Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Helmet Sizing V 2.0

• 100 Replies
Re: Helmet Sizing V 2.0
« Reply #25 on: Nov 09, 2011, 02:58 PM »
Thanks alls my questions were answered, just needed a ballpark to play in   ;D

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #26 on: Nov 10, 2011, 01:23 PM »
Just to show the difference in the 2pc and 1:1, here is a couple of pics. As Falin said, i'm 6ft2", but my frame can just pull off a 2pc.

This is the 2pc. Not a straight on pic, sorry about that, But you get a good grasp of how it fits on me.

This is the 1:1, You can tell the difference, a much better fit and more in proportion.

« Reply #27 on: Nov 18, 2011, 12:18 PM »
Since I will likely be scratchbuilding my helmet, I'll post up the sizing I end up using as well. I am 5' 5", 180 lb and an 18" shoulder width. So sizing will be fun with the general templates.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #28 on: Nov 18, 2011, 01:32 PM »
You may have to find them in pep files but, you'll probably be needing the 1:1 scale JANGO helmet size. I don't believe there is WOF templates but, Im sure there are pep's somewhere. That said, you could always get a 2 piece Jango Rubies helmet and bring it up to specs. End of the day, it's not much more in cost than scratchbuilding and will save alot of time.

Mirdala

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #29 on: Nov 20, 2011, 01:19 AM »
This is a sizing check for Crystal from Ge'tal Vheh Squad. Mine is an ASOK Jango 1:1.

XD

Sorry about the fuzziness, the picture looked better on the phone. *sigh*.

I hope you can still kind of gauge the size though.

OM // 2011-Present
Art Team // 2015-2018
PR Team // 2016-2018
Ruus'alor // 2012
Ver'alor // 2012, 2016-2017
Alor'ad // 2012-2014
Archive Team // 2014-2018
Tech Team // 2017-2018
« Reply #30 on: Nov 26, 2011, 12:19 AM »
Anyone know of any helmet comparisons floating around between S/M and L/XL Assassin helmets and other helmets. How does the S/M stack up compared to a 1:1? Could I get away with a S/M with my frame? I'm just worried about looking like a bobblehead  :P

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #31 on: Nov 26, 2011, 01:35 AM »
Hey Antares... the S/M is basically the same helmet cut down I believe it was an inch and 1/2 or so (DSB told me sometime ago when I inquired). There is no difference in all measurements besides height. So, if it's a head length issue, the S/M may not work. My son wears one. Is someone selling one?

« Reply #32 on: Nov 26, 2011, 01:49 AM »
Hmm, I see, thanks. Also, not that I know of, was just using it as a reference point

Hondo Karr

« Reply #33 on: Nov 26, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Ah, gotcha! Are you heading out to Nuke the Fridge Con and Frank and Son's on Decemeber 10th? We could always use a friendly face and handler plus it would be nice to meet and it's a great place to christmas shop  8). Anyway, if you do, between us and the LA clan we should have a variety of helmet sizes and types you could try out.

« Reply #34 on: Nov 26, 2011, 08:41 PM »
I would certainly like to... that's on a Saturday though hmm. I'll have to see if I can shuffle my schedule around a bit and swap shifts with a coworker. I cant believe it's almost December already...

« Reply #35 on: Dec 02, 2011, 02:18 AM »
A helmet is the one thing I will not buy online. Heads differ, some skulls are longer than others front to back, while others are more nearly round. So two helmets of the same size but from different ranges, even from the same manufacturer, will fit different people. There is simply no alternative to going in to a store and trying on different helmets. All your buddies might be wearing Arais, but if you put on a Shoei and it immediately feels right, buy it! Or vice versa of course. You will be spending many long hours in that thing and good fit and comfort are the prime consideration.

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #36 on: Dec 02, 2011, 02:37 AM »
...you're aware we're discussing COSTUMING helmets, not motorbike helmets yes? And fit wise we're more on about whether or not it fits your body size and shape than your head? And that we then add our own padding to make it fit our heads?

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #37 on: Dec 02, 2011, 03:20 AM »
I didnt get that either Point ! Maybe there is a Mando store somewhere we dont know about LOL kiddin, kiddin  ;) If it looks good in proportion to your size its all good. Sometimes yer nose will be squashed etc but big deal  ;D

« Reply #38 on: Dec 02, 2011, 08:46 AM »
I have a Gypsyboy BF bucket. My nose gets squished and I hate it cuz it hurts. My nose is kinda pointy and...well, Native American and European *coughs*scotish*coughs* lol I have to agree though that helmets are definitely one size does NOT fit all. Heck, even the key holes on the back are pressed to the nape of my neck. I know it's kinda off topic, but when considering a helmet...give it more consideration and study than I did. I grabbed a bucket by a seller that makes bucket runs maybe once a year or if that.

Here's an idea. Now, don't laugh. Go and find the member's photo thread where we post pics of us without helmets on. Look at the shape, size, etc of faces and skulls and if you see any that are similar to yours, find their profiles, hunt down their pics and look at their buckets. And if it's possible, send them a pm regarding the helmet.

