resin with the "tuff stuff" shop paper towels instead of fiberglass cloth/mat and the piece was sturdy as osik when they finished. I'll make an attempt to replicate that on an eva Mando helmet if you'd like for reference.

QMU#084

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:57 PM »
EVA is still a no whatever it's covered in. The exterior may be hard but having a pliable core means it will crack like an egg at some point. If you want to make a scratchbuild, I'd love to see it (I'm a sucker for them :) ) but please stick with tried and tested materials/methods, I'd hate to see you pour time, energy and money into a project that's neither acceptable or long lasting. Feel free to give me a shout if you need further advice.

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:09 PM »
EVA is still a no whatever it's covered in. The exterior may be hard but having a pliable core means it will crack like an egg at some point. If you want to make a scratchbuild, I'd love to see it (I'm a sucker for them :) ) but please stick with tried and tested materials/methods, I'd hate to see you pour time, energy and money into a project that's neither acceptable or long lasting. Feel free to give me a shout if you need further advice.
That's why I volunteered my time to do so Reyn Vok'chi as it would be no trouble to do a quick wip and finish the helmet with standard finishing like bondo and what not. Also if it would please the Approval team I would do this and send the physical helmet to one of the Approval team members for inspection and roughness testing.

QMU#084
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2015, 05:22 PM »
I am interpreting what you are saying means that I cant have it inside my helmet to give me comfort?

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:11 PM »
If you mean as padding then that's fine, one of our members once used washing up sponges! I'm merely trying to discourage the use of EVA foam as a structural material, it will not be approved and there are many reasons for this. Be it plates or a helmet, however much you prep, treat and coat EVA it will fail. A fibre glass reinforced bucket will not, I just don't want to see you put effort and money into an excercise in futility  ;)

Bowfanny

« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:27 PM »
If you mean as padding then that's fine, one of our members once used washing up sponges! I'm merely trying to discourage the use of EVA foam as a structural material, it will not be approved and there are many reasons for this. Be it plates or a helmet, however much you prep, treat and coat EVA it will fail. A fibre glass reinforced bucket will not, I just don't want to see you put effort and money into an excercise in futility  ;)
My exercise of futility is a daily struggle being a janitor at an elementry/grade school with 5-12 year olds making messes for me every day lol I would like to give it a shot non the less to see if I could make a hearty attempt because I enjoy the challenge and I wouldn't be doing it for any official build as I'm doing at least two other helmets right now, one almost complete, the second in the fiberglass and bondo stages.

QMU#084

Reyn Vok'chi

« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:40 PM »
Go for it, I would actually like to see how it turns out. I've expanded on a few methods in the past to get some good results, if you don't try.....  ;)

Bowfanny

« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:56 PM »
Go for it, I would actually like to see how it turns out. I've expanded on a few methods in the past to get some good results, if you don't try.....  ;)
I'll send you the results via pm once I get that far and I'll start a thread in the unofficial costumes area.

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!