Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Beviin's Jetpack (SWTOR inspired)

• 16 Replies

Beviin Kal

• Reach out and touch someone...
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Beviin's Jetpack (SWTOR inspired)
« on: Jan 02, 2012, 04:15 PM »
Hey all!  So, I decided to take a crack at making my very own jetpack!  I'm surprisingly almost done with the construction part.  I still have a little more gluing to do but then it's just sanding and painting.  I have basically just used a 5 gallon bucket, two oil funnels, a large drain filter and 2 small drain filters.  I got the concept from one of the jetpacks I saw in Star Wars The Old Republic.  It's more cylindrical and larger than the standard Boba/Jango pack.  Let me know what you think.  You can see the basic design from the pics, so just imagine it with a nice paint job and a little more leveling on the side thrusters.

I am flattening the piece of the bucket that I cut off and I'll be re-attaching it where the empty space is now.  That is the part that will rest against my back plate.

"Six men came to kill me one time. And the best of 'em carried this. It's a Callahan full-bore auto-lock. Customized trigger, double cartridge thorough gauge. It is my very favorite gun."

Apollo Falco

• Lone Mando from HVM
Re: Beviin's Jetpack (SWTOR inspired)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2012, 04:54 PM »
My biggest worry is that it will stick out too far, but cutting that portion off the back will definitely help with that.

Aesthetically, you should make sure that it doesn't look like a 5 gallon bucket with two oil funnels and three drain filters attached. Paint will help a lot with that, but so would doing something to fill in the space between the two ridges near the bottom of the pack/top of the bucket. Bondo would work, so would greeblies. I, personally, am a big fan of knobs and switches so I would also add a control plate to the back to break up all that smooth space.

I really like how the drain filters look, though. The whole thing reminds me of the actual OT costumes and all the found parts that they used. It looks like something out of Mos Eisley

That's what I'm talking about. It's a power generator, in the middle of a tree. Strange

Beviin Kal

« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:06 PM »
Thanks for the input!  Yeah, I want to make those ridges look like some sort of fins or something like that.  I'm not sure what to do with that.  I am planning on adding in some lights and maybe some dials so perhaps I can focus those around the ridges.  The pack is actually upside down in the picture so the top of the bucket will be the top of the pack.  I think painting will help a lot with the look but I'm always open to suggestions on who to make it look less bucket-ish. :)

"Six men came to kill me one time. And the best of 'em carried this. It's a Callahan full-bore auto-lock. Customized trigger, double cartridge thorough gauge. It is my very favorite gun."

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2012, 12:10 AM »
I dig the idea, But I honestly think it might be too simple. That stuff is very easily recognizable.
Would greebs help? Yeah. But I don't that it'll be enough. I think you should use a different base. The 5 gallon bucket is just too dead of a give-away. But good luck to you, my friend. I'm anxious to see the outcome.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Beviin Kal

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2012, 02:15 PM »
Thanks for the input, I'm working on making it look less and less like a bucket for the base.  I think it will be much better with paint and detail on it.  I've seen a lot of pre-paint props that looked exactly like the items they were made from before the paint.  I've got my fingers crossed that will be the same case here. :)

Beviin Kal

« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2012, 02:16 PM »
Here is an update on the jetpack.  I still have a little more trimming and gluing to do before I start painting, but this is pretty much what it is going to look like, design wise.

Front without thrusters:

Back without thrusters:

Front standing up without thrusters:

Front standing up with thrusters:

Beviin Kal

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2012, 02:40 PM »
Here are some of the TOR jetpacks that gave me the concept for my jetpack:

Apollo Falco

• Lone Mando from HVM
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:13 PM »
I see where you're getting your inspiration, but it still looks too much like a 5 gallon bucket. It's the ridges and the lid that do it. You need to find a way to make those design features unrecognizable, or just get rid of them

That's what I'm talking about. It's a power generator, in the middle of a tree. Strange

Beviin Kal

« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:18 PM »
Yeah, I'm thinking of maybe using some rubber foam or some tubing to fill in the ridge areas.  I'm also thinking about just trimming them off with an exacto knife.  I'm leaning more towards trimming it off, though I will probably leave the ridges immediately around the two valves on the back.  Perhaps if I tapered the ridges down immediately after those valves and then removed them from the rest of it...

Klynn Targh

• Fan favorite Wampa
  • Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2012, 11:38 PM »
I like the asymmetrical pipe and the flat top.

Aliit orishya taldin.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2012, 11:43 PM »
Add some vertical heat fins onto the bare section of the bucket as well as some raised rectangular box sections (Think Fett jetpack).

That should help disguise the shape of the bucket more.

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

Does your signature look cut off? Here's why!

Beviin Kal

« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2012, 12:50 AM »
I want to stay away from the rectangular look on this pack as I'm trying to stay as close to the TOR idea as possible.  I have, however, added on the back piece and added a vent plate below the back thrusters.  I've also trimmed down the ridges at the top so that they are only around the thrusters on the back and then taper down.  Pics to come soon.

Beviin Kal

« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2012, 01:33 AM »
Here is my Mk-1 pack before painting.  I already have some ideas to make a smaller version of this with a thinner, rectangular base, but I'm pretty happy with this one.  With some paint and detailing work it will look really good I think!

« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2012, 04:09 AM »
Try adding some round stick on vents that you can purchase at an out parts store. Place diagonal from silver plate. One on each side.  Then I noticed the pack you drew inspiration from seems do have an outer housing as well. Try adding an outer housing.

Rules to live by
1. Do what ever it takes to get the jog done!
2. It's better to ask for forgiveness then for permission!
3. when all else fails use explosives!
4. Intelligence, quick thinking and the ability to react are your best weapons.

Beviin Kal

« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2012, 12:10 PM »
Update on the Mk1 Jetpack!  It's almost finished, just have to add a stripe of yellow the the side thrusters and it's done!  Let me know what you think. :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!