Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Gray Fox V-2.0 "Heavy Legacy Armor" W.I.P (new pics)

• 57 Replies

Hondo Falco

• Armor Weapons and Soft Parts at 100%
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
Gray Fox V-2.0 "Heavy Legacy Armor" W.I.P (new pics)
« on: Apr 11, 2011, 12:13 AM »
Well I've been talking about wanting to do a legacy kit for a while, and for the past week I've started my build.  So just to catch you guys up here are some pics of my progress.

Well it all started with this dirt bike padding I picked up for $10 at a flea market.

Which got me doodling during breakfast about what I might be able to do with it.

Next day I took the old mando body picture we use and re-designed the plates. P.S. Nothing in this pic is final, i'm still bouncing a few ideas around.

Next I printed up the Legacy templets from the Merc's site, used card stock paper so it would be easier to work with and taped them together.

Traced the templets to the Sintra and cut them out.  *Side note*( if your dumb like me and don't realize how big 4'x8' is, have a cutting tool handy when you pick it up or it'll never fit in the car. True story)

Using my heat gun I molded the plates to the curve I wanted. Kal Falco showed me that if you lay the heat gun on its back aimed up you'd have both hands free to hold and mold.  Once molded I marked where the bolts will go and started drilling. Once I drill the hole in the vest and the nuts are on, i'll shave down and excess length.

So thats about it for now, the collier plate needs to be a custom job due to the wide padding and i'm coming up with a back plate to match.  Ok! Now here's the part where you all cut me to pieces  ;) , but any input is welcome!

« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2011, 07:32 AM by Genet Ram'ser Falco » Logged
I知 a grunt...... and proud of it

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Gray Fox V-2.0 "Heavy Legacy Armor" W.I.P
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2011, 12:14 AM »
Very cool!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2011, 10:17 AM »
That looks pretty bad -censored- so far, can't wait to see more.

• Even a Mandalorian can seek inner piece.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2011, 10:31 AM »
the inside looks leathal xD

Working on a lot of stuff,armor and helmet,armor plates are pretty much made but pleas dont bother me to start a WIP thread as i have taken pictures and will star the WIP when i consider my armor to be at least about 92.82743615% done.
Notification:For future knowledge: pleas just call me 5s or 72:)

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2011, 03:13 PM »
I would've personally recommended a more flexible attachment setup than bolting it all together with styrene, but that's just me. Your concept looks awesome aside from the thighs!

"And what have we learned?"]
Sorry I'm not around much anymore, life is very busy for me at the moment. . .
M.A.J.I.C. #103
A new WIP will be posted eventually. . .

Hondo Falco

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2011, 09:35 PM »
I would've personally recommended a more flexible attachment setup than bolting it all together with styrene, but that's just me. Your concept looks awesome aside from the thighs!
Yeah, I was worried at first about bending but when there mounted to the vest it ends right above my navel. So nothing is really hitting it. And yeah those thighs are a bit out there!  I was playing alot of dead space when I came up with that. And it doesn't say heavy armor to me when I look at it now. Have some new ideas I'm messing with

Canderous Falco

• I'm the memer they call when things go wrong.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2011, 09:43 PM »
Gotta admit, though, those thighs DO speak to an "original" sci-fi look. Got me thinking 50's throwback, or even McQuarry concept drawing. I don't think it necessarily belongs on a Mando, but from the design aspect, it's definitely interesting, and has appeal.

Both mine are Legacy, one heavy, one stealth/commando, and I have to say, yours is pretty awesome. Have you seen the legs on mine? Maybe they can give you some inspiration.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2011, 10:43 PM »
From a practical perspective, unless you're going for full throat to waist armor, the torso armor doesn't need functional segmenting. My legacy plates are all attached to a solid one-piece sintra backing, and like you said with yours, they go from neck to navel. Put together with the back plate, I can still bend at the waist or crouch, so it doesn't really restrict movement much more than standard Fett-style plates.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #8 on: Apr 12, 2011, 02:04 AM »
Yeah I went fuctional with my segmentation because I plan to have full coverage for my kit. However I will say this right now this looks like it should prove promising. Keep up the work.

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2011, 10:41 AM »
Nice!

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
reality is a hologram created by our minds.
M.A.J.I.C # 008

Hondo Falco

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2011, 04:49 PM »
Gotta admit, though, those thighs DO speak to an "original" sci-fi look. Got me thinking 50's throwback, or even McQuarry concept drawing. I don't think it necessarily belongs on a Mando, but from the design aspect, it's definitely interesting, and has appeal.

