Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Arden's new JUMP pack

• 22 Replies

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Sistine Chest Plate - Official Member with most intricate paint job Open Seasons Death Watch Brigade MEmber Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Arden's new JUMP pack
« on: Jul 09, 2011, 08:10 PM »
Finally finished this today after about four months on and off.  :D

The main 'tubes' are PVC pipes, with various plumbing fittings affixed to their ends, and the shiny 'missile' parts are gear shifter handles.  The pack doesn't match my armor at all, this is intentional.  The writing reads 'Mer Sonn Inc' as that is the company that produces many personal jetpacks in the SW universe-- I kind of wanted this to look a bit like a fancy 'sports car' pack that's a bit beat up and has seen better days.

Another note-- this pack is quite small, hence the term 'jump' pack rather than 'jet' pack.  In fact, it's only about 12" tall at its tallest point.  A boba-style is used for flying short distances, and I figure this one could be used more for leaping short heights, more like, say, the jump packs used in Halo.  Very short duration stuff.  (I also thought Boba or Jango style would look too big on me.  Also also I wanted to design my own pack. )  :)

-Abby Lusk (MMCC Official Member #81)
Quartermaster for the MMCC 2009-May 2013

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
Re: Arden's new JUMP pack
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2011, 08:16 PM »
Thats Brilliant , will you add a missile or some thing similar ? Or which end is up ?  ;)

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2011, 08:16 PM »
Like, like, like!!

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Sistine Chest Plate - Official Member with most intricate paint job Open Seasons Death Watch Brigade MEmber Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2011, 08:17 PM »
Thats Brilliant , will you add a missile or some thing similar ? Or which end is up ?  ;)

No missiles, this thing;s for jumps only.  And the shiny silver parts point up.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2011, 08:20 PM »
Nice one  ;) I can picture it on yer back now , Great job by the way  ;)

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2011, 08:36 PM »
Funky pack, vod! Definitely looks like it belongs in the SW universe.

Are those snaps connecting the pipes with the webbing? Anything attach to it or is that just for aesthetics?

Oya!

Andry         ; )

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2011, 09:14 PM »
Bolts, actually, and they're just for show though I may dangle a trophy or two off of them sometime.

Hagen Nor'ak

• More then credits
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2011, 11:06 AM »
Why didn't you use leather straps instead of the nylon ones? I mean you already have some beautiful leather work on your kit, why the switch for the pack? The nylon straps takes away from the pack in my oppinian, but I don't like nylon in general so it should be taken with a grain of salt. Always love your paint apps though.

Have a good one,
Hagen

Dralkote

• Tuo Silens Mors
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2011, 12:47 PM »
Wow this looks pretty darn cool!  8)
Is this the final design?

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2011, 02:49 PM »
Why didn't you use leather straps instead of the nylon ones? I mean you already have some beautiful leather work on your kit, why the switch for the pack? The nylon straps takes away from the pack in my oppinian, but I don't like nylon in general so it should be taken with a grain of salt. Always love your paint apps though.

Have a good one,
Hagen

Like I said in my first post, the pack is not meant to match my armor, and I thought the nylon gave the pack more of a 'gently used recreational vehicle' look.  Basically I'm hoping to convey that the pack is not intended as a combat item, but as a 'fun' thing like a jetski or snowmobile that Arden has found an alternate use for.  *shrug*  That's the story behind it, anyway, but really I just thought the nylon looked better for this particular application.

Hagen Nor'ak

• More then credits
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2011, 07:12 AM »
Hmm. Well like I said I'm not a fan of nylon. But instead of leather, maybe those black rubber bungycords used for the strapping things down. Or maybe some metal strips... Yeah I really don't like nylon :p

Have a good one,
Hagen

Jarvis Dimmias Falco

• M.A.J.I.C. #39
« Reply #11 on: Jul 12, 2011, 09:12 AM »
very very nice.  Im not a fan of jetpacks/jumppacks myself, but I have to admit, that is cool.    Nice job  :)

All Arrhythmias straighten themselves out at the end.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #12 on: Jul 12, 2011, 03:40 PM »
Wow, simply stunning. Very professional looking and in universe feel.
Mind revealing the secret of what you used for the metal pieces?

Phenomenal work, really like everything about it.  ;D

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #13 on: Jul 12, 2011, 03:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure they are shifter knobs!

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2011, 04:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure they are shifter knobs!
I meant the two side rocket cylinders, not the knob on the main cylinder.  :P

Jerek Darr

« Reply #15 on: Jul 12, 2011, 04:08 PM »
As I said, turned alluminum shifter knobs, or handles, if you prefer.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Thaxos

« Reply #16 on: Jul 12, 2011, 04:09 PM »
As I said, turned alluminum shifter knobs, or handles, if you prefer.
Ahh, thought you were referring to the small knob  :rolleyes:

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
« Reply #17 on: Jul 12, 2011, 10:34 PM »

Sounds like a personal problem.

Thaxos

« Reply #18 on: Jul 12, 2011, 10:44 PM »
Sounds like a personal problem.

Har har har...

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #19 on: Jul 12, 2011, 10:56 PM »

Ouch !  :P

Hagen Nor'ak

• More then credits
« Reply #20 on: Jul 13, 2011, 04:16 AM »
"Owwwwe... Right in the shinny part!!"
Have a good one,
Hagen

Jerek Darr

« Reply #21 on: Jul 13, 2011, 03:19 PM »
What the ,,,,,,,, I go to work for the day and come back to that??????  :D   From now on ALL talk of my small knobs must be in PMs.  :D :D :D :D :D

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

TheMandoMan

• MMCC #0001
« Reply #22 on: Jul 14, 2011, 01:43 AM »
Agreed on the nylon straps, this is one of few applications where it actually works much better than leather, looks more like a "stock" pack than custom, which is exactly what you were going for.

Great work on it!  

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!