Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Byrek's Aquatic Beast Master. ONGOING UPGRADE THREAD

• 419 Replies

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Byrek's Aquatic Beast Master.
« Reply #30 on: Mar 04, 2012, 08:12 PM »
Dral, he's essentially trying to meet CRL's and BRL's in one build and it needs to be addressed as it's built. He also is lookign at 2 seperate Brigades and needs to narrow it down to one.

The armor design itself will meet CRL's without issue.

Aquatic/Scuba, would fall under Shock Infantry. Im not sure how much it's even been addressed, if at all. But the kit would need to have a streamlined fit like a Frogman or a big bulky fit like a deep sea diver. Think Torpedo and Deep Six from GI Joe. But, things like leather aren't going to fit the bill. Unless it's a sea creature leather, which has a very distinct look and texture, it's not going to hold up to aquatic use.

The Beast Master look, not sure what brigade that will fall under although I have a feeling it will end up in Shock Infantry as well but, a clearly different specialty than Scuba. Blackbird and the gang have done a great job laying out details for a Beast Master but, Im not sure how many would carry over to a Scuba type kit.

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #31 on: Mar 04, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Definitely Beast Master (As long as it's made into a brigade.) I'm much more interested in that than shock infantry. But yeah, I'm definitely not going to build a deep sea one. I'm going to do the Ahab thing that Blackbird mentioned. I like the idea much more, and it works with what I want as well.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #32 on: Mar 04, 2012, 08:39 PM »
Did I say something wrong?

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #33 on: Mar 04, 2012, 10:16 PM »
It just seams like a chore to have to get cool looking aquatic boots, especially for a half decent price.

such are the drawbacks for going with a unique themed-kit like aquatic beast master

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Byrek Avery

« Reply #34 on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:01 PM »
I finally got steel wool. So, here is my armor. The only thing missing is my battle damage from my encounter with the Hydroid Medusa. I'm trying to find more info on it to appropriately assess how big to make it. Any one have any ideas?

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Ghostwalker

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #35 on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:10 PM »
with that much scratching on the plates you'll need to wear the paint on the horizontal edges down to "metal". as it stands it looks ... odd.

try wet sanding with 800 or 1k paper, pretty sure you'll like the results.
especially in the places where you have large areas of "metal" now.
that kind of stuff can be done beautifully with a bit of water drip and gentle, slow, high grit sanding.

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #36 on: Mar 06, 2012, 08:33 AM »
What did/are you going to do with the Armor ?

Are you getting ready to re-paint it ?  Confused ?  :-\

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Byrek Avery

« Reply #37 on: Mar 06, 2012, 03:55 PM »
What? No. I don't understand the confusion. I'm weathering it. The only thing left to do is the hydroid medusa scars before I put on the clear coat.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Byrek Avery

« Reply #38 on: Mar 09, 2012, 10:22 PM »
After a full days work, I've made much progress.

Painted my shoulders/biceps (Still in need of weathering):

Got my "meat hook," with a dull point. It's a water bucket hanger, which was $2 at Home Depot:

And made excellent progress on the harpoon gun!

I also have thigh plates coming from Mandaal Tech, gauntlets coming from Forge Props eventually (family issues), pouches from Vicousvestments, and Kraam said that he is working on my shins.

Here is the armor as it stands. That's not the final loincloth, it's just there to look less awkward. haha. Also notice the slight weathering on the gloves.. ;)

Here are the adjustments to the strapping I made..

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

ConDar Ward

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #39 on: Mar 10, 2012, 01:25 AM »
Nice Work ..... But it still doesn't yet look too aquatic  ...... except for the Blue color ........  :-X

You've picked a VERY less well known Type of Mando , so it's hard to tell with no bucket ....

Can't wait to see more ....... Good Luck ..... 8)

Blackbird

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #40 on: Mar 10, 2012, 12:00 PM »
I really like it so far.  That armor looks great and fits perfectly.
The glove spikes are nice, but are they sharp?  Just remember that anything that can really be used as a weapon or seen as a legit weapon will cause problems at just about any event.

