Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

HBF conversion WIP

• 38 Replies
Re: HBF conversion WIP
« Reply #15 on: Sep 19, 2011, 05:29 PM »
So I'm jumping over here from my post on 'other things wrong with the HBF'.  I love what you are doing so far.  How did you cut the skirt and helmet so evenly?  I'm not that steady with a dremel. 

Also, what are your plans for replacing the ears?  Are you going to rebuild the 'targeting rangefinder' or leave it off?

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #16 on: Sep 19, 2011, 07:01 PM »
I cut things off about a millimeter or so away from the line, and then true it up from there -- first with grinding/cutting bits, then with files and sandpaper. It's tedious, but also somewhat meditative. *heh* Just have a light touch, hold the dremel steady, and let the bit do the work... not too much pressure. It's always easier to take more off than add back on.

I have the earcap bases cut out. I have the angled outer surfaces cut out. I have the 45-degree angled bit at the bottom cut out. I just need to carefully get it all together. Which I'm looking forward to doing once I get back home. The rangefinder is more trouble than I wanted to go into with this build. I'm actually just getting underway on a second HBF build, and this one is probably going to get undercoated in a nice steel finish and then offered up for sale.

I'm applying lessons learned on the first one to the second, and it ought to go a lot faster. I'll get it up to this point and then show the finishing steps of both simultaneously. With that one, I'm also leaving off the rangefinder, and going with a heavily modified Hasbro Iron Man faceplate as a drop-down blast shield.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn
« Reply #17 on: Sep 19, 2011, 08:17 PM »
So your saying, 'no drinking' while doing this  :rolleyes:
I caught my hand in a belt sander this weekend working on a Tusken gaffi stick modification.   It was a 35 grit belt and I'd had a couple drinks, so I paid the price with my palm.  :P

Seriously, though, I'm not sure if I'll tackle the earpieces this go-around.  I only have one bucket, so a screw up is permanent.  Your Dremel/sanding work is amazing.  I'm just not that steady with a cutting wheel.

I look forward to seeing your finished helmet.

« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2011, 08:48 PM by Gep » Logged

Peregrinus

« Reply #18 on: Dec 24, 2011, 03:39 AM »
Took one on the fly while working on the last few fiddly clean-up bits. More actual progress pics coming soon, depending on how chaotic the next couple days end up being. :)

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Mando-Tough - Winner of the Celebration VI pushup competition Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2011, 02:05 PM »
THIS is how to do a HBF conversion. I've seen SO many turn out like crap that it's good to see you take the time and effort to do this right.

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2012, 05:41 PM »
Nice job!!

Zedrin Ho'dag

• Nothing's impossible; impossible just takes longer
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Best Blaster: Pistol is the award for the best pistol. Funny that!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:28 PM »
I just started working on one of my own.  It's simply amazing to see all the different methods for modding these things.

Kandosii borarir Vod!

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013 | O.S.B.A.-000

Saberan Vhette

• No Retreat! No Surrender!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:17 PM »
I have been watching your work for a couple of years now and have never been disappointed. Always awesome work.  What in the darkest pits of Hades are you not official?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!!!!!!!!!???????

Peregrinus

« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:45 AM »
Because I take for-freakin'-ever. Partly due to my fastidious need for accuracy or better. Partly due to near-total lack of funds/resources/workspace. Partly due to other distractions visited on me by Darth Real Life™. But I'd rather take longer than rush and hate the result. I hate nothing so much as having to re-do something. *heh*

Right now on this thing, I have to either finish clearing out the garage or wait for the weather to get warm enough to paint outside. No way to get a clear idea of how well this mod works until I have it painted a nice solid neutral color.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:14 AM »
I feel like attention to detail here can only help you in the long run, vod.  :)  And I think most of us understand a lack of funds!  (I know I do!)   ;)

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:37 AM »
You know, one of the main points of discussion as to whether or not this thing is worth the work of modding is whether or not it can be made to actually look good, and one of the main points against it are those goofy looking earcaps. With them chopped and a custom job put in to replace them, this puppy won't even be recognizable as being a Hasbro base when you're finished. Of course, the obsessive detail work (meant in the most flattering way possible :P) you put into it might have something to with that too.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Uneek Top'El

• I am back from the dead !!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2012, 04:08 PM »
Wow just Wow, looks Great !!!

MMCC OM # 625 M.A.J.I.C Member # 81 MA # 53 Taakure Clan !!

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #27 on: Sep 26, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Any progress on this?

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Peregrinus

« Reply #28 on: Sep 27, 2012, 01:35 AM »
Yes. Stand by. Pics being managed. *heh*

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Deimos Ordo

• The Rebel Phoenix Rises...
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 The most special of operatives Accessorised is the award for the best non-weapon prop. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #29 on: Sep 27, 2012, 01:40 AM »
You really go all out on the conversion, this HBF looks great, looking forward to more!! :)

Lets see some armor now  ;)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!