Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

TK3181's DW Jetpack build

• 39 Replies

tk3181

• Awards TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
TK3181's DW Jetpack build
« on: Jan 14, 2012, 12:39 AM »
And now, on to the hard part...

I have started the prep work for my Season 2 DW Jetpack. I began by importing in a few screen shots from the Mandalorian Plot episodes into AutoCAD. Then, I brought in a sketch of Jango's Arena pack and rescaled and re-detailed the pack to match the proportions of the actual animated one. After this was complete, I scaled it to the width of my backplate. I will build a cardboard mockup first to just work out any quirks that might come up. Then, it's on to MDF and the Vacuum Former. Here are a couple of pics of my progress:

The plans:

The beginnings of the cardboard mockup:

I hope I can knock out the basic mold this weekend.

More to come!

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2012, 01:12 AM by tk3181 » Logged
Brandon L.

Patrikar Dala

• Forever alone....watching you....
Re: TK3181's DW Jetpack build
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2012, 10:29 PM »
Way to go vod! Hopefully you will be ready to come to CVI!

Armor: 100%
Soft parts: 100%
Weapons: 100%
Complete Mondoness!: 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hagen Nor'ak

• More then credits
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2012, 09:52 AM »
So just out of curiosity (for if/WHEN :P these become avalible), what is the width of your backplate? Also whats the lenght of the main body (minus thrusters and rocket) looking like it will be?

Have a good one,
Hagen

tk3181

• Awards TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2012, 06:22 PM »
So just out of curiosity (for if/WHEN :P these become avalible), what is the width of your backplate? Also whats the lenght of the main body (minus thrusters and rocket) looking like it will be?

Have a good one,
Hagen

My back plate is just around 15" wide. The JP body is about 16-1/2" from the top point of the plate to the bottom. (Not including thrusters or rocket.)

Brandon L.

tk3181

« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:45 PM »
I don't have any more pics yet, but the wooden jetpack assembly has begun and the rocket is currently being turned out on the lathe.

Brandon L.

Patrikar Dala

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2012, 10:57 PM »
Sweet! hope it's workin' well!

Calo Ordoa

« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2012, 11:46 PM »
I just know this is gonna be good, TK.  ;D

Bayani

• CC-4764
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2012, 12:54 AM »
Thats awesome Brandon!  Do you have an estimated date when you will be offering all your DW pieces?

tk3181

« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2012, 08:10 AM »
I am shooting for Mid February to start the initial run. But, if people want pieces now, I may be able to squeeze a few in as I pull my remaining parts. At the moment I am trying to get my personal suit ready for VisionCon February 17-19.

(I wouldn't expect anyone to wear this armor if I wasn't willing to, right?  ;) )

Brandon L.

Patrikar Dala

« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:29 AM »
How much will these pieces be?

tk3181

« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:21 PM »
Pricing for full sets are still in a fluid state as I am refining my process in order to make it viable from a production standpoint. (Plus make it a good deal for my fellow broke costumers.  ;) )

I have made a little bit more progress on the JP mold. I would like to preface this with the fact that I am leaning heavily on the experience and the methods of those that have gone before me. STG's WIP, specifically, has been an invaluable resource as I try and figure this thing out. Thanks STG, you rule.

Here is the MDF rocket master:

The wooden body coming together:

I am really hoping that I can get this bad boy to the vac table within THE NEXT WEEK!

Brandon L.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2012, 11:38 PM »
Looking excellent so far!

Any more photos on how you put together the MDF rocket?

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

Does your signature look cut off? Here's why!

tk3181

« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:32 AM »
There really wasn't much to show on the rocket. I glued 6 layers of MDF into a block, let it cure overnight and the chucked it up in the wood lathe. Then, using the the template I drew up, my father and I turned it out. (He owns the lathe :-)) next, I plan to install the fins and seal it. Then it will be slathered up in silicone to be poured in resin.

Brandon L.

Calo Ordoa

« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:31 AM »
I know I'm MAJIC... But depending on price, I might be up for one.  :)

Pricing for full sets are still in a fluid state as I am refining my process in order to make it viable from a production standpoint. (Plus make it a good deal for my fellow broke costumers.  ;) )

At a rough estimate, what is the price range you were thinking about?

tk3181

« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2012, 04:18 PM »
Man, that's a hard estimate to give seeing as how I have yet to see if the molds even work out like I think they should. I really need to at least do the first pull before I can say how much. Soon...

Here is a shot of the Tank topper master and the rocket side by side.

More to come.

Brandon L.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!