Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Byrek's Aquatic Beast Master. ONGOING UPGRADE THREAD

• 419 Replies

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
Byrek's Aquatic Beast Master. ONGOING UPGRADE THREAD
« on: Jan 20, 2012, 11:43 PM »
Myself and another merc traded armor. The only real issue is that he was quiet a bit larger than my self.
-Is there a way to form fiberglassed cardboard? If I can, excellent. If not, my plan to to take the whole damn thing apart, make patterns from it, and scale it down to my size.

Here is a picture of the armor, some of you may recognize it.

If I have to create templates for it, I was considering using some British riot gear I had laying around as Shoulders/biceps.

Any/all constructive criticism would be much appreciated.

« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2012, 11:28 PM by Byrek: Te Gi Beroya » Logged

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Zohar Nef

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Byrek's Upgrade from Modern, to Legacy.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2012, 11:30 PM »
I know that set ;).  I also have some of that same riot gear, took all the straps off of it though and have been toying with it.  I think it should pass crls with a change in the straps. Isn't that the forarm elbow piece to it, nice idea to use it for the bicep.  Can also make a nice set of gauntlets out of, either way nice thinking.

There is no problem in life that can not be solved through the proper aplication of high explosives.

Cryxus Lome

• Ever danced with a Rancor in the pale moonlight?
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2012, 03:17 PM »
You could put the strapping on the inside, then rivet them again. Giving you a smooth outter shell.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

"The only thing we have to Fear, is Fear itself!"-
                                                        Franklin Delano re Roosevelt
My two most favored quotes of all time.

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=4

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2012, 03:21 PM »
Fiberglass can be heated, and re-manipulated.  You'll need boiling water or an oven, as well as some thermal mits.  You'll probably have to do a repaint afterwards.

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Byrek Avery

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2012, 04:12 PM »
Fiberglass can be heated, and re-manipulated.  You'll need boiling water or an oven, as well as some thermal mits.  You'll probably have to do a repaint afterwards.

Yeah, that's fine. Is there any tutorials on this? I can't seem to find one. If not, could you by any chance run me through the process?

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2012, 09:57 AM »
There's really no tutorials that I know of.

You have 2 options for re-manipulating fiberglass once it's already hardened:  You can put it in 200 degree oven for 3-5 minutes, which will make the fiberglass pliable again.  Or you can submerge the piece into boiling water until it becomes pliable.  Just remember to use heat resistant mitts!

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Ghostwalker

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2012, 03:01 PM »
hang on hang on.. this will spell disaster for you!
the core is cardboard, corrugated at that if i recall zohars build thread right.
get water in there and you are in for a world of pain. it will soak it in and swell... not a good time at all.

If you need templates they are available already in the legacy section.

If you take it apart for making your own templates, be kind to the armor.
As it is you can always re-sell it to someone whom it will fit better.

Byrek Avery

« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2012, 09:01 PM »
hang on hang on.. this will spell disaster for you!
the core is cardboard, corrugated at that if i recall zohars build thread right.
get water in there and you are in for a world of pain. it will soak it in and swell... not a good time at all.

If you need templates they are available already in the legacy section.

If you take it apart for making your own templates, be kind to the armor.
As it is you can always re-sell it to someone whom it will fit better.

Huh.... very true. What general places can I get sintra?

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Jaro

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2012, 09:06 PM »
Try looking for a Sign Supply shop. That's the best places Ive found around me. I can get a 4 x 8 foot sheet for around $28

Byrek Avery

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2012, 09:23 PM »
Try looking for a Sign Supply shop. That's the best places Ive found around me. I can get a 4 x 8 foot sheet for around $28

Alright. I'm just going to make the legs pieces, and maybe biceps as well. The chest fits me rather well. Speaking of which, it's practically done, aside from the black wash and real weathering. Check it out!

What do you guys think of the lines?

With it on..

And my lightsaber scarring.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Ghostwalker

« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2012, 11:48 PM »
interesting color scheme...
for sintra i use tap plastic and have it shipped to my door. good prices, good service.
let me suggest not getting white sintra, get black or dark grey instead.
that way if you accidentally scratch your paint job deep enough to show sintra it won't be a glaring white line.
hell if they sell blue sintra you might be set right there and never have to worry about carrying a silver paint sharpie.

Zohar Nef

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2012, 12:04 AM »
Nice to see the upper body worked out so well for you, the poncho design makes it easy to get on and off, don't it.

There is no problem in life that can not be solved through the proper aplication of high explosives.

Ghostwalker

« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2012, 01:03 AM »
Yeah you worked hard on that, glad it fit him without tearing it apart for refitting.

Byrek Avery

« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2012, 08:55 AM »
Yeah you worked hard on that, glad it fit him without tearing it apart for refitting.

Me too. The only real alteration I need to make is the side straping. They're too long, so with a quick tightening, it will be great. The legs, however, are much too large. Haha.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2012, 09:52 AM »
I like the sigil detailing. Nice.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2012, 02:21 PM »
Liking the Colours vod ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Byrek Avery

« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2012, 06:59 PM »
I like the sigil detailing. Nice.

