Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kyr'a Laar WIP

• 58 Replies

Kyr'a Laar

• "A blaster is for work, a blade is for vengeance."
Kyr'a Laar WIP
« on: Sep 26, 2011, 01:14 AM »
Hi there!
Hokay so, this is a very rough sketch of what I am aiming for. As you can see there are several different ideas for the ab plate, and not really anything for the back plate....but I can't really draw well....and this took me a while and a great deal of erasing and starting over to create. This just gives a rough idea. I will try and go over it with photoshop later on just to pull together what I am thinking on the color scheme as well. Not definite, but this is certainly a start.
Feedback puuuuhhlllleeeeease. :)

« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2011, 01:54 AM by Kyra Laar » Logged

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

• Last official Verd'ika with no relatives in!
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Kyr'a Laar WIP
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2011, 02:23 AM »
Well, from the very rough sketch, it looks good so far, but there is one thing that bugs me: The collar plate, it is way to long. Now granted, we have yet to see a photo of you, but by generalizing here, i would say shrink that puppy down to like half size...

Teren Clan

RoboEmma

• aka Roboemma
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2011, 12:54 PM »
Considering this is only a rough sketch, one can't really take the scale of the collar plate into account; no reason to "shrink" something that is a drawing, not a template. :P Other than that, there's not much feedback people can give you with just a sketch to go off of; I say start building! :) We'll be able to give you more advice when you start the templates.

~

Kyr'a Laar

« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2011, 12:57 PM »
Well, from the very rough sketch, it looks good so far, but there is one thing that bugs me: The collar plate, it is way to long. Now granted, we have yet to see a photo of you, but by generalizing here, i would say shrink that puppy down to like half size...

You are not wrong there. My proportions are a little bit off. Like I said, I can't draw. And there is probably some distortion because it is a photo....my scanner said "Poo, I'm not going to work for you"
Also, I am planning on using the mannequin method for this since it is my first kit.

Kyr'a Laar

« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2011, 03:12 PM »
Okay,  for some reason I'm having trouble posting pics, IDK why. I am trying to upload my color scheme, but it won't work. I'll keep trying though.

« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2011, 03:15 PM »
This thread explains how to post pics perfectly...
Tutorial: How to Upload/Post Pictures

“There’s no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.” – The Fourth Doctor

Aliit ori’shya tal’din -"Family is more than blood"
This is the Way

Kyr'a Laar

« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2011, 03:26 PM »
This thread explains how to post pics perfectly...
Tutorial: How to Upload/Post Pictures

Actually that is how I'm trying to post, and it's not working. *sadface*

Kyr'a Laar

« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2011, 05:08 PM »
Okay I have pics and I keep trying to post them, and they are not working. AnYWHOO, my color scheme is metallic gunmetal, tealish/aquaish blue and blood red. I think I am going to try and use a charcoal grey flight suit and perhaps a bluish vest. Not so sure on that for the vest though. Have plans for a cape and some other things as well.
Ordered my first mannequin today I'm so excited! Running to Lowe's to look at dremel tools as well today and I also found some toy guns on sale at Walmart that I may buy and dismantle.
I still really don't know what I'm doing, but I'm super excited to try!!!

misstori

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2011, 06:27 PM »
That  color scheme sounds very nice.  What do you have in mind for the primary color?

Bit by bit,
Putting it together...
Piece by Piece-
Only way to make a work of art.
Every moment makes a contribution,
Every little detail plays a part.
Having just a vision's no solution,
Everything depends on execution:
Putting it together-
That's what counts!

Kyr'a Laar

« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2011, 07:29 PM »
OKay, this time it worked. HOoray! This is what I'm thinking on colors. They didn't come out as bright and deep on the computer design as I wanted, but oh well, it's in my head. (and I'm not good with photoshop)  The grey will be gunmetal....probably will use a paint texture that will give it a hammered or more raw metal look, but not sure on that yet. Thinking med to light charcoal grey on the soft parts, bluish vest, but not decided on that part yet. I have a mannequin on the way, and perhaps will have the opportunity to start this weekend I hope.

« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2011, 07:40 PM by Kyra Laar » Logged

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2011, 07:36 PM »
This may just me being picky but I think that the red is a wee bit too bright, it is a concept after all. I like it otherwise. :)

Kyr'a Laar

« Reply #11 on: Sep 28, 2011, 07:41 PM »
This may just me being picky but I think that the red is a wee bit too bright, it is a concept after all. I like it otherwise. :)

Well the colors didn't come out the way I wanted on the computer....I'm wanting to use a deeper red color. I want it to pop out for sure since it is an accent color, but I don't want it to look ridiculous....

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:31 PM »
Why do I feel like I'm playing Zelda?  ;)

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Kyr'a Laar

« Reply #13 on: Sep 29, 2011, 08:29 PM »

Whaaaaaaat

Jaro

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #14 on: Sep 29, 2011, 08:31 PM »
I like the color scheme, tho I agree maybe the red is a tad bright. I think a darker red would still look really good.

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2011, 09:51 PM »

Fierce Deity?

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #16 on: Sep 30, 2011, 01:31 AM »
Between the colors and the shaping, it brings to mind the old Legend of Zelda games. Not saying that's a bad thing.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Kyr'a Laar

« Reply #17 on: Sep 30, 2011, 12:03 PM »
Between the colors and the shaping, it brings to mind the old Legend of Zelda games. Not saying that's a bad thing.
LOL! I didn't even think about that.
Well, it will look VERRRRY different in real life I'm thinking. The colors will be better. :)

Kyr'a Laar

« Reply #18 on: Oct 04, 2011, 10:22 PM »
I GOT MY MANNEQUIN!!!!

Jerek Darr

« Reply #19 on: Oct 04, 2011, 11:05 PM »
I GOT MY MANNEQUIN!!!!

You know,,,, a year ago, that statemant would have sounded weird to me!  :D

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Kyr'a Laar

« Reply #20 on: Oct 06, 2011, 10:39 AM »
You know,,,, a year ago, that statemant would have sounded weird to me!  :D

LOL, a few months ago I would have said the same :D

« Reply #21 on: Oct 11, 2011, 06:05 PM »
Woot!

PICS NAO.

Please. :> ?

Kyr'a Laar

« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2011, 12:10 AM »
Okidokie.

A. I have been very sick. Boo hiss.

2. I have had to finish up a great deal of work from my summer job.

Suffice it to say, I have had no time for myself or my armor. *sadface* As soon as I am able I will get to work, and post pictures. PROMISE!

Kyr'a Laar

« Reply #23 on: Oct 19, 2011, 02:53 PM »
OKiday, did some drawerings.....

Used dry erase marker, but I will go back with rulers and such at a later date. Proportion suggestions? I know it's hard to figure that, but I'd rather cut the plates too big instead of too small.

I feel like I could do something better with the chest plate....I'm kind of sitting here scratching my head. (Lack of sleep will make you stupid btw)

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #24 on: Oct 20, 2011, 06:26 AM »
The chest plate looks a little long. I originally cut mine with loads of room to spare, then found that when I got them onto me I couldn't bend at all.
But as you said, better to cut them bigger as you can keep trimming them, you can't add bits back on.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!