Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Increasing the Size of a small helmet to fit a big head.

• 0 Replies

Desago

• Keep your wits sharp, and your blade sharper.
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Award for 75 official invasions. Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
First I had to say I literally have a big head. I have a 24 and a half inch circumference for my head.

Most off the shelf helmets will not fit my head. I have a whole series of photos trying on other's people's buckets for giggles.

My current helmet before I started this project has inside measurements of 9.5 inches ear to ear and 10.5 inches from the visor to the back and it fits with enough room from some fans and other electronic.

At Celebration last year I saw a helmet style, I absolutely feel in love with and later in the year an opportunity presented itself to purchase one.
My project helmet, that I would eventually get to and finish. I played around several ideas of how to increase it to fit my head.. The previous owner had modified the cheeks so that they were not as deep, and it was still too small for my head.

At the beginning of March 2020 I found myself with a lot of free time on my hands.

So I drove right in. The width was close enough that I shouldn't have to make too many splits in the helmet, So I made just one split with a Dremel cutting wheel to extend the front and back 1 inch.

Once the cut was made I test fitted it to make sure ear to ear and height were still good.

And began the process of splicing it back together.

I used 5 minute Epoxy to glue strips of ABS to hold in a 1 inch strip of ABS.

Then began the process of using Bondo to fill in the gaps and start building up the doom.

Once I had Bondo to close up the gaps I fiber glassed the seam.

And decided to fiberglass the entire inside for added support and protection.

I 3D printed new ear caps with a Range finder and utilized an Aluminum stalk I had laying around.

Once the Bondo was smoothed out and sanded to my liking, sorry no photos of filler putty or sanding. I began the task of painting it.

3 hours to mask off the skull for 5 minutes worth of painting.

Then comes the detail

Dirt wash and visor

And finally black wash

Once I get a chance to kit up I'll post some photos sporting it.

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."
L.O.B # 22 | M.A.J.I.C # 166 |M.A.D. # 72 | M.T.S (Mando-Tough) # 89 | S.P.A.R.C.K. # 19 | M.A.C.K # 37| O.O.P.S.! # 27

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!