Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

TK3181's DW Jetpack build

• 39 Replies

tk3181

• Awards TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
TK3181's DW Jetpack build
« on: Jan 14, 2012, 12:39 AM »
And now, on to the hard part...

I have started the prep work for my Season 2 DW Jetpack. I began by importing in a few screen shots from the Mandalorian Plot episodes into AutoCAD. Then, I brought in a sketch of Jango's Arena pack and rescaled and re-detailed the pack to match the proportions of the actual animated one. After this was complete, I scaled it to the width of my backplate. I will build a cardboard mockup first to just work out any quirks that might come up. Then, it's on to MDF and the Vacuum Former. Here are a couple of pics of my progress:

The plans:

The beginnings of the cardboard mockup:

I hope I can knock out the basic mold this weekend.

More to come!

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2012, 01:12 AM by tk3181 » Logged
Brandon L.

Patrikar Dala

• Forever alone....watching you....
Re: TK3181's DW Jetpack build
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2012, 10:29 PM »
Way to go vod! Hopefully you will be ready to come to CVI!

Armor: 100%
Soft parts: 100%
Weapons: 100%
Complete Mondoness!: 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hagen Nor'ak

• More then credits
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2012, 09:52 AM »
So just out of curiosity (for if/WHEN :P these become avalible), what is the width of your backplate? Also whats the lenght of the main body (minus thrusters and rocket) looking like it will be?

Have a good one,
Hagen

tk3181

• Awards TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2012, 06:22 PM »
So just out of curiosity (for if/WHEN :P these become avalible), what is the width of your backplate? Also whats the lenght of the main body (minus thrusters and rocket) looking like it will be?

Have a good one,
Hagen

My back plate is just around 15" wide. The JP body is about 16-1/2" from the top point of the plate to the bottom. (Not including thrusters or rocket.)

Brandon L.

tk3181

« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:45 PM »
I don't have any more pics yet, but the wooden jetpack assembly has begun and the rocket is currently being turned out on the lathe.

Brandon L.

Patrikar Dala

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2012, 10:57 PM »
Sweet! hope it's workin' well!

Calo Ordoa

« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2012, 11:46 PM »
I just know this is gonna be good, TK.  ;D

Bayani

• CC-4764
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2012, 12:54 AM »
Thats awesome Brandon!  Do you have an estimated date when you will be offering all your DW pieces?

tk3181

« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2012, 08:10 AM »
I am shooting for Mid February to start the initial run. But, if people want pieces now, I may be able to squeeze a few in as I pull my remaining parts. At the moment I am trying to get my personal suit ready for VisionCon February 17-19.

(I wouldn't expect anyone to wear this armor if I wasn't willing to, right?  ;) )

Brandon L.

Patrikar Dala

« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:29 AM »
How much will these pieces be?

tk3181

« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:21 PM »
Pricing for full sets are still in a fluid state as I am refining my process in order to make it viable from a production standpoint. (Plus make it a good deal for my fellow broke costumers.  ;) )

I have made a little bit more progress on the JP mold. I would like to preface this with the fact that I am leaning heavily on the experience and the methods of those that have gone before me. STG's WIP, specifically, has been an invaluable resource as I try and figure this thing out. Thanks STG, you rule.

Here is the MDF rocket master:

The wooden body coming together:

I am really hoping that I can get this bad boy to the vac table within THE NEXT WEEK!

Brandon L.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2012, 11:38 PM »
Looking excellent so far!

Any more photos on how you put together the MDF rocket?

tk3181

« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:32 AM »
There really wasn't much to show on the rocket. I glued 6 layers of MDF into a block, let it cure overnight and the chucked it up in the wood lathe. Then, using the the template I drew up, my father and I turned it out. (He owns the lathe :-)) next, I plan to install the fins and seal it. Then it will be slathered up in silicone to be poured in resin.

Brandon L.

Calo Ordoa

« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:31 AM »
I know I'm MAJIC... But depending on price, I might be up for one.  :)

Pricing for full sets are still in a fluid state as I am refining my process in order to make it viable from a production standpoint. (Plus make it a good deal for my fellow broke costumers.  ;) )

At a rough estimate, what is the price range you were thinking about?

tk3181

« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2012, 04:18 PM »
Man, that's a hard estimate to give seeing as how I have yet to see if the molds even work out like I think they should. I really need to at least do the first pull before I can say how much. Soon...

Here is a shot of the Tank topper master and the rocket side by side.

More to come.

Brandon L.

Calo Ordoa

« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2012, 04:23 PM »
Cooly cool! I can't wait to see more, TK.  :)

tk3181

« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2012, 01:52 PM »
This weekend I sealed the rocket master and tank topper with ModPodge and added the fins. These should be ready for silicone now.

Brandon L.

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2012, 02:49 PM »
Will you sell parts separately as well? I'm in the market for some tank toppers and thrusters.

tk3181

« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2012, 03:43 PM »
I have been considering doing a "Jet Pack Accessories" kit.  :D

Brandon L.

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2012, 03:49 PM »
might be intrested in a Jetpack  ;D

Jedi Hunter WIP I Daimyo Boba WIP I Early Crusader WIP

I'm a Texan and Mandalorian, firearms are part of my religion

stormtrooperguy

• Awards TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Boba and Jango
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:00 PM »
So cool! I want to redo my rocket and tank toppers at some point. I didn't have a lathe at the time so I did funky stuff with a drill press and sand paper. Now that I have a lathe, this would go so much better! :)

redkraytdragon

• Disintigrations are likely...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2012, 04:06 AM »
I didn't have a lathe at the time so I did funky stuff with a drill press and sand paper.

I know EXACTLY where you're coming from bro!! lol

tk3181

« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2012, 12:09 PM »
I have to say, the wood lathe is nice. I also have access to a huge Metal lathe at the shop where the Vac Former sits.  :D

My Dad and I made a little progress on the JP mold. (I think he has been bitten by the bug! :-))

Brandon L.

tk3181

« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2012, 12:22 AM »
Cloning procedure successful!

Brandon L.

Patrikar Dala

« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2012, 10:31 PM »
Did you hatch them out of transparent tanks? :P

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!