Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

SUPER CHEAP Body Armour Tutorial

• 51 Replies

Zazarus

• You can stuff a cat anywhere with enough jell-o.
Re: SUPER CHEAP Body Armour Tutorial
« Reply #25 on: Oct 18, 2011, 11:54 PM »
Maybe about 10-15 lbs, not really weighed it before.  I know its light enough I do not notice is being too heavy while wearing it.  but it is nice at a Con or a Troop and some guy walks up and punches you to be an @$$ and you don't feel it but it hurts the crap out of his hand.  That's when I get to smile.

« Reply #26 on: Oct 24, 2011, 04:49 PM »
I'd love to see the finished product!  I think I may redo my armor like this...

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women!
« Reply #27 on: Oct 24, 2011, 05:04 PM »
I would be interested in the final version as well

“There’s no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.” – The Fourth Doctor

Aliit ori’shya tal’din -"Family is more than blood"
This is the Way

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Mando-Tough - Winner of the Celebration VI pushup competition Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #28 on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:21 PM »
I'm expirimenting with pvc as well, and I've found that once it's opened up, it takes alot more time to heat evenly... like ALOT more time. I also don't have an oven, which would speed this process up quite a bit, I would imagine.

I got a 5' piece of 4" pipe that I'm planning on making my knees out of (yea, I'm gonna have plenty of extra left over) and I had to cut the pipe in half to get it to open up. I'd do one end, then flip it and by the time the other end got floppy enough to open, the first end had cooled again. Like I said, once opened up, it seemed like the heat didn't want to disperse over the entire piece as well as when it was closed.

Granted, I've only used a bit of sintra (which is easy as pie to shape) and tote bins, which I also find easy to work with.

Progress is learning...

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #29 on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:24 PM »
I'd love to see the finished product!  I think I may redo my armor like this...

Korr was approved in his kit made this way...

Zazarus

• You can stuff a cat anywhere with enough jell-o.
« Reply #30 on: Oct 25, 2011, 08:05 AM »
I would be interested in the final version as well
Still working on mine but it's almost done, just need to redo the shins, and mod the gauntlets.  But its all PVC pipe on my armor except the gauntlets and the helmet.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=43078.0
Also this is from old threads long buried.  I did an armor set for my wife

« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2011, 08:12 AM by Zazarus » Logged
« Reply #31 on: Oct 29, 2011, 12:03 PM »
Still working on mine but it's almost done, just need to redo the shins, and mod the gauntlets.  But its all PVC pipe on my armor except the gauntlets and the helmet.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=43078.0
Also this is from old threads long buried.  I did an armor set for my wife

Did you find it difficult to mold the shins from the PVC?  How did you get the edges straight?

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women!

Barn

« Reply #32 on: Nov 05, 2011, 06:12 AM »
I'm finding it awesome to work with.

This is what the flattened pipe looks like with 'large' size jango templates traced on:

After a days work, all bent to the shape of the new wearer:

Byloc Phosmont

• Mando Rider: 0004
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #33 on: Nov 09, 2011, 10:51 PM »
Hey, I really want to try and build my own kit using the tutorial you posted, so thanks for that! However, I still need to get the tools to craft it... can you or anyone who happens to read this post links of dremels, heat guns, and any other tools you would definitely need to create your kit (excluding painting and weathering.)

If you post links of tools on amazon or something, I'm a poor college student who's trying to only spend as much is necessary to get the job done. So the super deluxe home depot $118 dremel is not exactly what I'm looking for  ;)

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #34 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:08 PM »
Or you could look around yourself... It's not that hard, and you'd find things within your budget.

You will need a dremel yes. And a heat gun. To do the sharp edges properly you'll need a metal palet knife. A sharp knife of some kind for cutting the plastic is also useful, but you could also use a saw and or shears. All of these things have already been dicussed in this thread.

The thing about this method is it's a DIY. Do It Yourself. Note the the Yourself :P It's not a "We do all the running around for you and then bam it's done." Nothing wrong with that, but if you want others to do the running around for you it's better to hit up someone like RedKrayatDragon or TK2280 or Kyram Xrati who sell complete kits.

« Reply #35 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:20 PM »
Honestly though if you dont already have the tools for this project it would probably be a bit more cost effective to just buy a precut set from the trading station.