After 5 hours of taping, you better like it.  ;)

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Byrek Avery

Re: Byrek's Aquatic Beast Master.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2012, 10:59 PM »
I just read through all of Blackbird's Beast Master brigade stuff, and I was inspired. I want to make this kit into an Aquatic Beast Master.

So here are some ideas I've been coming up with.

I started working on a jet pack a while back ago, but it'll make a better oxygen tank. It was the center of vacuum.

I have an old M1 frame kicking around the house, and I want to build a harpoon gun out of it. I'm going to make a cover for the barrel so the harpoon sticks out but rope is covered.

On the other side is where the ammo was loaded, (or something like that. It looks like it's where the bolt came down in a bolt action rifle, but I'm not good with guns.) I'm going to make a hook of some sort coming out of that with rope coiled around it. The rope will lead into the barrel located under the cover to the harpoon. So when, "fired," the harpoon would launch and the rope would follow with it.

Here are the Harpoons. I haven't even begun working on these because the weather has been cold. The smaller harpoon is actually an XL poison dart for those bigger fish that Liam Neeson mentions. I'm particularly proud of myself for this find:

I went to iParty  this weekend and picked up this huge rubber snake.

I want to cut it off right where my hand is and hang it off a hook like this.

My only problem so far is that I don't know what that hook is called, so I can't buy one. Does anyone know?

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Adenn Kyram

• There is no such thing as overkill only efficiency
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2012, 01:59 AM »
 Meat hook used in slaughter to move hanging frozen meat.if I remember correctly.

M.A. #16-24er , EMTS #90 , M.A.J.I.C. #086 , M5SP #13 , M.A.D # 27 , E.R.A #13 , K.O.M.S#008 , B.O.M.B #19

Byrek Avery

« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2012, 02:16 AM »
Meat hook used in slaughter to move hanging frozen meat.if I remember correctly.

You're the man. I just found them.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2012, 02:34 AM »
you should probably just make a plastic one or something rather than use a real metal meat hook. event security anywhere would have a heart attack if you carried that thing around.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Byrek Avery

« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2012, 03:02 AM »
you should probably just make a plastic one or something rather than use a real metal meat hook. event security anywhere would have a heart attack if you carried that thing around.

I actually just thought of a way. I'm going to take a run of the mill S hook, and put a hole into some plastic/wooden/metal rod and insert it. Giving it the aesthetic appearance of a meat hook, while being extremely dull.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Byrek Avery

« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2012, 11:42 PM »
I finished most of my designs and concepts the other night, and decided to post them.

I can't decide on which loincloth to go with, the second one is scalemail. I have also obtained a few sweet pieces.

A pair of boots for $10. I thought they were wicked swarzy.

From the salt on the roads, they have this sweet weathering that I would love to preserve. Any ideas?

A stitched leather belt. It'll look awesome on the BM kit.

Feedback rules!

If those cocept pics don't fix themselves, here's a link.

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa271/angel-of-oblivion23/?action=view&current=Image12.jpg

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2012, 12:24 PM »
Concept looks good. I would make a couple of suggestions though since youre going for an aquatic theme...

Dont use leather. Normally Im all about leather but, for being an aquatic warrior it doesnt make good sense. Change anything leather to nylon.

For the boots as well, I would try to find something like a set of aquatic shoes or diver suit shoes instead of leather boots.

Keeping with th elegacy armor is fine but, I would cut down to light armor instead of a heavy armor configuration.

Think about replacing the loincloth with either a cod plate or a soft cod (like the "diapers" the Scout Troopers wear).

When you get to your flightsuit, this would definatly be a costume where a fitted bodysuit would be preferable to a fabric flightsuit.

Byrek Avery

« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2012, 03:55 PM »
Concept looks good. I would make a couple of suggestions though since youre going for an aquatic theme...

Dont use leather. Normally Im all about leather but, for being an aquatic warrior it doesnt make good sense. Change anything leather to nylon.

For the boots as well, I would try to find something like a set of aquatic shoes or diver suit shoes instead of leather boots.

Keeping with th elegacy armor is fine but, I would cut down to light armor instead of a heavy armor configuration.

Think about replacing the loincloth with either a cod plate or a soft cod (like the "diapers" the Scout Troopers wear).

When you get to your flightsuit, this would definatly be a costume where a fitted bodysuit would be preferable to a fabric flightsuit.

I did actually think of the leather thing, It just seams like a chore to have to get cool looking aquatic boots, especially for a half decent price.

Cutting the armor down to light is only an issue on a personal level. I can't say I've ever seen a light legacy kit. I feel like it would look funny to have a nearly sealed chest and nothing on the legs, but the scuba troopers do it, so I'll give it a try.

I'll look into a cod, because a soft cod sounds god awful. haha

I don't know about the body suit. I'm a small guy. So the Legacy already looks a tad bit funny, but I'll definitely look into it.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!