Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Author Topic: Helmet Sizing V 2.0  (Read 13322 times)

Hondo Karr

• Formerly 'Falin Skirata'
  • Head Shot Props formerly Skirata Arms
  • Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
    • Awards
Helmet Sizing V 2.0
« on: Nov 05, 2011, 11:05 AM »
Hey guys, some time ago, Saz and I started talking about a new method to size helmets... helmet base to helmet width ratio. Saz was able to speak with Jeremy Bulloch, who is an Official Member of Saz' clan, and learned the following...

Jeremy has gotten back to me regarding his height and shoulder size, so this is the perfect size for a 1:1

5'11" with 21 inches Shoulder to shoulder.

Remo is 6ft2 with 22 inches, he looked ok with a 2 piece, but the 1:1 looked much better.

So would it be wise to set the differece to 20-21 inches at the shoulder and 5ft 10?

Obviously we have alot of research to do on this still. I don't know if we'll be able to acquire it but, I'd love to get the stats for Tem Morrison as well. And I want to get it from a few more members as well so we can set up a good scale.

There will obviously be a bit of fluctuation as sizes get smaller and larger on people but, for Jeremy, the archtype for proper proportionate fit, the ratio is 2:1 (2 being the shoulder width and 1 being the helmet width). A 1:1 helmet will vary slightly from one maker to the next but, they are approximately 10-11" wide. There are of course variable like the M-DSB Assassin which is one of the widest 1:1 helmets out there but, the sleek design of the helmet gives it a narrowing effect. When I had one I had to heat and stetch it wider and bulk up the ears as it looked too narrow. There's also the M-DSB Enforcer which is techinically a Don POst sized helmet (smaller than a 1:1) but the design makes it appear much much larger than it is.

So, this gives folks a decent range to work in... if you are 20-24 inches across the shoulders in and  the 6'00 give or take an inch or two range, you will need a 1:1. If you are over 24" at the shoudlers (like I am) you will have to bulk the ears on the helmet.

I will expand upon this with pix and info and it comes together.

Re: Helmet Sizing V 2.0
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2011, 06:46 PM »
Hrmm, very interesting. I suppose I'll pause work on my Rubies 2 piece until I get my armor plates together to see how the sizing looks with armor on. With just the flight suit on it seems quite large but I'm sure the armor plates add a good bit of bulk.

I have sort of odd proportions though; 6', 180, 24" at the shoulders

Thanks for the writeup :)

« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2011, 07:35 PM »
From what ive seen from the net, Tem is around 5' 7". I also seem to remember the bucket being smaller than a 1:1 size Boba.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2011, 07:56 PM »
What about those of  us with, how can i put this lightly, we're freakishly abnormally shaped heads??  I'm 6'3", and a good 20 and a half stone. With a hat size of 7 3/4.  Found out, while making my WOF template bucket, that it is gonna be a tight fit. Tight as in everbody else in a Mando Com Mando helmet.  It's doable but if anyone bops me in the noodle while I'm wearing it, I'm gonna lose some teeth.  :rolleyes:

« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2011, 08:04 PM »
Im 5ft 9" and 23" across the shoulders. I have a big nut and a Saz 1:1 fits just nice, my nose just touches the visor but that is due to padding for comfort.

One piece Jango,

Two piece Jango,

Mando Commando,

Saz 1:1,

Legacy V1 (altered size),
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2013, 10:54 PM by Kel T Skirata »

« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2011, 08:18 PM »
Ohhh, I'm seeing what you're saying by sizing now. The helmet size in relation to the armor. Not it actually fitting on your brainbox?   :rolleyes:

« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2011, 10:02 PM »
Will be interested in this for sure.

Falin I will get my measurements for you and a pic of me in your Supercommando if you want, to help with the research
“There’s no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.” – The Fourth Doctor

Aliit ori’shya tal’din -"Family is more than blood"

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2011, 10:52 PM »
The Rubies 2 piece mold was apparently made from a Jango movie helmet. So, 1:1 scale for Jango is the Rubies 2 piece and ASOK Jango helmets.

Height will have SOME to play in this but, shoulder width is the important part... shoulder width OUT OF ARMOR.

Antares... 100% gaurantee you will need a 1:1 scale helmet with those measurements.

Gett, you got it! most 1:1's should fit you alright. Like I said, they may vary some from maker to maker but, you should be able to get it on. I'm about 7 1/2 fitted cap and I have tons of room to spare in 1:1's.

« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2011, 11:04 PM »
Wow, did you have to grease up your noggin to get that Jango one piece on?? Looks like the witch doctor from Beetlejuice got a hold of you.
Whereas the ComMando looks pretty big, optical illusion?

Hondo Karr

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2011, 11:17 PM »
Optical illusion on the ComMando. Exteriorly it's Don Post-ish in size... interior is slightly less than a 2 piece Jango but more than a 1 piece Jango.

« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2011, 11:20 PM »
I might be tempted to buy one of those in the future, if for nothing else than to paint and put on a shelf if it doesn't fit. It's such a cool helmet, almost as cool as Saz's Celtic Mando bucket, which I am needling and wheedling the wife into letting me purchase on of those too.

« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2011, 11:22 PM »
The C'mando is a tight fit for me but not too uncomfortable. The one piece is rubber but after sweatin in it, takin it off was like bein born breach LOL I would imagine LOL

« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2011, 11:29 PM »
The Rubies 2 piece mold was apparently made from a Jango movie helmet. So, 1:1 scale for Jango is the Rubies 2 piece and ASOK Jango helmets.

Height will have SOME to play in this but, shoulder width is the important part... shoulder width OUT OF ARMOR.

Antares... 100% gaurantee you will need a 1:1 scale helmet with those measurements.

Gett, you got it! most 1:1's should fit you alright. Like I said, they may vary some from maker to maker but, you should be able to get it on. I'm about 7 1/2 fitted cap and I have tons of room to spare in 1:1's.

Hrmm I'll take your word for it. I got it for around 30 bucks and all the accoutrements I purchased to modify it (paint, bondo, etc.) all can be and have been used for the rest of the armor so no great loss there. I suppose it will at least be good for practicing weathering techniques and getting the patterns down perfect for a better-suited helmet in the future.

Speaking of which...heyyy olllddd buddy just let me know if you need to come on up there to Yucca and model one of those snazzy Phoenix helmets for ya when you get that project wrapped up ;p

Hondo Karr

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2011, 11:44 PM »
LOL!

Well, it's not a complete loss... the HBF is a 1:1 scale helmet. You should be able to turn around and sell that 2 piece for what you paid and use teh money to get an HBF. Then use teh supplies to do the mods. Or, see if there is someone who wants to trade straight up. I know Ive seen at least 2 people that I have commented on fairly recently that were using HBF's that were monsterous on them.

« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2011, 05:30 PM »
Well I snapped a pic with the helmet on. Couldnt see crap because I painted over the junk stock visor so this is the best shot I got :P

Are you sure this is too small? Looks like a pretty decent size

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!