Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Dresdon Acacin MK6 Welded Aluminum&Stainless Gauntlets: 40+hrs on fingers

• 200 Replies

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Re: Dresdon Acacin MK5 aluminum Gauntlets
« Reply #175 on: Apr 29, 2014, 12:35 AM »
youll see in a couple days when I have all the pics...or rather, youll see when the paintjob is done and it's installed I suppose :P

but since you actually tried to guess, heres a preview

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2014, 12:41 AM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged
Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #176 on: Apr 29, 2014, 10:22 PM »
Well I hammered out the bottom half of the left gauntlet from a piece of 14gauge aircraft alu i was saving for Arkon Solari's commission(sorry my gauntlet needed it more) and also hammered the indents in on this one. The gauntlets will have a primary colour of black and the indents will be either red or grey. the railgun will be black and gold, and the flamethrower box red as before. the ****-*** will possibly remain bare metal but if I paint it it'll be either green or grey. the Metalstorm will remain black, and the synch'd LEDs will have chrome bezels. I still want to add more weapons....so definetly dart launchers in the corners under the wrist of the gauntlet, and I may likely add more in the line of darts over the flat wrist top part. The right gaunt will have 4 darts and one explosive dart and a laser sight on the wrist part.

omg that looks good with the crushgaunt :o

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Oryon

• Ωryon: Honourable Duelist and Deathwatch Hunter
« Reply #177 on: Apr 29, 2014, 11:09 PM »
That does look sweet with the crushgaunt! I can't wait to see it all finished.

M.A.D. #031    M.A. #087    24er    M.A.B.E.L. #020    M.L.C.S. #19    WIP    Helmet

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #178 on: Apr 29, 2014, 11:21 PM »
well youll be happy to hear that atm ALL the armour is at the paint stage  8)

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #179 on: May 08, 2014, 02:06 PM »
It is:
A gauntlet Terminal
although Im sure more than half of you already knew that...

Which will hold a bank of switches, since it isnt as easy as dremaling a rectangle out of a sheet of 1/16" ABS to put switches, I cut out a rectangle to mount 5 rocker switches.

Its mounted with countersunk 6/32 trusshead machine screws

I havnt wired the switches to anything yet, people are being very....difficult and care very little about helping me kit up so if I can get app pics it will be all I get done that day(spending 2 hours trying to put it on by myself)

It won't stay like this though.

So heres the right gauntlet flamethrower box cover

heavenforbid the paint works nicely...

But copious blackwash helped...

Here the blade is just crammed in and staying in place via compression from the light strip's silicone housing acting like a buffer.

I also blackwashed the hoses so they look more scorched...Im also trying to refrain from getting black on my hands because it takes forever to wash it out of the cracks on my dry skin....

The right gaunt has a gattling gun but a piece came off so there was no gattling gun for a majority of fcbd

I did some more weathering on the gaunt terminal(blackwash) but its not complete.

Here are the painted left gaunt missiles

Still to do on the gaunts:
-lasers
-synch'd LEDs
-terminal screen
-RGB flashing LED in riveted bezel

Kardos Shantiel

• I don't need gaunts I've got the POWER GLOVE!
« Reply #180 on: Jun 04, 2014, 12:44 AM »
Your gaunts.. Nay.. Your entire KIT is amazing! I'm immensely impressed by the amount of hard work you've put into each individual piece!! Congrats, Dresdon! It looks incredible!! :)

Proud member of the Dumbstruck Podcast Team!

http://www.twitch.tv/dumbstruck_podcast

Armor:

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #181 on: Jun 04, 2014, 12:32 PM »
Thanks vod, its taken hundreds of hours but I think it shows XD

There is a MK5 kit overview video in the making that was made or me by a cosplay magazine that interviewed me the other day for an article so I'll have that up here when they release the finished version to me.

Dresdon Acacin

Re: Dresdon Acacin MK6 Welded Aluminum&Stainless Gauntlets: 400+hours
« Reply #182 on: Dec 05, 2015, 12:12 AM »
Damn this threads falln behind...all my own fault but whatever. Also before starting this update note that my keyboard is far from any state of ideal operability.

I wont get too wordy Im hurting and can't sleep...yes the one time I aint aint got time to hurt.

Scuttled the old gauntlts for parts and as per my tradition started on the left

Oh hey this was done wit my powerfist welder....gross-but this was just before C7 anyways.

see? at least 2 parts salvaged. The material used for these is the same aluminum I use for all my commissions, just mad from offcuts so thers a bit of everything.

