Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ohld Vart's Legacy Mando FREE patterns thread

• 128 Replies

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
Re: Ohld Vart's Legacy Mando WIP thread
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 07:01 PM »
LMAO ! One year younger than the Vart ! LOL Nae Luck Jerek  ;)

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2011, 07:20 PM »
Ok, check out my son Drake's Legacy WIP here....

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=38505.0

...and you'll see what direction we are going; It should explain our ideas, so I don't have to repeat it here.  ;)

Our custom-made patterns....

...and my test fit of the same pattern...

I can already see I am going to have to scale them up a little, and add another ab plate to the bottom...more to come... ;)

Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2011, 07:23 PM »
Very cool!

"And what have we learned?"]
Sorry I'm not around much anymore, life is very busy for me at the moment. . .
M.A.J.I.C. #103
A new WIP will be posted eventually. . .

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2011, 08:20 PM »
Florida's becoming Legacy central lol.

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

Drake

• OM #0047 ¦ BVC ¦ Merc Veteran '07
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2011, 08:37 PM »
Florida's becoming Legacy central lol.

Which is why we are the tip of the spear.

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
~John Quincy Adams

[PAGES 1-7 DETAIL ZABRAK MANDO, 7-∞ DETAIL STEEL LEGACY] : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=38505.90
Drake Manufacturing: https://www.facebook.com/DrakeMfg/

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2011, 12:24 AM »
UPDATE: Got most of the pattern work done today; I've got the biceps done (but no pics yet), and am starting to design some helmet and gauntlet concepts. Here are some pics of the paper templates of my kit, which we are going to commit to Sintra this week (Drake's are done, too)...sorry for the blurry-ish pics; my camera's flash blew last week... >:(

Segmented Back plate and Chest plate....will add details to the upper back plate section later....

Chest plate and left pauldron (pattern stolen from Savage Opress on CW)....

Left thigh (inlongated Boba) , modified knee, and shin plates (thanks to the MMCC Legacy templates)....

Same thigh, knee, shin and custom segmented boot plates...

Shots of the shin and boot plates on boot....

I'm still debating as to whether to close the back of the shin plate with a cap, as well as a couple of "wings" to the lower segment of the back plate to be able to tie it to the front plates.

I don't think I'll be making a pee-pee plate for mine (although I am designing one for the pattern set), because I plan on using a kilt/kama hybrid waist cloth and a plate won't be seen.

More to come as we get 'er done.... :D

Rob

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 01:20 AM »
Excellent! Amazing work so far! And as for the "wings", forget them! ;D

M.A.J.I.C. #103

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2011, 07:25 AM »
I'm actually enjoying this.

What's wrong with me? :o ;D

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2011, 10:57 AM »

What's wrong with me? :o ;D

None of us know. :rolleyes:

M.A.J.I.C. #103

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2011, 12:37 PM »
As I said in Drake's thread, nice adaption of the reference art ;). I like the tweaks to the shin plates, and the back plate has some promise to it. One thing I don't really feel the look of is the fourth ab plate. I think it'd look better if you stuck with three and elongated them to make up the difference, but that's just personal opinion.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2011, 10:26 PM »
Thanks, guys.  :)

Slade...I'm thinking the same thing about that fourth plate; I'm trying to compensate for my gut, but I'm not sure it will work. I'm going to string it all together with a duct tape harness, and take a few pics to see what you guys think; like you suggest, maybe 3 wider plates to make up the same length.

And I probably won't have use "wings"on the back plate...just connect the front and rear plates under the armpits.  :)

Rob

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:34 PM by Ohl'd Vart » Logged

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #36 on: Jun 11, 2011, 04:13 PM »
More sketchwork from the Desk of the Vart: These are ideas for the vest designs, based on Whitecrow1's awesome WIP....

This is going to undergo some mods to make it more 'user friendly' (i.e., less sweat inducing for my fat torso  ;D)...more to come on this aspect....

And here's some plate-to-plate attachment and rigging ideas....nothing original here; just me thinking with a pencil, and working out the pauldron attachments.

I haven't had much time to work on my armor lately, as I've been working on Drake's kit, and finalizing the C6 Bounty Hunt plans for next year with my fellow jail crew. I hope to get more done on mine this week, at least the shaping and suspension stuff.  ;)

Rob

Ghostwalker

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #37 on: Jun 11, 2011, 04:23 PM »
I have landed!

Okay let's start with stuff I don't like so We can get to the fun stuff..
-The backplate... it's got no box *sniff* and doesn't look legacy to me.

okay now on to the stuff I like:

-The backplate .. no I'm not bi-polar! if you articulate it along with the abs you may actually get some mobility out of the design.
  Way early on I saw the segmented abs and thought I'd be able to bend over... then I made a single piece, stiff backplate that kills any  mobility gains on the front. I can bend and either choke myself or pop the back of it's lower fastenings.

-The shins! holy cow man, I am so stealing that to replace my Ijaat set shins.

The pauldrons I could take or leave at this point, need to see more progress before I'll commit to a yea or nay.

As far as compensating for the gut... good luck, I struggled there too. Due to a couple other mistakes in my chest build I ended up looking like I had Boobs. This is one of the areas that I will focus on in my re-build, so stay tuned there for fluffy mando help.
First suggestion is get someone to make a duct tape mannequin of you, then use expanding foam and balled up newspaper to fill it.
That makes it really nice and sturdy, letting you form plates without burn and more importantly let you stand back and admire your shape and what you did to work with it. pictures aren't nearly as good as having You model for You.

and since you just posted...
That vest seems almost the exact opposite of where I was thinking of going.
Keep in mind you are wearing a flight suit so you shouldn't need the vest front or back at all, only the sides.

