Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Modified ComMando Buy'ce: F-Hunter Aggro Variant (Edited for Updates)...

• 98 Replies

Zul Veyrde

• "Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy" -FSF
Re: ComMando Buy'ce (Edited for Updates)...
« Reply #60 on: Feb 08, 2014, 07:41 AM »
Glad you're trucking along vod. This hasn't been an easy mod. It's cool that you have a unique concept you were eager to try(I barely wanted to scratch my nice helmets...) following the advice here will help take it from cool concept to wicked custom bucket(subject of much envy). No doubt you can do it vod.

Thanks Ronin.

-ZUL THE PIECEMEAL-
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."-George Bernard Shaw *
Zul Veyrde's WIP thread: GONE METAL! RE-RESURREKTION!!!! (update) *MAJIC#037-M.A.#012-24er-The Elegant Mando Tea Society#038-K.O.M.S.#011-ALUMINATI Metal Armour Society#018-M.A.C.K. Daddy#009-S.O.S.#021-L.O.B.#019-M.A.D.#074-O.O.P.S.#051-\m/M.M.R.S.#029\m/-Grey Brigade*REG*#10-Wrang'alor#015

Tyno Krast

• Easy way or hard way? Either way, I get paid.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #61 on: Feb 08, 2014, 03:55 PM »
Thanks ner vod. I appreciate the positivity...goes a long way. As far as the visor width, its the horizontal part at the brow line, right?

As for the belt, I managed to pick it up from Vicious Pre-Banhammer. No idea where to find
one. Good luck with your search.

Thanks again for the input.

Yeah. It just seems really wide. Kind of like a Hasbro Fett helmet.

Maybe if you brought the brow line down a bit and built up the lower horizontal edge it would narrow the look of the visor some.

Obviously you've checked out the Mando Commando Helmet , Appreciation Society thread. One thing I noticed about the helmets is that for the most part they maintain that iconic T-visor look which makes them instantly identifiable as mando.

Take my comments with a grain of salt. I'm a purist and am on love with the classic modern style helmet. So really the only person who needs to love your helmet is you. As long as you dig it and have fun that's really all that matters.

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #62 on: Feb 09, 2014, 03:28 AM »
Yeah. It just seems really wide. Kind of like a Hasbro Fett helmet.

Maybe if you brought the brow line down a bit and built up the lower horizontal edge it would narrow the look of the visor some.

Obviously you've checked out the Mando Commando Helmet , Appreciation Society thread. One thing I noticed about the helmets is that for the most part they maintain that iconic T-visor look which makes them instantly identifiable as mando.

Take my comments with a grain of salt. I'm a purist and am on love with the classic modern style helmet. So really the only person who needs to love your helmet is you. As long as you dig it and have fun that's really all that matters.
Grain of salt or no, it's supposed to at least vaguely resemble a Mandalorian helmet, and with the modifications you've done, it feels completely lost.  The visor is entirely too wide in every direction, the "bridge of the nose" piece looks off, the cheek venting doesn't fit the vibe of any Modern Mandalorian helmet (I'm assuming you're doing a Modern kit, yes?).

You're running with a very unusual style of helmet (approvable and awesome though it is, the ComMando needs a hand here and there to maintain its look as a Mando bucket), and while your modifications might have worked with a helmet a little closer to the traditional style, it just doesn't work on yours, and instead comes off as generic sci fi.

My recommendation: cover it all up and start over, or buy/ build a more traditional-style helmet to modify.

Zul Veyrde

« Reply #63 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:08 AM »
I appreciate all valid opinions/critiques in this matter. Plans for improvements are underway. All hardcore purists/naysayers may please refrain from posting opinions that derail me from this endeavor. Positive critiques are more appreciated than comments about "starting over." I got this.

Woosah..

-ZUL THE PIECEMEAL-
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."-George Bernard Shaw *
Zul Veyrde's WIP thread: GONE METAL! RE-RESURREKTION!!!! (update) *MAJIC#037-M.A.#012-24er-The Elegant Mando Tea Society#038-K.O.M.S.#011-ALUMINATI Metal Armour Society#018-M.A.C.K. Daddy#009-S.O.S.#021-L.O.B.#019-M.A.D.#074-O.O.P.S.#051-\m/M.M.R.S.#029\m/-Grey Brigade*REG*#10-Wrang'alor#015

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #64 on: Feb 09, 2014, 01:40 PM »
I appreciate all valid opinions/critiques in this matter. Plans for improvements are underway. All hardcore purists/naysayers may please refrain from posting opinions that derail me from this endeavor. Positive critiques are more appreciated than comments about "starting over." I got this.

Woosah..
It's not about being a purist, or negative for the sake of being negative.  I'm not here to recommend you start over because of my own amusement.  Believe me, I know scrapping a project this far through a build will cause no small amount of heartache; I've had to do it myself once or twice.  I'm telling you this as a colleague who wants to see you in an approvable, attractive, successful kit.  I want you to not have to spend time and effort on a design that probably won't float.

Really, though, I'd recommend closing up the visor portion a bit, removing the nasal bridges, removing the piece from the bottom of the t-visor, and filling in the vents.  With just those few modifications, I feel you could be back on the right track with this build.