"A real welder doesn't need to grind his welds" A real welder can blend his welds that have perfect penetration and don't need a bead coming out the top for strength...dikut

flamthrower panels...1/8 aircraft aluminum

Those're some ugly welds....stupid cheap overseas import welder.

Another iteration of the co2 rig that I didnt finish because airplanes and my friend Kat couldnt easily get me CO2 cartridges so I  just decided screw it set other things as higher priorities

So it's made from the same generic co2 cartridge device weather it be a drainline cleaner or tire refill device, the fabrication is 6061T6 aircraft aluminum structural stock

There is a handle to push in easy reach that actuates the valve and I have it set up so the green end is for 12g co2 and the red one is for  16g

Affixing the flamethrower to the gauntlet

oh I use the term flamethrower but it's co2...no that is nothing like what is in an axe can(yes someone literally said that to me) You know what kind of fire suppression they use for oil, textiles, and electrical fires? CO2 CARBON DIOXIDE

I never got to finishing the co2 rig because priorities

Yes the back of the cartridge holder is custom, the inside is bushed with washers to fit 12 and 16g co2 cartridges in their respective parts

Flamethrower nozzels, N type adapters or something I forget what theyre called but same type as the canon boba flamethrower greeblies, just a differant fitting

These go in the square tubes in the front of the gauntlet and in the slits in those tubes, I drop in a piece of sheetmetal, that goes between the threaded parts, also a hose attaches to the pipe end

Grill because mopar. Idk where I was going with that..just mopar.

Aluminum track pieces for the missiles

Textured platform added as a weapon base

AAAAAAAAAAAND I ran out of batteries for the camera so here's the left gaunt before paint. I had added that cannon to the mk5 gauntlet and I simply salvaged it for the mk6. Nice and brushed aluminum with all stainless fasteners......then that random tarnished brass artillery shell primer core as a fluted barrel

Whre are the pics of the new right gauntlet I am wondering while doing this post up

Im seriously surprised I can't find any pics of the right gauntlet WIP...must be on the othr sd card maybe. This is disapointing...Ill have to take pics of the gaunts after I wire them up anyways.

At C7 I had bent th fronts upwards to keep them on, great for circulation

So I drilled some holes, the purpose of these will remain unexplained but I will say that the silicone completely covers them, hopfully you can figure it out on your own for my words fail me.

the holes anchor the silicone on thats all I can come up with

oou the right gaunt

Kalyn Solari helped me set up the straps on the crushgaunts while I was down in VA(read that statement with a dirty mind really quickly) so inside the gaunts there are some stainless clips from an alpen swiss helmet cover, and those mocha coloured straps are riveted to the knuckle of the gauntlt which keeps them from slipping off(I just bend my hand down), also I used fragmentation grenade pin/rings on the straps to hook onto the clips(This is one of those moments you don't question my methods...or sources)

notice how I kept the duel cannons and blade on the side....as well as the waterpump cap on the side near the elbow, its all just set up differantly. And yes the missing dart is intentional. Between each dart goes a red 3mm LED

Time to upgrade[5 months from taking these pics....I think?

I had to keep regluing the plates so the glue kept piling up and I had to open up the gloves

NEW CRUSHGAUNTS.....16 gage 304? stainless steel because Dresdon "Overkill" Acacin. Base gloves are Vector1 Damascus Riot Gauntlets...yes real riot gloves, all leather because leather is much more durable than nomex or kevlar, more abrasion resistant ect.

Cut them out with aviation snips+RonnieColeman hands(dunno who that is? google him), angle grinder, and die grinder....got some new carbide burs the day of so that helped

Oh and I deburred each piece on the bench grinder

At this stage I began to hemmorage motivation/self confidence

I have big hands and riot gloves are big so each plate is quite massive

It was around this point my lovely friend Kati dropped in , 8 hours into the build who can back my claims of time spent on them

I had to hotforge a dip at the end of each plate so they slide together

Which burr to use for refining the profiles...cylindrical until I snapped it off and lost a fingertip in the process, which I had to replace because it went flying

left hand

and that's what it looks like when you run out of shielding gas(left)

I used a 120 grit flapwheel to surface each plate and blend the welds.

Where are the left hand finger bases? Stuff. I didn't have anything nonfrrous to make spikes out of so I made some other...strip-like raised pieces which are still quite effective.