Both mine are Legacy, one heavy, one stealth/commando, and I have to say, yours is pretty awesome. Have you seen the legs on mine? Maybe they can give you some inspiration.

Send me a PM with a picture, any ideas will be helpful.

This is some ideas I came up with. I'm leaning toward the one on the far right.  It'll cover the front and go half way around the leg.  But like I said before, i'm still bouncing ideas around.

« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2011, 02:01 AM »
The new thigh definitely looks legacy. Are you planning on backing it with sintra like the chest?

Strength is life, for the strong have the right to rule.
Honor is life, for with no honor one may as well be dead.
Loyalty is life, for without one's clan one has no purpose.
Death is life, for one should die as they have lived.

"This is the code I live by. Remember it well, because it is the only reason your lungs still hold breath, Jedi."

Hondo Falco

« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2011, 09:20 PM »
The new thigh definitely looks legacy. Are you planning on backing it with sintra like the chest?
Thats the plan  ;D

Hondo Falco

« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2011, 07:29 PM »
Not much done this week with the holidays and the kids being home. Hope to get thigh templets drawn up and cut out by this weekend. But the one update I do have is my leg armor came in today!

The foot armor may be removed or I may add some Sintra to it.

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #14 on: Apr 25, 2011, 07:39 PM »
gonna cover that with sintra or something?

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Hondo Falco

« Reply #15 on: Apr 25, 2011, 09:22 PM »
Well my plan was to cover the back with Sintra to give it a more closed look. The shin plate has a nice armored shape to it that with the right paint detail I think would come off real nice.

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #16 on: Apr 25, 2011, 09:25 PM »
are those swat pads or catcher pads?

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Hondo Falco

« Reply #17 on: Apr 25, 2011, 09:33 PM »
are those swat pads or catcher pads?
Got them from a Military & law enforcement site. www.cheifsupply.com  But yes I think they fall under swat body armor.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #18 on: Apr 25, 2011, 09:37 PM »
The style is allowed under the CRLs, due to some shoddy promotional pictures of Mara Jade, but my personal opinion is that using them un-modded detracts from the overall look of the kit. In this case, especially, as the Legacy armor is depicted with the segmented shins. What I did with my own Legacy armor was take sintra shin plates, then glue thin metal plates over it, overlapping like the artwork. You could do the same here; even if you used For Sale signs; after all, they're being attached to a secure base. Use the right kind of heavy duty glue or epoxy and they'll practically be part of the original plate.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Hondo Falco

« Reply #19 on: Apr 25, 2011, 10:32 PM »
my personal opinion is that using them un-modded detracts from the overall look of the kit. In this case, especially, as the Legacy armor is depicted with the segmented shins.
I understand what you mean, but I was thinking of doing the segmented part on the back of the shin plate when I close it up. What i'm aiming for is a "heavy" legacy kit and although at this time there isn't "any" reference to that class, there is plenty of room for interpretation with the artwork. There will be some modding to it, but I don't think I want to just cover it

Synnr Falco

• Mandalorian Protector
« Reply #20 on: Apr 26, 2011, 01:16 AM »

I like the way its looking so far.

Hondo Falco

« Reply #21 on: Jul 15, 2011, 12:56 AM »
OK!  The pass two and a half month have been really bad. One of my kids steped on my chest plate and cracked it plus about 20 different real life things popped up, but i'm back on my project! I finished the shoulder armor and I just traced out the thigh plates on my Sintra. (will post pictures soon)  Also my Enforcer helmet came in and I have the visor cut and ready for tinting. Hope to have all my parts cut and molded by the end of the weekend, then the real fun starts! (Painting)

Fenrir Bralor

• All right. Let's go.
« Reply #22 on: Jul 15, 2011, 06:13 PM »
Your first kit was so awesome, I can't wait to see this one once it's finished. Especially with the Enforcer, it's gonna looka badass! ;D

Hondo Falco

« Reply #23 on: Jul 18, 2011, 11:36 PM »
just an update: Was able to cut out all my lower body parts and shape them. Just need to custom out a collier and something to add to the shoulders.  

Thigh Plates:

Rear Plate to my leg armor: just wanted to close up the back and add some depth to it. The'll be painted two different colors.

Cod Plate: I needed something that would let me sit better (and go to the bathroom)

« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2011, 12:51 AM by Genet Ram'ser Falco » Logged

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #24 on: Jul 19, 2011, 12:04 PM »
The cod design looks really cool!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!