Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

I know this has been beaten to death, but...

• 15 Replies

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
I know this has been beaten to death, but...
« on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Ejectable blades.  What if I said I had a concept for a blade (plastic, or some harmless material, of course) that could be ejected, but is totally user controlled and not spring loaded?  It would be using magnets, and would be fully secured, in either the out, or inside position.  Would this still be unapprovable?  I'm trying to get a prototype built, but I want to test the water with people's reactions.  I can try to draw up a diagram if anyone wants a further explanation.

Basically, could this be potentially approve-able?  I don't want to, you know, waste effort, if the idea will get denied.

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: I know this has been beaten to death, but...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:29 PM »
I think your problem resides in the term 'ejectable'. This denotes a mechanical activation, which would render the idea unapproveable. If you are referring to a device that requires hand opperation throughout the action to extend the blade, then you should be safe.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:17 AM »
It would basically involving moving my hand/forearm in a way that causes a metal piece attached to the end of the blade (the end that always stays in the housing) to lost its grip on one magnet, slide down a track, and stop, attaching to the other magnet on the other side.  I really just wasn't sure what to call it, other than ejectable, but it doesn't use a mechanical means to come out.  It uses... I'm not sure what you would call it.  But there is no "mechanism" other than my arm.

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:25 AM »
I think the problem with that would be that you could still harm someone, even though there is no mechanical action, you still have to move your arm quickly to get the plate to release from the magnet. If someone was to walk up behind you and get hit by it.... well you see where that could go.  The word you are thinking of is momentum, where you would flick your arm down and the blade would come out. It is a great idea, just no way to be con safe, that I can see. Your best bet is to stick with the rules about it either being fixed in one position or only movable by a lever or other hand controlled option.

This is just my unofficial two cents on it.

« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2012, 12:28 AM by Zolar Kresh » Logged
“There’s no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.” – The Fourth Doctor

Aliit ori’shya tal’din -"Family is more than blood"
This is the Way

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:27 AM »
See, that's why I figured I'd ask.  I could be inclined to agree with that, but at the same time, thought I had a pretty cool idea and wanted to see if it was approvable.

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2012, 06:38 AM »
Yeah, sounds like a 'gravity blade', something similar (in concept, not actual action) to a balisong, or butterfly. Using gravity or centrifical force to open the blade. The magnet idea certainly has merit, just create more friction on the blade to prevent accidental opening, and add a slide knob.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:02 AM »
I'm afraid it won't pass, It's a Codex issue which can result in you being banned from the club. Make sure you read the rules and regulations. Even with magnets it's going to have a pull of velocity similar to that of a spring. Any part of your costume that you want to use retractable or ejectable objects must be perfomed physicaly by hand.  ;)

Kav'an Hatfield

• Old Man from Naast
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:20 AM »
So all in all, just have the blades attached to the gaunt and be done with it.   :rolleyes:  Otherwise you'll be walking around all the time moving your arm and then putting it back into place. 

Owner of Last Minute Gimmicks. Maker of Latex Masks.

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:13 AM »
I'm afraid it won't pass, It's a Codex issue which can result in you being banned from the club. Make sure you read the rules and regulations. Even with magnets it's going to have a pull of velocity similar to that of a spring. Any part of your costume that you want to use retractable or ejectable objects must be perfomed physicaly by hand.  ;)

Okay, cool.  That's what I suspected, but I figured it was safer to ask, and get told "no" than to do it and get banned.  Glad someone on the approval team weighed in.  I may just build one for osiks and giggles... but I won't be putting it on my Mando kit.  Feel free to lock the topic.  I appreciate everyone's input!  I just wanted to check if that was approveable, and tell about a cool idea I had!  Thanks everyone!   ;D

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked. See Signature.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2012, 03:50 PM »
its a very good ideal even if its not legal.
Heres what you would be best to use for the blade if you ever build one just because. Training knife. training knifes can not hurt anyone. Hard rubber. looks and feels like a knife but is not a knife. I have never seen a con that said they were not con safe.

On the movement of the blade. It would be harmless. There is no way for it to hurt anyone if you use a fake item. Even with the blade out, the second it hits anything it would slip back down the tracks. kind of like a Hollywood knife. You stab and the blade gos inside the handle.

I know its been voted. But i think it is a good ideal and i can tell you it would be safer than a fixed blade. even one that you lock in by hand. the blade never locks. so there is never anything to hurt any one on. dont trash the ideal. keep it for another build

Viciousvestments (Cecil Anthony Fuson) has had his membership revoked due to "Undisclosed Criminal History" (MMCC Bylaws:  Section 2, Major Offenses, Paragraph 8. ).  If you have outstanding sales issues with him that warrant legal action, it is suggested that you consult with local law enforcement agencies.

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2012, 03:56 PM »
its a very good ideal even if its not legal.
Heres what you would be best to use for the blade if you ever build one just because. Training knife. training knifes can not hurt anyone. Hard rubber. looks and feels like a knife but is not a knife. I have never seen a con that said they were not con safe.

On the movement of the blade. It would be harmless. There is no way for it to hurt anyone if you use a fake item. Even with the blade out, the second it hits anything it would slip back down the tracks. kind of like a Hollywood knife. You stab and the blade gos inside the handle.

I know its been voted. But i think it is a good ideal and i can tell you it would be safer than a fixed blade. even one that you lock in by hand. the blade never locks. so there is never anything to hurt any one on. dont trash the ideal. keep it for another build

I believe in an earlier post I said I might end up building one for -censored- and giggles.  :P  The idea is still very much in my mind.  If I get some materials, I may go ahead and try it.  I agree that it isn't "Fixed" because it's using magnets, however, if the approval team says no, I'm going to drop it from my Mando kit.   :D  I appreciate the positive feedback on the idea, vod!

Dar'manda

« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2012, 04:53 PM »
ya. Dont use it for the mando kit but use it. Good ideals should be kept

Viciousvestments (Cecil Anthony Fuson) has had his membership revoked due to "Undisclosed Criminal History" (MMCC Bylaws:  Section 2, Major Offenses, Paragraph 8. ).  If you have outstanding sales issues with him that warrant legal action, it is suggested that you consult with local law enforcement agencies.

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Sistine Chest Plate - Official Member with most intricate paint job Open Seasons Death Watch Brigade MEmber Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2012, 06:43 PM »
Alternately, make a version of it for your Mando kit that's only to be shown off to your Mando buddies.  We go ga-ga over cool features  ;D  Wear it for any video footage you ever want to take of yourself (outside of public events of course) and hell, build it just to say you did.  It sounds like a neat feature.

Of course, all this comes with the caveat that you have a second set of gauntlets that are safe and will be worn to EVERY official Merc event.  But I'm only the fifth person to say that, lol, so I hope you've gotten the hint by now.

-Abby Lusk (MMCC Official Member #81)
Quartermaster for the MMCC 2009-May 2013

Jerek Darr

« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:35 PM »
Or make it modular, so it can be easily removed.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Dar'manda

« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2012, 02:28 PM »
There ya go. Use like a flamethrower houseing with magnets so you can put it on for show and remove it for events.

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:54 AM »
Or make it modular, so it can be easily removed.

OOOOOOOOHHHHH!!!!!  To quote Dr. Seuss... "And then he got an idea.  A wonderful, awful idea."

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!