I picked up a heat gun at lowes for 25$, dremel at walmart for 40$,

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #36 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:30 PM »
I did my v1 suit with the oven at my parent's house and a $20 saw from home depot.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Byloc Phosmont

• Mando Rider: 0004
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #37 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:49 PM »
Ok, roughly 20- 40 bucks for the tools. And it's not that I'm asking folks to find stuff for me, I already looked at certain tools and such online, I've just never done this before and don't want to pay an unnecessary amount.

Thanks for the info everyone

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #38 on: Nov 10, 2011, 11:52 AM »
If your materials are cheap enough, you just score the line you want to cut with an exact-knife or box cutter. I had 6mm sintra so I needed a saw. However, with plastic rubbermade tubs or sintra thinner than like 3mm or so, you might not even need that. Just cut it, break of the excess, then sand down the edge.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Ty'renn Argos

• "I'd sell my mother to the Jawas for a good hunt."
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #39 on: Oct 19, 2014, 06:30 AM »
This was a true discovery. Thank you so very much!!! A friend and I have just started our armors using this method, and the results are amazing!!!

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=83188.0

Ni cuy' gar vod jii.

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #40 on: Oct 19, 2014, 10:31 AM »
Please refrain from necro posting on dead threads, It clutters the boards and generally irritates people. If you wish to think someone for their tutorial and the thread hasn't been posted in for 3 years, Send them a PM.

Also the OP hasn't been on the forums for nearly 2 years, making bringing up their old thread even more unnecessary.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Mando-Tough - Winner of the Celebration VI pushup competition Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #41 on: Oct 20, 2014, 12:38 AM »
Nothin wrong with necro posting this thread through. We have a LOT of new members since the last time that somebody posted in this thread and this is one of those that is very helpfull no matter how old it is.

May have just saved some new member a lot of time viewing the boards looking for a cost effective tutorial.

I know I've used this method myself for some armor parts and it DOES work. Getting the whole sheet of PVC perfectly flat can be a pain, but the end results are pretty good.

Ty'renn Argos

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #42 on: Oct 20, 2014, 03:52 AM »
My apologies if I have caused any disconfort posting on such an old thread, I didn't realise it was THAT old...  :-[

Ni cuy' gar vod jii.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #43 on: Oct 20, 2014, 10:15 AM »
My apologies if I have caused any disconfort posting on such an old thread, I didn't realise it was THAT old...  :-[

No harm done....I'm glad the thread worked for you. :)

Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
« Reply #44 on: Oct 21, 2014, 12:27 AM »
The thread being old doesn't make it any less valid, regardless of the OP's status within the club.

I'm going to put a shortcut to this thread in our clan boards for new members to reference.

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
« Reply #45 on: Oct 21, 2014, 08:39 PM »
The OP is still quite the active member, he's just not on the Forums very much ;)

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #46 on: Oct 22, 2014, 08:01 AM »
Nothin wrong with necro posting this thread through. We have a LOT of new members since the last time that somebody posted in this thread and this is one of those that is very helpfull no matter how old it is.

May have just saved some new member a lot of time viewing the boards looking for a cost effective tutorial.

I know I've used this method myself for some armor parts and it DOES work. Getting the whole sheet of PVC perfectly flat can be a pain, but the end results are pretty good.

Yeh fir doose really, Necroposting is one of my pet peeves so it really bothers me. But you're right. Was a bit of a knee jerk reaction.

and don't worry vod, I'm more in the wrong here than you (cause as noted you're actually not), Sorry for the over-reaction.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Ty'renn Argos

« Reply #47 on: Oct 22, 2014, 09:10 AM »
Yeh fir doose really, Necroposting is one of my pet peeves so it really bothers me. But you're right. Was a bit of a knee jerk reaction.

and don't worry vod, I'm more in the wrong here than you (cause as noted you're actually not), Sorry for the over-reaction.

Not over-reacting, it made sense, that's why I apologise  :laugh: All grand vod.

Ni cuy' gar vod jii.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #48 on: Oct 22, 2014, 09:12 AM »
I know a lot of folks aren't keen on necro-posting, but in our forums, sometimes it's actually beneficial to 'bring one back from the dead', so to speak.   :)

Sometimes doing so "dredges up" old threads that are actually helpful, as they tend to become covered-up and buried in the forums as time goes on, and are lost to the membership.  ;)

Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."
« Reply #49 on: Nov 02, 2014, 01:53 AM »
I thank you, sir! You may have saved me $160 or so.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!