Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Alea Iacta's Vest

• 4 Replies
Alea Iacta's Vest
« on: Nov 12, 2011, 12:16 PM »
For my Alea Iacta armor, I knew I wanted a very fitted vest. I had to be able to put it on and take it off by myself, while it had all the armor attached. Challenge accepted.

I started w/Simplicity patter 5098 http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/3318 I'm making a hybrid of view C (which is for stretch fabrics) and view D (which is for non-stretch fabrics) Obviously, for the vest, I wanted non-stretch fabric. I'm using a faux suede.

I used the back of view C, but added the darts as seen in view D. For the front, I overlapped patterns C and D.
The key is to line up the lines indicating the waist and line up the "armpit" point.

Cut 1 back, 1 front and 4 of the raglan sleeves. Each sleeve is 2 layers thick so that you can't see the "wrong" side of the fabric. The right sleeve is attached to the front and back of the vest per the pattern instructions. The left sleeve is attached only to the back of the vest. At the front, I used magnetic clasps (snaps or even velcro would work too)

The right side of the vest is sewn shut, the left side features a zipper

I'm currently remaking it due to some issues with the positions of the darts and the armor attachments. But this little setback seemed like a good opportunity to document the process used to make the vest. I'll try to snap some more pics as I'm sewing.

Re: Alea Iacta's Vest
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2011, 02:37 PM »
Looking good, I have no sewing ability at all so I always enjoy seeing how others make their soft parts

“There’s no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.” – The Fourth Doctor

Aliit ori’shya tal’din -"Family is more than blood"
This is the Way

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2011, 10:40 PM »
I had to be able to put it on and take it off by myself, while it had all the armor attached.

I pretty much had the exact same thing in mind when I made my vest. I did a zipper up the side too. Nice work! :)

Not to thread hijack, but do zippers need to be hidden or covered to be CRL approved?

« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2011, 10:49 PM »
I believe they do. Aside from that, excellent work Alea. My wife is starting to get wierd about some of the "talents" I've been unveiling in the past couple months. To borrow a line, "Not trying to thread jack", but I get kinda wordy. I've recently revealed that I can work bondo , do macrame, knit, do paracord knot patterns, and heck, going to pick up a sewing machine soon, and show her a couple more things I  can do...

« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2011, 11:45 AM »
Yes, zippers need to be covered. When it's fully zipped, the fabric of the vest does cover the zipper itself. The new fabric is slightly lighter than what's shown here and matches the zipper better as well. That should be hidden enough. Or I'll just never raise my left arm. LOL

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!