Made the destructive additions from a piece of thick stainless steel

nom

1.5 HOURS PER KNUCKLE CAP?!

did these at 2am(omg the noise) the night before 2 parades

aaaand PAINTED and partially assembled...

other hands like

In the state you see the crushgaunts they have 43 hours of work put in.

« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2015, 12:20 AM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
OMG I want some of those gloves. Loving the raised plate on the knuckle.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Dresdon Acacin

Thanks ori'vod, you can find them on ebay and ChiefSupply, basically most law enforcement outfitter websites

Where I get my riot gear
http://www.chiefsupply.com/damascus/

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Thanks ori'vod, you can find them on ebay and ChiefSupply, basically most law enforcement outfitter websites

Where I get my riot gear
http://www.chiefsupply.com/damascus/

Oh no i meant your additions to the gloves not the base gloves themselves :P

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Xerath Veir

• I'm not dead!
This is not only beautiful, but amazing! This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to go full-metal.

The only things I regret in life are the things I didn't do.

Dresdon Acacin

Oh no i meant your additions to the gloves not the base gloves themselves :P

oooh lol-yea I spent my entire pre-event prep time on those :P

This is not only beautiful, but amazing! This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to go full-metal.
Heh thanks vod  ;D

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
Well that's pretty.

How well can you grip things in them?

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Dresdon Acacin

Pretty well actually-I just need to add the rubberizd grip pads to them but I havnt decided what adhesive I will use yet-leaning towards some industrial stuff Ive got but theres a possibility it will melt the plates lol. Theres allways SealAll but I'm pretty sure that'll melt my rubber grip pads lol.

Ju'siik Kelborn

• When brute force needs dialed to 11
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Stunning work ner'vod.  :o  8) No words I have are good enough.

Rubberized grips for the fingertips. I'll have to get some for the crushgaunts that I'm building. :) I'm just starting on the plate design now, but I hope to have PVC plates for at least one glove by the end of the year (not a ton of time to work on my kit). Where did you get your rubberized grips? Also, have you considered E6000 or Gorilla Glue 2-part epoxy?

Kandosii sa kar'ta, vode an - "Indomitable at heart, brothers all."

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter & Angie Mayhew, Nichelle Nichols, Blair, Stella, Ray Stevenson

Dresdon Acacin

Thanks vod-for adhesives ive hear of E6000 but there isnt really any way to clamp all these short of using visegrips to do one plate at a time, and as for epoxy, id done that before but something wierd happened and after about half a year it started to go gummy on me, superglue ended up breaking off so Im not really certain what Ill use yet, maaaybe contact cement of some type but still looking into it....Saturday I have a toydrive so tomorrow I'll be working on them more, I have some 3M spray contact cement I think Ill try , then theres also superglue if all else fails but I know that will fail.

Also as for grip there are two sources. Im using grooved rubberized canvas straps from a military haversack, then theres also the inner tube from a bike tire you can use

Ju'siik Kelborn

• When brute force needs dialed to 11
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Bike inner tubes. Vor'e ner'vod.  :)

Good luck!

Kandosii sa kar'ta, vode an - "Indomitable at heart, brothers all."

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter & Angie Mayhew, Nichelle Nichols, Blair, Stella, Ray Stevenson

Dresdon Acacin

Thanks, Kati and I'll do the rest today(meant to be read as: Drsdon does everything and kati watches)

Arno Kal-Torra

• If your good at something, Never do it for free.
OMG this thread is AMAZING!!!

Dresdon Acacin

thanks vod B|

idk when Il next be able to update because buisy but hopefully in the near future

Titus Grel

• "A little grit goes a long way"
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
That crush gaunt is nuts dude!
Inspiration has struck me, I must make my own!

"Titus Grel"
OM#1150
Urban Assault
ALUMINATI #32
"Full Metal Mandalorian"

Dresdon Acacin

thanks lol-but just from your profile pic Your gloves fit the look at first glance as is too yknow ;)

Titus Grel

• "A little grit goes a long way"
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Sort of, But they are very recognizable as paint ball gloves.
Plus, when I tried your old pair of gaunts on, I was pretty much puking rainbows.
And I can do it no problem, don't think I'd need to do any welding for the design I'm thinking.

"Titus Grel"
OM#1150
Urban Assault
ALUMINATI #32
"Full Metal Mandalorian"

Dresdon Acacin

seems lrgit, mI aint making any more for a very long time tho lol

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!