And my pauldrons kept coming off at Allcon with a similar attachment (though on the vest) DEF. try this one out before committing.
I had considered a single point attachment, mid line shoulder with a second attachment to the biceps.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #38 on: Jun 13, 2011, 04:23 PM »
Thanks for the critique, Ghost....it helps to have input!  ;)

First off...yep, the back plate will have some 'box' detail....more to come... ;)

Back plate....yes, it will be segmented like the abs....I had a solid 1-piece back plate with my V.1 armor, years ago, and couldn't stand to wear it; I ditched it on V.2 for a cape, instead.

Shins....steal away, bro...let me know if you need the pattern, and I'll email them to you; I'm going to put the whole set into a template set for download here, once it's done.... :)

The pauldrons...they will be attached together with strapping and then to the biceps (your "single point attachment, mid line shoulder with a second attachment to the biceps" idea).

I'm looking forward to the "fluffy Mando" help.... ;) I think I might try the duct tape dummy idea, if I can buy enough tape to cover my gut!  ;D

Yeah, the vest sketch is basically Whitecrow's design....I'm working on something different now (as we discussed in your thread)...

More to come....

Rob

Ghostwalker

« Reply #39 on: Jun 13, 2011, 06:27 PM »
2x 60' rolls of tape will suffice.. trust me.

please e-mail me the shin templates. Are you making those out of a single sheet and faking the segment lines or actually making segments and gluing them?
 oh and I started work on my new non-cupped look chestplate yesterday.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #40 on: Jun 13, 2011, 08:36 PM »

please e-mail me the shin templates. Are you making those out of a single sheet and faking the segment lines or actually making segments and gluing them?

I'm cutting them as separate plates; and I'm still debating as to making them rigid or harnessed segments. I like the idea of the bottom plates moving up as I walk, and giving way for the boot instep-flex....I'm thinking a combination of the upper 2 plates rigid, the lower 2 movable.

You want a pdf or Autocad drawing of those shin patterns?

Rob

Ghostwalker

« Reply #41 on: Jun 13, 2011, 08:42 PM »
umm I had half a semester over ten years ago of CAD... pdf please if it isn't too much of a pain.
I can still ink blueprints by hand but CAD back then was too clunky for me to get into.

I'm interested in your idea, going both ways never occurred to me.
My plan is to do a single piece and fake the segment lines.
I tried the 4 pieces glued together route and it was okay but hardly perfect.
It was also ALOT of work to shape four pieces each side to my leg AND over/under the neighboring pieces.
Then again you have help available and don't need to work bent over your own leg  :D

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #42 on: Jun 13, 2011, 09:02 PM »
Roger that, bro....having a helper is definite plus!  ;D

Been doing CAD for over 26 years now; started out hand-drafting with Rapido Koh-I-Nor pens...damn was I ever glad to discover AutoCad 10!

Shoot me your email via PM and I'll send those patterns.  :)

Rob

« Reply #43 on: Sep 18, 2011, 07:32 AM »
how are things going with the kit? The concept and mockup is looking grate.

I am but the last of a lost clan. I am a lost Mandalorian now.

Cryxus Lome

• Ever danced with a Rancor in the pale moonlight?
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #44 on: Sep 18, 2011, 04:31 PM »
Those shins and plates look fantastic.  Been trying to figure out how to do mine. Thanks for the idea!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

"The only thing we have to Fear, is Fear itself!"-
                                                        Franklin Delano re Roosevelt
My two most favored quotes of all time.

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=4

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
« Reply #45 on: Sep 20, 2011, 03:22 AM »
Sooo. . . any chance I could acquire the patterns? ;) ;D

M.A.J.I.C. #103

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #46 on: Sep 20, 2011, 10:04 PM »
Yes, you may.  :)

I must apologize to the other folks who are waiting on me, too, as I have promised them copies, also....my new job is demanding more of my free time than I am used to, and I haven't had time to convert the patterns to A4 PDF format. But, I went ahead and made the boot and shin pattern PDFs...they are on the first post.

I've drawn them in Autocad in a 1:1 scale, but if you don't have a large format printer, then it will be hard to print them out....thus the need for the PDF versions.  ;)

I promise I am going to get them all done and linked here, but it'll be later this week.  :)

Rob

« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 10:28 PM by Ohl'd Vart » Logged

Kaden'Dha Runi

• Mandaddy
  • Bringing Vengeance to the Galaxy
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Award for 100 official invasions. 2016 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #47 on: Sep 20, 2011, 11:47 PM »
Rob,

I am liking this WIP.  I, too, have become enamored with the Legacy style armor, but I am not too keen on the Legacy bucket.  I am trying to design an armor with that Legacy feel, but still pays homage to the Fett style and will look good with an Assassin bucket.  I am getting some new inspiration from your WIP.  Keep it coming.

Manda'galaar Clan Los Angeles, CA (USA) #0348      "Hell Hath No Fury Like Mando Vengeance"     M.A.J.I.C. #0051     B.O.M.B. #0013

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #48 on: Sep 21, 2011, 07:26 PM »
Will-do, Kaden....and be sure to post a WIP when you get started!   ;)

Rob

Squirrel

• "TVCP Magnificent 7"
« Reply #49 on: Sep 21, 2011, 07:55 PM »
Thanks for the update Rob! I look forward to taking a whack at those templates! ;D

M.A.J.I.C. #103

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!