Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ahdim's very first kit

• 45 Replies
Ahdim's very first kit
« on: Mar 25, 2011, 02:31 AM »
I started on this today using the "cut it out of a big bucket" method. It is working brilliantly for me so far. There are a few parts that I am apprehensive about at this stage (like ovening the plastic).  I'm just glad it doesn't involve vac forming!
I still need to get my hands on a flight suit, vest, and helmet. The soft parts should be easy enough. There is an army surplus store near my house. The helmet thing is going to be more challenging. And bracers... I have no idea how to even start with those.
Anyway, this is what I have so far!

I'll keep you updated!

Parjai

Re: Ahdim's very first kit
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2011, 12:47 AM »
I am liking the concept, also if money isn't too bad for ya I would suggest a M-DSB helmet, if your funds are heavily limited then I would suggest a rubies, but thats me there are several other makers out there unless you want to scratch build

« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2011, 12:50 AM by Parjai » Logged
"There are two reasons why we have to wear armor. One is so that we don't get killed too easily. The other is so that we all look Mandalorian, however different we may be from our brothers and sisters."
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2011, 10:08 AM »
Yeah, I've been looking around at the different buckets offered. I think for now, I'm going to have to go with rubie's and mod the crap out of it. When I become a rich man, I will upgrade to something more professional.
Another issue I was having was how to work out the back plate. My tubs weren't big enough to cut the thing out in one piece. I considered making it in two halves and bondoing them together but then got some inspiration. I decided to go with a segmented type deal. Here is a pic of what I've got now.

I like it so far! Now onto baking and molding! This is gonna be fun!

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2011, 10:41 AM »
Update!

Using the oven method didn't cut the mustard for me. It just wasn't getting them hot enough and I was worried about jacking up the temp. So I got a hold of a heat gun and it did the job! Here are the pieces all shaped up and ready for paint!

As for my helmet, I think I'm going to take the cheap route and make one with For Sale signs and a bike dome.

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2011, 07:43 AM »
This is looking good, and I like what you did with the backplate! Nice use of the smaller sized tote.

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2011, 02:17 PM »
Alrighty, after a night of fabricating a helmet (which still needs earpieces) here is my main armor. It looks a little wonky because it's just duct taped on. I wanted a reference for what I needed to change. Next up, paint and squishy bits.

Sarsk

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2011, 11:42 PM »
Looks like those plates are a little big. Print out a template one size smaller than you used for the plates and tape them on. If you need, trim those templates accordingly to where they fit a little better. Once you get a flight suit, and a vest, it will add a little bulk.

Should look kind of like this.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2011, 12:09 AM »
Yep, Sarsk beat me to it; those are definitely a bit too big. On the bright side, you can always trim some off. Once you get the templates fit better to yourself, you can just tape 'em over the plates you have now and cut 'em down to size. That said, looks like you're off to a good start; nice work on the buy'ce, from what I can see, and that color scheme looks like it should be pretty nifty :).

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2011, 08:38 AM »
Excellent. Thanks guys. Glad to know that before I start painting. Better that it is too big and not too small!!
Here is a questions about painting. Is there a taboo about NOT weathering the look of the armor? Now I know about Star Wars being "used space" and that this kind of armor sees a lot of action, but there have to be some Mandos out there who are obsessive about keeping their armor spotless. Just a thought.

« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2011, 10:18 AM by Ahdim Birom » Logged
« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2011, 09:32 AM »
looking good i love the concept you have its a cool design

"From that day forth my arm changed and a voice rang out power give ME MORE POWER! And if I become a demon, so be it. I will endure the exile. Anything to protect her."

Manji

• OM #429 & Mr. Bulloch
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2011, 11:25 AM »
Excellent. Thanks guys. Glad to know that before I start painting. Better that it is too big and not too small!!
Here is a questions about painting. Is there a taboo about NOT weathering the look of the armor? Now I know about Star Wars being "used space" and that this kind of armor sees a lot of action, but there have to be some Mandos out there who are obsessive about keeping their armor spotless. Just a thought.

