Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

making a Rubies jetpack better...

• 25 Replies

TiMesh'la Akaan

• OM# 0388 - M.A.J.I.C: 010 - Countless Troops
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
making a Rubies jetpack better...
« on: Apr 19, 2011, 10:54 PM »
    So the Rubies boba pack isn't a compleat pile of PooDoo, but there are several things about it that would make even a Jawa turn it's nose to it.
    for starters it's not quite put together with any kind of love... this was clearly just a pay check to whoever constructed it. the seams are sloppily bondo'd and the paint job is less than great.
    but I am convinced that with a little TLC this could make a fine Pack.

you can see here I"ve already began the process of cleaning up the seams, and have de-constructed a couple parts.

My next step is to fill the entire interior with expanding foam to prevent future crush dangers...

I"m also planning on replacing the rocket with resin parts, as well as the jet nozles... neither of these parts are any good

That being said... does anyone know where I can get quality replacement parts?

Needless to say, I've a long road ahead of me, but I'm looking forward to the chalange, and of course the end result :D

lightning667

Re: making a Rubies jetpack better...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2011, 11:02 PM »
i didnt know rubies made jetpacks

Dha'ward Firaxan

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2011, 11:03 PM »
Huh looking forward to seeing how this plays out

Mandalorian Mercs - Firaxan Clan
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2011, 11:05 PM »
It's part of the Rubies Supreme.  One of our guys got the whole set cheap and we salvaged some stuff and parted it out.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Hagen Nor'ak

• More then credits
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2011, 03:26 AM »
As far as replacement parts, I don't know of anyone that offers said parts by themselves. That being said I'd try contacting ManoWar or maybe sending StormtrooperGuy a pm. Besides that there Bobamaker and Bobby Fett UK  over in the UK that makes jetpacks, might see if they might be able to help you out.  Hopefullly your also on TDH, cause thats the only way to get ahold of everyone except STG, that I know of atleast.

Have a good one,
Hagen

TiMesh'la Akaan

« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2011, 11:38 PM »
I've removed the jet Nozles and an attempting to clean them up so they might be salvaged for use

Before:

Currently:

I've also salvaged the beacon and have cut out the slots so as to install a light later down the road

Loads of work to do to make it look half decent.

« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2011, 01:57 AM »
Looking forward to seeing this progress! As for the parts go you may try fleabay, I've seen bits and pieces on there before made of resin.

TiMesh'la Akaan

« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2011, 12:50 AM »
so my first Nozle is neering compleation, I"ve bondo'd the seams and sanded them smooth. then primered the whole thing. it's not perfect by any meens, but still a sight deal better than what it was.

here they are side by side for comparison, I"ll be working on the second Nozle tomorrow.

the pack is currently filled with expanding foam and is doing it's thing... once the foam has cured I'll be bondoing the seams again.
I"ve also primered the greablies

TiMesh'la Akaan

« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2011, 11:36 PM »
well I've been a busy bee these past couple days, I finished smoothing out the second nozle, filled the pack with foam, bondo-ed and sanded the seams, and ate dinner.
here's the latest pics

Siv Brailor

• Atin'la Cabur
« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2011, 03:44 PM »
Looking good. Filling it with foam was smart. I didn't even think of that.

Recon,Computer slicing,Sniping,of course.My rates are reasonable...........

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2011, 06:08 PM »
Looks great , But the same old story of , Rubie = Osik loads of work . Im sure this will look the business when its done  ;)

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #11 on: Apr 24, 2011, 06:15 PM »
I have to admit, you've got guts taking on a project like this. It's amazing how little regard Rubies has for the license. I mean look at the thrust nozzles, they aren't even the same size!

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Nate Jangotat

• Just trying to make my way in the universe...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Boba and Jango
« Reply #12 on: Apr 30, 2011, 05:21 PM »
Going through this process myself at the moment - looks like you are doing a great job. Will be watching with interest - bestof luck with it :D

TiMesh'la Akaan

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 09:08 PM »
made a little progress in the past couple days, not a ton mind you since it's been raining non-stop for a bloody month... but here's where I'm at.

got everything bondo'd primed and my base coat of silver... not perfect, but a sight deal better than what it was.

I've also decided to see what I can do with the rocket since a replacement is outside my meens currently
just as a reminder, here's how it looks right off the kit... like the Nozles, I've a long way to go to make it not look like Poodoo

Nate Jangotat

• Just trying to make my way in the universe...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Boba and Jango
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 02:42 AM »
Brilliant - already 100% better than the original - well done vod

Alundra

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 01:58 PM »
Where did you get this jetpack, the only Rubies Boba Fett I can find is the Inflatable one  :-\

TiMesh'la Akaan

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 05:25 PM »
it is part of the Rubies Supreme boba kit... one of my clan mates got it for a song and parted it out... I took the pack.

Alundra

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 07:21 PM »
it is part of the Rubies Supreme boba kit... one of my clan mates got it for a song and parted it out... I took the pack.

I feel sorry for anyone who spends the $600 for that kit. I've heard a lot of bad reviews on it for the price they are asking, things like cheap Halloween store plastic with nylon straps.

TiMesh'la Akaan

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 02:14 AM »
it realy is as bad as the reviews, but there are several salvageable parts to it... the bucket is fairly decent, the gaunts aren't half bad, and the jetpack... well although it's less than spectacular.... is a great stand in for a $300 fiberglass.

TiMesh'la Akaan

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 08:54 PM »
Update: spent today re-working a couple spots on the bottom of the pack where the bondo had split... once I was satisfied with the patch job I re primed and began the process of aplying my base. as you can see my base is gray, This is will be a Jodo Kast Pack so ther's several other colors to come.

I also worked on the rocket today, sanding down the poorly done seams and filling with bondo (love that stuff!) once I was satisfied with my work, I primed, silver coated, and applied my base gray. it's not purfect, and it has a permanent wonk to it... but it's better :D

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 10:28 PM »
I'm so glad you got this from Kibiri.  You're showing some great work there bro.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

TiMesh'la Akaan

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 01:31 AM »
update... got some paint on it... not purfect, but I can work with it, via weathering... and no... the rocket isn't attached, just set ontop.

TiMesh'la Akaan

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 09:33 PM »
...and then another layer of paint to the pack today makes it look just a little better still...

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 03:26 AM »
Keep up the good work.  Glad to see some lemonade coming from that lemon!

(Ewok sketch by John Rush Senior Character Artist EA Bioware)

Founding Member of M.E.T.S.
Mandalorians for the Ethical Treatment of Strill

Gesai Primax

• Death becomes you
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 01:06 PM »
Great job! Weathering it up will make it look even better!!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!