Not a bad idea at nearly 6am PT and running on a day's sleep in 4 days, huh? lol Hmm... Now...who's bucket do I need next to avoid getting squished between nose and neck? *ponders, mumbling quietly to self then suddenly remembers to hit the POST button*

Aden Catra - The Rage of the Night Sky

Whoey

« Reply #39 on: Jan 06, 2012, 01:33 PM »
I still think actual measurements would help LOADS in helmet sizing...

Until I got my first helmet, I had nothing to really compare to and since I'm now the proud owner of a Don Post 95 I can sort of guess according to the other helmet guide which other bucket would be better for me. I'm leaning towards a Saz 1:1...

The advantage of a larger bucket may have other benefits like breathing space, and more room for padding/helmet liner etc. Aside from aesthetic and scaling qualities...

« Reply #40 on: Jan 07, 2012, 09:25 AM »
Has anyone got any advice for helmet sizing for really big guys? I'm 6'5", broad and have a big bonce (thankfully not much nose though.) I'm genuinely concerned about a 1:1 not fitting at all, let alone looking in proportion. Am I going to have to look at a custom build, or will I be all right with something off the shelf and just using less padding than most?

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 07, 2012, 11:21 AM »
Remo jadd is around your size and build, he also wears a 1:1 size and did at one point wear a jango 2-piece. So i think you would be ok ;)

Hondo Karr

« Reply #42 on: Jan 07, 2012, 12:10 PM »
Remo's not that big... he's close to my size...

I'm 6'06", 280lbs and 30" across the shoulders without costume armor on.

I have always fit into 1:1 helmets though they tend look look a tad narrow on. So, in the past, I always bulked up the earcaps to add a bit of width to the helmet.

When I started making helmets I made them with my "problems" in mind. My 2 Legacy helmets, my Open Seasons Deathwatch and my Phoenix are all big helmets for big guys. Those that typically wear 1:1's can wear them (in fact the Legacy helmets can be trimmed down to Jango 1:1 size) can still wear them but, they look good on big boys.

« Reply #43 on: Jan 07, 2012, 03:30 PM »
That's really good to know, thanks.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 07, 2012, 03:33 PM »
I know Remo is a good bit over 6ft, No got a big loaf though. LOL Ma big mate :D

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #45 on: Jan 08, 2012, 02:18 PM »
LOL, Yeah, I'm not quite that big. I'm 6'2" and 24" accross the shoulders, which is why i could get away with the 2pc. I don't know what make my 1:1 actually is, it's one i got in a trade because i needed a helmet with plenty of room inside. Because after trying various Bobamaker buckets, which are superbly made, i struggled to get them on without my glasses. The helmet i use i can get on with my glasses, which was a big help. Since those days however, Saz came along. I've tried a couple of his helmets, and again, i can just get them on with my glasses. There are other makes out there which i haven't tried, so i can't comment on them.  So yes BigJonno, Take Falins advice. If anyone can put you right on helmets, He can  ;) .

Saz

• Hodor'alor
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #46 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:32 AM »
Ok,

To sum up on what we have learned so far regarding this theory.

1. This theory came from measuring Jeremy Bulloch and other members of the club to get a certain tolerance.
2. This gave us the perfect ratio for shoulder to helmet size which is the helmet width should be half of the shoulder to shoulder width out of armour.
3. That means that, once you don your armour, your helmet will be slightly smaller than half the width of your shoulder.
4. The tolerance given is for people who are on the cusp of and it will depend on your body frame, muscular or large people should lean towards the 1:1 if it comes down to a choice.
5. In some cases it will be the difference in looking alright and looking great (see Kel T. Skirata example on page 1)
6. Head size should only be a factor if you can't fit your head into the bucket, or you have needs, such as glasses.
7. We set the tolerance zone of 20 - 21 inches shoulder width and 5ft 10 as the minimum level where you would be best buying a 1:1, but there is a Goldilocks zone where you can get away with wearing both J2P and 1:1, it is recommended that, dependent on your body frame (see note 4.), it may be a case of waiting until your vest and plates are finished first and then make a decision based on the final look.

Helmet builder and custom Maker, PM me for details or click here.

ITYS Counter now at 177.

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #47 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:26 AM »
that is very helpful

looks like I'm up for another scratchbuild or something...
but hopefully this time, I won't have to "press-fit" my helmat
But what about using the golden ratio somewere in threre? (1 + square-root5 over 2)

1+[square root]5

« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2012, 06:29 AM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged
Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Morut Naast

• Oya Krayt!!
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #48 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:21 PM »
So, my shoulder width is 18". I'm 6', 180 lbs. Could I get away with a 1:1, or should I try a J2P?

Hondo Karr

« Reply #49 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:43 PM »
While not a 100% science, I would say a 1:1 Jango Fett scale or Don Post 95/96 size would probably be best for you.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!