As for trophies and ways to make it look more "aquatic," I have a few suggestions.
First, you can maybe have a small bunch of anglerfish-style antenna-light things.  you can try something like this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bendable-LED-Flashlight/
Just add some kind of cover to make it look organic.

You can also add some shark teeth, integrate a shark-like jawbone somewhere, add some dionaga tentacles and maybe more hooks.  Or hooks of varying size.
You can also look into adding barnacles to your armor, or build a knife with a coral handle.  If you can find a good material and make it look cool without being corny, you can add a cape out of a net or just add a net to your kit somewhere.

You can also research Maori weapons and culture a bit.  They have a lot of jewelery and weaponry that has a natural look and feel that fits very well with a sea-based character.   I think something based on one of those shark tooth-lined clubs would look awesome.

^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531

ConDar Ward

« Reply #41 on: Mar 10, 2012, 01:39 PM »
I Freakin Totally agree with BB on this ^   

Very good direction to go in ...... 8) 

It will be more of the Accessories that either make or break this kit in the end  ......

The Armor is great , so no worries there ..... keep focused on details & this will be spectacular . ;)

Byrek Avery

« Reply #42 on: Mar 10, 2012, 05:41 PM »
Damn BB. You're a genius I like all of those ideas. But maybe the cape would be too much, I'm already having a hardpack, and I can't think of anywhere to put a net otherwise.

The shark jaw sounds good. I could get this for about $30. What do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Real-11-inch-Shark-jaw-teeth-mouth-taxidermy-sharks-ocean-predator-J-424-/160755167502?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256dc1310e#ht_709wt_1163

Barnacles sound awesome. Time to see if i can get some fake ones.

Now, I'm gonna go hit the Maori page. haha

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #43 on: Mar 10, 2012, 05:50 PM »
Just make sure the teeth aren't going to hurt anyone. When you're in a crowded area like a con floor, people are going to be bumping into you and brushing against you.

Byrek Avery

« Reply #44 on: Mar 11, 2012, 11:32 AM »
I really like it so far.  That armor looks great and fits perfectly.
The glove spikes are nice, but are they sharp?  Just remember that anything that can really be used as a weapon or seen as a legit weapon will cause problems at just about any event.

As for trophies and ways to make it look more "aquatic," I have a few suggestions.
First, you can maybe have a small bunch of anglerfish-style antenna-light things.  you can try something like this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bendable-LED-Flashlight/
Just add some kind of cover to make it look organic.

You can also add some shark teeth, integrate a shark-like jawbone somewhere, add some dionaga tentacles and maybe more hooks.  Or hooks of varying size.
You can also look into adding barnacles to your armor, or build a knife with a coral handle.  If you can find a good material and make it look cool without being corny, you can add a cape out of a net or just add a net to your kit somewhere.

You can also research Maori weapons and culture a bit.  They have a lot of jewelery and weaponry that has a natural look and feel that fits very well with a sea-based character.   I think something based on one of those shark tooth-lined clubs would look awesome.

I did research on the Maori people and honestly, they're not that interesting. They seem more like a tourist attraction. But the shark tooth club gave me an idea of lining the underside of my gun with shark teeth.

As far as the barnacles go, and can get a 8 x 10 sheet of latex ones for $12.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Costume-Prop-Davy-Jones-Pirate-Mermaid-LARP-Halloween-Latex-Barnacles-/150676665281?pt=US_Costume_Accessories&hash=item23150773c1#ht_1508wt_1163

the coral knife is cool.. but I stumbled upon one of those shark with the saw-like jaw, and I though that would be awesome.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/S838-12-SAWSHARK-BILL-Saw-blade-rostrum-SHARK-jaw-sharks-teeth-taxidermy-Nose-/390395086401?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae55c4641#ht_799wt_1163

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!