Zul Veyrde

« Reply #65 on: Feb 09, 2014, 08:43 PM »
It's not about being a purist, or negative for the sake of being negative.  I'm not here to recommend you start over because of my own amusement.  Believe me, I know scrapping a project this far through a build will cause no small amount of heartache; I've had to do it myself once or twice.  I'm telling you this as a colleague who wants to see you in an approvable, attractive, successful kit.  I want you to not have to spend time and effort on a design that probably won't float.
Really, though, I'd recommend closing up the visor portion a bit, removing the nasal bridges, removing the piece from the bottom of the t-visor, and filling in the vents.  With just those few modifications, I feel you could be back on the right track with this build.
I know there was no disrespect. I'm making some adjustments, just not going so far backwards. The whole point of these mods was for a particular look I wanted to achieve. So scrapping it and doing all that is admitting a total failure, which this isn't.

I did some work today. Added some plastic scrap and sculpted epoxy to drop the brow line and narrow the horizontal bar of the T. Also removed the vents and started cutting uniform
rectangles to make verticle slat-style vents for the cheeks and back of the helm.
I know its extreme and I appreciate people's concerns, but I'm confident I can improve these
mods and maintain the integrity of my idea, without calling this whole thing quits, AND do it within MMCC standards, thanks to input from many of you guys as well as members of the App team, that I've been in contact with.

Thank you all.

-ZUL THE PIECEMEAL-

Zul Veyrde

« Reply #66 on: Mar 13, 2014, 10:09 AM »
Okay quick post for recent updates. Cut out the nasal bridge for a more recognizable T-visor. Used Epoxy putty to seal in the new vents, with a more uniform aesthetic. The rear vents will have a domed look, courtesy of the lids from those Keurig style individual coffee cups that you see in the As Seen on TV commercials. Right now this is with an initial round of sanding/detailing. Mesh will be added to the vent backing to avoid the Peakaboo...

FRONT

RIGHT

REAR

LEFT

Thank you all for your input. I can be stubborn, I admit. But I think we're reaching a good point in our efforts.

Critiques welcome...

-ZUL THE PIECEMEAL-

Jaa'det Otxoa

• You can't shoot what you can't see! OM #0872
« Reply #67 on: Mar 13, 2014, 10:33 AM »
Those vents look 1000% better Vod! ;)

Glad to see that you  were able to take the suggestions well and improve the look of the bucket! I'm sure when it all said and done you will have one kandosii! buy'ce!! ;D

Keep up the awesome work!

<->Firaxan Clan<->M.A.J.I.C. #096<->M.A. #049<->M.A.D. #016<->T.E.M.T.S. #035<-> 

Weapons: 53%
Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Zul Veyrde

« Reply #68 on: Mar 13, 2014, 03:43 PM »
Thanks bud! I'm def on a better track w/ this build I think. Gotta strengthen the vent frame's slot dividers w/ some steel stick and give it another round or two of sanding. I still wanna keep it pocked a bit for some 3D weathering. I also added some scarring on the left side of the top of it and over the right brow, to match some old scars I have from a fight and a long forgotten childhood coffee table respectively.

The story is that Zul got this helm from his dad, so its got a lot of old and new scarring/weathering.

Stay in touch Readers!

-ZUL THE PIECEMEAL-

Tyno Krast

• Easy way or hard way? Either way, I get paid.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #69 on: Mar 13, 2014, 07:19 PM »
Those vents!!!!  :o

Nice touch!

Seems like you're on the right track vod!

Ulrik Kanteer

• Conquer your fear......or die a coward
  • Awards 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #70 on: Mar 14, 2014, 09:26 PM »
Though I like creative work I'm going to be honest this could be difficult to get approved with but...... I'm going to talk it over with the app team on what needs to be done. Could you do me a favor reseat the visor in and post pictures so we can get a real good look at it

Zul Veyrde

« Reply #71 on: Mar 14, 2014, 09:50 PM »
Though I like creative work I'm going to be honest this could be difficult to get approved with but...... I'm going to talk it over with the app team on what needs to be done. Could you do me a favor reseat the visor in and post pictures so we can get a real good look at it

Once things free up (if not during this weekend/ upcoming week, I've got a long weekend next Fri that I plan on devoting to this build. I want to finish sealing and sanding, then close up vents
w/ mesh and some dome shaped pieces. It'll seal it all up.
I would love to get critiques from the app team, so stay tuned. Feel free to let me know if its ok, so far. If not I can wait till I get better pics though.

-ZUL THE PIECEMEAL-

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #72 on: Mar 15, 2014, 01:23 AM »
I can wait until I see it with the vents closed up, but I have a really hard time seeing "Mandalorian" on that helmet.

NOT saying it's not good work, there's skills involved in this build. But I don't see Mando...  :-\

Zul Veyrde

« Reply #73 on: Mar 15, 2014, 07:48 AM »
Really?

I brought down the brow-line as was suggested and tried to sculpt a more prominent mandible area as well as a more distinct visor profile. I think the visor area def looks more mando now.

Will keep you posted.

-ZUL THE PIECEMEAL-

Zul Veyrde

« Reply #74 on: Mar 16, 2014, 06:01 PM »
Added some steel stik to the cheeks and everything for reinforcement. Also built up the brow and mandibles for a more Mando-recognizable aesthetic. Visor depicted for overall intended look.

Also showing the domed pieces I will use for the rear vents.
Let it cure then sanding.

FRONT

RIGHT

W/ Rear DOME VENTS

REAR

LEFT

There it is...

-ZUL THE PIECEMEAL-

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!