Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Boda's Gaunts! Pic heavy

• 16 Replies

bodatheyoda

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Boda's Gaunts! Pic heavy
« on: Aug 07, 2011, 02:51 PM »
I finally started on my gaunts yesterday and then did a little more work on them today. I started with two plastic tumblers, and cut them in half. As a base for attachments, I started with this: I chopped up the main bit, and ditched the kiddy rockets and replaced them with something a little more adultish.

Those are two .50 cal rounds taken out of the casings. Also in the rear are two braided hoses, one vinyl and one stainless steel. One the sides, the two white circles are parts to a Has Solo DL-44

The other part of the toy, will go on the side of my left wrist. It is cut way way smaller than it came. That's an air compressor from a nerf gun, with a DL-44 piece as a rocket nozzle. The carriage is part of an engine from a model car.

Re: Boda's Gaunts! Pic heavy
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2011, 11:52 AM »
Those look cool Kev. Nice work so far!

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2011, 02:08 PM »
Interesting use of parts, looking forward to seeing this progress.

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

Does your signature look cut off? Here's why!

Jarvis Dimmias Falco

• M.A.J.I.C. #39
« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2011, 04:58 PM »
Dude.  My kid has 2 of these and he hasnt used them in like 2 yrs right, so im thinking the same thing you are right,  I find it in the basement storage room collecting an inch of dust and I tell him I need 1 and he gets all whiny and starts crying about it so there goes my idea.  Lesson learned.  Take kids toys apart before you tell them and then say you found it broken in the first place.  ;)

All Arrhythmias straighten themselves out at the end.

Omega

• Thread Killer
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2011, 08:58 PM »
Very Nifty build so far.  :)

Killing threads since 2013

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2011, 09:01 PM »
  Take kids toys apart before you tell them and then say you found it broken in the first place.  ;)

Or pilfer from the neighbors kids.......

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072
« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2011, 05:16 PM »
Lesson learned.  Take kids toys apart before you tell them and then say you found it broken in the first place.  ;)

Or, if you want to be the cool parent.  I buy the pieces from them.  Usually for a buck.  Then, I don't have to lie and they know its going for a good cause. 

Example:
Me: Hey buddy, you need this piece?

Child: You wanna use it for your Mandalorian doncha?

Me: Yeah, give ya a buck for it.

Child: How bout 5.

Me:  How bout I just take it cause ya haven't used it in three years it and you get nothin.

Child: A dollar sounds good.

And there ya have it.  Simple and elegant.

(Ewok sketch by John Rush Senior Character Artist EA Bioware)

Founding Member of M.E.T.S.
Mandalorians for the Ethical Treatment of Strill

Jarvis Dimmias Falco

• M.A.J.I.C. #39
« Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2011, 05:33 PM »
Actually believe out or not, he brought out to me the other day and says dad u can have it. I'm really not gonna use it anymore, just make out look sweet when ur done.   What an awesome son I have  ;D

All Arrhythmias straighten themselves out at the end.
« Reply #10 on: Aug 25, 2011, 09:33 PM »
Always nice when the kids are wanting to help out and make your kit better.  I'm pretty lucky in that regard myself.  Keep up the good work.  Can't wait to see a coat of primer to break up that Iron Man color.

bodatheyoda

« Reply #11 on: Aug 30, 2011, 09:25 PM »

Date pad thingy I made from a calculator I'm gonna put on my opposite gaunt. The screen has painters tape on it, that's why it looks odd.

« Reply #12 on: Aug 31, 2011, 02:52 AM »
I know you are working very hard on your design, but... It just looks like a calculator with Aurebesh on it.  I'm sorry, but ya can't just take an earth item, slap some Star Wars letters and numbers on it add a few greeblies and say.  "Its now Star Wars."  I applaud your enthusiasm, but I really think you can do so much better.  Find cheap toy knockoff of an ipod or a smart phone and use that.  It should be more screen than buttons.  Maybe replace the buttons and add dials and switches.  Someone on here put it very well.  Star Wars tech resembles an awful lot of 70's era tech.  So, think 70's.  Big buttons, switches, dials etc.  Just something to think about.  Keep it up.  Never give up, never surrender! :)

bodatheyoda

« Reply #13 on: Aug 31, 2011, 05:38 PM »
Those aren't just any greeblies. Those are actual pieces to different weapons from the orginal trilogy.

The Dial goes to a DL-44

The other two pieces go to the pistol of an imperial Col. but I'm having issues remembering who or the name of the gun >.< Those are 100% in universe parts, as are every single other item I have attached to any part of my mando.

*edit: Actually I think the other two pieces belong to an SE-14r. Which is the promo pistol a stormtrooper was holding. It was never seen in the movies.

Beviin Atin Eparavu

• Barrel Eparavu. Disgruntled clone and general jerk
« Reply #14 on: Aug 31, 2011, 06:47 PM »
Very kandosii so far. Can't wait to see the outcome!

Daddy will always love his little girl. I miss you, Jenny.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!