Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jacad's Jetpack

• 47 Replies

Jacad Moonstar

• The Ghost of Alaris Prime
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
Jacad's Jetpack
« on: Jul 26, 2011, 02:06 AM »
Hey guys, I've decided to show my incomplete Jetpack kit I got.

Its made out of PVC piping, thick cardboard and *shudders* plastic cardboard. The next thing I need to do is Bondo it, then Prime it and than paint it with a few coats of silver and finally my mando colors (Black and hunter green)

This Kit has many design flaws I had to work through and It nearly ripped all my hair out trying to correct these errors. As I'm posting this, I am using my Drafting equipment to correct these errors and produce another Jetpack to fix the previous errors. Thats right Ladies and Gents, I actually have more parts to produce about 10 of these. My improvised Jetpacks are going to use Sintra instead of this Plastic cardboard crap and I'm bascially going to make a simialr design to the JT-12, but with a bit of Jacad's customizing (I'm also going to attempt to make a Z-6 with these templates).

Another thing you notice right away is that there is no back shroud/plate that meets near the missile tub, thats because there was none, another thing I need to fix.

One final note is that the Missile is missing, because the one the kit came with is completely undesirable and I'm going to build an improvised missile (My mando is a weaponsmith and part time engineer)

« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2011, 12:52 PM by Jacad Adfai » Logged
MVS Founder

♫Springtime for Vader and Palpatine! Winter time for Alderaan and Hoth!♫

Ciryc Cuyan

• Manda'Galaar Clan
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
Re: Jacad's Jetpack WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2011, 12:18 PM »
looks good so far as is

-Ciryc-

Official Merc # 433        M.A.J.I.C  # 050   
 Buffet Brigade #5
helmet wip: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=79576.0

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2011, 01:16 PM »
looks good, i do like the angular look of it  ;) .

Jacad Moonstar

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2011, 01:12 AM »
After using Bondo for the first time (took me 3 hours to bondo the uneven jetpack, I sanded the bondo excess and primes in 2 coats.

After that, I applied about 3 coats of metallic silver as a start for weathering before I apply my mando colors on.

Also notice that I removed the funnels from the jetpack, my regional squad leader who has a Jetpack gave me even a better altertnative for thrusters

Not pictured, I found sheet metal that was trianglular that can be placed on the sharp angle of the missile tube, after playing around with it and coating in 2 coats of black paint, I got myself an armor plate my jetpack has to prevent those pesky misfires that Ol' Boba fell prey to.

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

Re: Jacad's Jetpack WIP 85% complete!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2011, 10:55 PM »
After a bit of painting and decorating, this is my nearly completed jetpack, the only things missing is one more greeblie, a missile, a backplate and a harness...

I'll black brush the open silver spots to emphasize the weathering

I use a piece of a cole latern that was battery powered for it on the missile tube

A close up of the sheet metal plate, I used a hard wire brush to make the metal, then kept the area around the rough edge to give the weather spot a carbon look to the metal

MVS Founder

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2011, 07:45 AM »
you need to work on your weathering more. at the moment it looks like camo blotching. get some scratches in there, but also look at how natural weathering works. for example, areas that would be handled a lot, edges would be worn, blast marks, natural dirt. all these things need to be taken into consideration when it comes to weathering.

Ciryc Cuyan

• Manda'Galaar Clan
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2011, 09:41 PM »
you need to work on your weathering more. at the moment it looks like camo blotching. get some scratches in there, but also look at how natural weathering works. for example, areas that would be handled a lot, edges would be worn, blast marks, natural dirt. all these things need to be taken into consideration when it comes to weathering.

i agree with remo, some tips are you can simply skip it on concrete some black wash and a screw driver for some scrapes but your almost there keep on it .

-Ciryc-

Official Merc # 433        M.A.J.I.C  # 050   
 Buffet Brigade #5
helmet wip: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=79576.0

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2011, 09:43 PM »
Alright, at the moment, I'm painting the edges silver to give it a worn look, I'm about to add another Greeblie near the missile tube

MVS Founder

Dar'manda

• Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 50 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2011, 10:02 PM »
did you save the templates
???

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2011, 12:23 AM »
did you save the templates
???
Yes I did, and I have materials to spare

MVS Founder

Dar'manda

• Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 50 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Aug 02, 2011, 12:28 AM »
yea we can use them to make more!!!!

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #11 on: Aug 02, 2011, 03:12 AM »
yea we can use them to make more!!!!
Once I finish this one, I'll lay down the skinny on mass producing these Packs  :D

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #12 on: Aug 02, 2011, 03:25 AM »
I went a wee little crazy on the silver paint and sand paper, to create a weathered look, whatcha think?

And yes, those are car accents acting as auxillilary vents for the missile tube.

MVS Founder

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
« Reply #13 on: Aug 02, 2011, 05:37 AM »
better, now you just need to add some grime.  ;)

Gesai Primax

• Death becomes you
« Reply #14 on: Aug 03, 2011, 02:34 PM »
Definitely better! It might be a bit much, but a good amount of black wash /grime will knock it down. I like it!

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #15 on: Aug 03, 2011, 10:55 PM »
Alright, just did a bit of Dry Brushing, I tried to black wash but I couldn't get the mixture right or that the areas I was painting on had paint and caused it to dissolve with the mixture of Acrylic/brush cleaner and flat black

Here is what I got

MVS Founder

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #16 on: Aug 04, 2011, 06:06 AM »
nice work

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
« Reply #17 on: Aug 04, 2011, 08:11 AM »
dry brushing is as good as any teqnique, i use it a lot. but yes, that looking better  ;) .

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #18 on: Aug 04, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Definitely better! It might be a bit much, but a good amount of black wash /grime will knock it down. I like it!
What he said  :P
Black wash will definitely dirty it up and make the weathering look more natural.

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #19 on: Aug 24, 2011, 09:32 PM »
Alright Ladies and Gentlemandos, As I just got my hands on some foam PVC plastic to serve as a backplate/shroud for my Jetpack. I am in a Dilemma of finding parts to make a missile. In the picture below is my workbench and those are actually all the parts I Propose that could make a missile.

I am not really crazy for similarities to Jango's Concussion missile or Boba's Anti-vehicle missile. Since my Mando is a Weapon smith, he pretty much made the missile himself and have plenty of more.

(*PICTURES COMING SOON!!!)

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #20 on: Aug 24, 2011, 10:48 PM »
Alright, here are my Greeblies, and yes that is my Jetpack in the background, XD. ITs leaning like that because I'm letting the hot glue slide around inside to find the cracks of my newly attached Backplate

Greeblie 5 an fit on 3 very easily, shown here

« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2011, 03:37 PM by Jacad Adfai » Logged
MVS Founder

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #21 on: Aug 24, 2011, 11:49 PM »
Invert #4, add #1, stack #3 on top, cap with #5.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #22 on: Aug 25, 2011, 02:15 AM »
As Proposed and fit on the top of the pack
(I used tape to hold all the greeblies together)

MVS Founder

Nate Jangotat

• Just trying to make my way in the universe...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Boba and Jango
« Reply #23 on: Aug 25, 2011, 06:51 AM »
Looks a bit huge to me, I'd either take away the bottom of the 2 blue ones or remove both blue ones altogether - wouldn't want you to knock it off while walking through doorways  ;)

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #24 on: Aug 25, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Now that looks mean! Almost gives off an EMP missle vibe.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!