Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Helmet Sizing V 2.0

• 100 Replies

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Helmet Sizing V 2.0
« on: Nov 05, 2011, 11:05 AM »
Hey guys, some time ago, Saz and I started talking about a new method to size helmets... helmet base to helmet width ratio. Saz was able to speak with Jeremy Bulloch, who is an Official Member of Saz' clan, and learned the following...

Jeremy has gotten back to me regarding his height and shoulder size, so this is the perfect size for a 1:1

5'11" with 21 inches Shoulder to shoulder.

Remo is 6ft2 with 22 inches, he looked ok with a 2 piece, but the 1:1 looked much better.

So would it be wise to set the differece to 20-21 inches at the shoulder and 5ft 10?

Obviously we have alot of research to do on this still. I don't know if we'll be able to acquire it but, I'd love to get the stats for Tem Morrison as well. And I want to get it from a few more members as well so we can set up a good scale.

There will obviously be a bit of fluctuation as sizes get smaller and larger on people but, for Jeremy, the archtype for proper proportionate fit, the ratio is 2:1 (2 being the shoulder width and 1 being the helmet width). A 1:1 helmet will vary slightly from one maker to the next but, they are approximately 10-11" wide. There are of course variable like the M-DSB Assassin which is one of the widest 1:1 helmets out there but, the sleek design of the helmet gives it a narrowing effect. When I had one I had to heat and stetch it wider and bulk up the ears as it looked too narrow. There's also the M-DSB Enforcer which is techinically a Don POst sized helmet (smaller than a 1:1) but the design makes it appear much much larger than it is.

So, this gives folks a decent range to work in... if you are 20-24 inches across the shoulders in and  the 6'00 give or take an inch or two range, you will need a 1:1. If you are over 24" at the shoudlers (like I am) you will have to bulk the ears on the helmet.

I will expand upon this with pix and info and it comes together.

Re: Helmet Sizing V 2.0
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2011, 06:46 PM »
Hrmm, very interesting. I suppose I'll pause work on my Rubies 2 piece until I get my armor plates together to see how the sizing looks with armor on. With just the flight suit on it seems quite large but I'm sure the armor plates add a good bit of bulk.

I have sort of odd proportions though; 6', 180, 24" at the shoulders

Thanks for the writeup :)

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2011, 07:35 PM »
From what ive seen from the net, Tem is around 5' 7". I also seem to remember the bucket being smaller than a 1:1 size Boba.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2011, 07:56 PM »
What about those of  us with, how can i put this lightly, we're freakishly abnormally shaped heads??  I'm 6'3", and a good 20 and a half stone. With a hat size of 7 3/4.  Found out, while making my WOF template bucket, that it is gonna be a tight fit. Tight as in everbody else in a Mando Com Mando helmet.  It's doable but if anyone bops me in the noodle while I'm wearing it, I'm gonna lose some teeth.  :rolleyes:

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2011, 08:04 PM »
Im 5ft 9" and 23" across the shoulders. I have a big nut and a Saz 1:1 fits just nice, my nose just touches the visor but that is due to padding for comfort.

One piece Jango,

Two piece Jango,

Mando Commando,

Saz 1:1,

Legacy V1 (altered size),

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2013, 10:54 PM by Kel T Skirata » Logged
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2011, 08:18 PM »
Ohhh, I'm seeing what you're saying by sizing now. The helmet size in relation to the armor. Not it actually fitting on your brainbox?   :rolleyes:

« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2011, 10:02 PM »
Will be interested in this for sure.

Falin I will get my measurements for you and a pic of me in your Supercommando if you want, to help with the research

“There’s no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.” – The Fourth Doctor

Aliit ori’shya tal’din -"Family is more than blood"
This is the Way

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2011, 10:52 PM »
The Rubies 2 piece mold was apparently made from a Jango movie helmet. So, 1:1 scale for Jango is the Rubies 2 piece and ASOK Jango helmets.

Height will have SOME to play in this but, shoulder width is the important part... shoulder width OUT OF ARMOR.

Antares... 100% gaurantee you will need a 1:1 scale helmet with those measurements.

Gett, you got it! most 1:1's should fit you alright. Like I said, they may vary some from maker to maker but, you should be able to get it on. I'm about 7 1/2 fitted cap and I have tons of room to spare in 1:1's.

« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2011, 11:04 PM »
Wow, did you have to grease up your noggin to get that Jango one piece on?? Looks like the witch doctor from Beetlejuice got a hold of you.
Whereas the ComMando looks pretty big, optical illusion?

Hondo Karr

« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2011, 11:17 PM »
Optical illusion on the ComMando. Exteriorly it's Don Post-ish in size... interior is slightly less than a 2 piece Jango but more than a 1 piece Jango.

« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2011, 11:20 PM »
I might be tempted to buy one of those in the future, if for nothing else than to paint and put on a shelf if it doesn't fit. It's such a cool helmet, almost as cool as Saz's Celtic Mando bucket, which I am needling and wheedling the wife into letting me purchase on of those too.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2011, 11:22 PM »
The C'mando is a tight fit for me but not too uncomfortable. The one piece is rubber but after sweatin in it, takin it off was like bein born breach LOL I would imagine LOL

« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2011, 11:29 PM »
The Rubies 2 piece mold was apparently made from a Jango movie helmet. So, 1:1 scale for Jango is the Rubies 2 piece and ASOK Jango helmets.