A good portion of Mercs don't weather their kits at all. In fact, I'd say there is more non-weathered kits than weathered ones...

Talon Clan Expat | Taakure Clan Transplant

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2011, 11:53 AM »
I'd disagree with that. There are a few completely clean kits out there and a few straight off the battlefield kits out there but I know the vast majority lay somewhere in the middle.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2011, 02:30 PM »
Ive got to admit i like weathering on armour , Boba had it and even the Teflon kid Jango had it . I prefer my armour to be scarred and scratched to bits and covered in dirt LOL . From what ive seen there are fewer clean kits than weathered , Im more of a straight off the battlefield type , Loves a dirty mando me  ;D

Manji

• OM #429 & Mr. Bulloch
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2011, 03:15 PM »
I'd disagree with that. There are a few completely clean kits out there and a few straight off the battlefield kits out there but I know the vast majority lay somewhere in the middle.

I like me my weathering. So I guess when I see a kit with less weathering than mine, I tend to think it's pretty damn shiny.  ;D

Talon Clan Expat | Taakure Clan Transplant

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2011, 03:22 PM »
More or less what the others said. I'd say if you want a 'clean kit' go with very light weathering; some light scratches, a little wear at the edges where two plates meet, maybe just a little 'dirt and grime'. It'll still be neat and clean, but a purely pristine kit is kind of unrealistic in my opinion. Just the act of walking through your ship to the cockpit and strapping on the crash restraints would cause minor wear, never mind once you actually get to hunting your prey.

« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2011, 04:56 PM »
Slade, that is actually hat I was leaning towards. I want it to look like I maintain it but I know it will never be super shiny. I just don't wanna look like I've been hit with a couple of thermal detonators!

« Reply #16 on: Mar 30, 2011, 10:46 PM »
OK I resized the main armor pieces. They are the ones that really matter anyways. Everything else will be fine. Here is the resized armor:

The ab plate is falling off. That is the ONLY bit that is giving me trouble so far. It will not hold its shape. I've melted and reshaped it 5 times now and it keeps flattening back out.... ugh...

As a bonus, here is my mother who got a hold of my buy'ce and lightsaber. It amused me greatly ^_^

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #17 on: Mar 30, 2011, 11:35 PM »
You'll want to bring the outside edges of the collar plate in, so that its bottom corners meet the top corners of the chest plates. The chest and ab look much better though.

« Reply #18 on: Apr 02, 2011, 02:36 PM »
to answer the weathering question    'the guy with pristine shiny armor is the new inexperienced soldier the guy burnt up and scratched all to hell and back is the bad -censored- of the battle field so ask ur self do you want to be a bad -censored-'

oh and sorry for the fowl language
quote from a friend of mine

"From that day forth my arm changed and a voice rang out power give ME MORE POWER! And if I become a demon, so be it. I will endure the exile. Anything to protect her."

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #19 on: Apr 02, 2011, 06:07 PM »
Nah, the one that's burnt up and scratched to hell is just really bad at not getting hit.

« Reply #20 on: Apr 03, 2011, 01:16 PM »
A couple layers of primer

and a couple layers of dark mahogany

next up, a little light sanding and some accent colors. still working on the vest...

« Reply #21 on: Jun 21, 2011, 02:57 PM »
After a long hiatus cause by finances and stress, I am back to continue (and hopefully finish) my kit!
Over the past few days, I have been doing some painting and here is what I have so far.

Here is a better image of the buy'ce

I have to make my vest again. The first one I made fell apart in the washer as I was trying to dye it. But I have some new/better fabric and I'm going to hit it here in a few minutes.

« Reply #22 on: Jun 21, 2011, 03:04 PM »
Very nice. I love the color scheme!

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #23 on: Jun 21, 2011, 03:06 PM »
Looks good Vod ;D i like your colour scheme

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #24 on: Jun 21, 2011, 03:42 PM »
Wow ! Youve been busy ner'vod , Looks good .  ;)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!