Height will have SOME to play in this but, shoulder width is the important part... shoulder width OUT OF ARMOR.

Antares... 100% gaurantee you will need a 1:1 scale helmet with those measurements.

Gett, you got it! most 1:1's should fit you alright. Like I said, they may vary some from maker to maker but, you should be able to get it on. I'm about 7 1/2 fitted cap and I have tons of room to spare in 1:1's.

Hrmm I'll take your word for it. I got it for around 30 bucks and all the accoutrements I purchased to modify it (paint, bondo, etc.) all can be and have been used for the rest of the armor so no great loss there. I suppose it will at least be good for practicing weathering techniques and getting the patterns down perfect for a better-suited helmet in the future.

Speaking of which...heyyy olllddd buddy just let me know if you need to come on up there to Yucca and model one of those snazzy Phoenix helmets for ya when you get that project wrapped up ;p

Hondo Karr

« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2011, 11:44 PM »
LOL!

Well, it's not a complete loss... the HBF is a 1:1 scale helmet. You should be able to turn around and sell that 2 piece for what you paid and use teh money to get an HBF. Then use teh supplies to do the mods. Or, see if there is someone who wants to trade straight up. I know Ive seen at least 2 people that I have commented on fairly recently that were using HBF's that were monsterous on them.

« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2011, 05:30 PM »
Well I snapped a pic with the helmet on. Couldnt see crap because I painted over the junk stock visor so this is the best shot I got :P

Are you sure this is too small? Looks like a pretty decent size

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2011, 05:33 PM »
Remember, your armor will add to your body size by at least 1/2. If the bucket looks ok with you in a t-shirt, it will most likely be too small in armor. If you don't have a vest and plates ready, put on a really heavy coat and double check the scale.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Hondo Karr

« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2011, 06:10 PM »
If you were armored as you look in that photo, it would be on the small side. Approvable, probably but, we'd have to see the sides, back etc. As Jarek said, the armor will add size to you!

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 07, 2011, 06:27 PM »
Well I snapped a pic with the helmet on. Couldnt see crap because I painted over the junk stock visor so this is the best shot I got :P

Are you sure this is too small? Looks like a pretty decent size

Its a funny angle tbh, you really need to get the armour on and some straight facing pics. Taken by someone else :) It might possibly look smaller face on.

« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2011, 06:38 PM »
So with my 25" shoulders, I should be looking to "bulk" up my helmet to about what measurement, roughly?   
Should have told yah I'm a big corn-fed Iowegian Boy.

Saz

• Hodor'alor
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #19 on: Nov 09, 2011, 04:31 AM »
I'd say that bulking ears should be an end of kit building measure as bodytype also plays a huge factor, if you are of muscular build or overweight then it will be likely that your helmet might need bulking and you definitely need to look at 1:1 regardless.

I would suggest that if you are 21 inches or over shoulder to shoulder then you should be looking at the 1:1 as the best fit, however, as Kel has demonstrated, the 2 pc doesn't look too bad in the 22 -23 inch range.

Once you have your helmet sorted, then worry about bulking, but the basic rule is the helmet width should be around half your shoulder to shoulder width. If you follow the basic rule then you can bulk further if it looks like you need it in your WIP, we're not trying to answer all the questions, just give you a little bit more information on which helmet type you should go for, so you can make an informed decision.

Helmet builder and custom Maker, PM me for details or click here.

ITYS Counter now at 177.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2011, 06:09 AM »
Kel fits the same scale as me.  Right between perfect sizing for the 2 piece and the 1:1.  I know my 2 piece looks a little bit small on me, and my 1:1 looks a little bit big on me.

I'm 6'1, 180lbs, built slender (or lanky), with 17" shoulder width... Long and narrow kind of shape (my wife says that "long" is the best one-word description).  The 2 piece is the best (though not perfect) proportional sized bucket that I've gotten to try on.  Ideally I need something as tall as a 1:1, but with the width of a 1 piece, and the length front to back of a 2 piece...  The 2 piece is the best compromise.

Hondo Karr

« Reply #21 on: Nov 09, 2011, 09:35 AM »
Sounds like a Don Post 95-96 would be perfect for you.

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #22 on: Nov 09, 2011, 12:02 PM »
Sounds like a Don Post 95-96 would be perfect for you.

Too bad no one makes a readily available, afforadble casting in that size,,,,,,, ;)

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Hondo Karr

« Reply #23 on: Nov 09, 2011, 12:19 PM »
Yeah... Im not interested. There's a need/want for them but, not enough (to me) to justify a mold. I am selling one right now though lol.

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #24 on: Nov 09, 2011, 12:59 PM »
Ideally, everyone would have a custom made helmet, perfect for their body size and shape ;) Says me with a DSB Merc :D

The ratio information is brilliant, Falin. While it's visually OK to go a little over or under, it helps give people a good ballpark figure.

Something to consider is adding how exactly to measure the width of your shoulders - from which point to which point? EG dressmaking shoulder measurements are on the top, the overall width of the shoulder is much wider than that would convey.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!