Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Byrek's Aquatic Beast Master. ONGOING UPGRADE THREAD

• 419 Replies

Jaro

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Byrek's Aquatic Beast Master.
« Reply #50 on: Mar 11, 2012, 01:31 PM »
You are considering real world reasons for the barnicles. In universe, these 'barnicles' may be something different altogether, attaching once you touch the water on a certain planet, and near impossible to get off.

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #51 on: Mar 11, 2012, 01:33 PM »
You are considering real world reasons for the barnicles. In universe, these 'barnicles' may be something different altogether, attaching once you touch the water on a certain planet, and near impossible to get off.
Then again, shouldn't they look different then real barnacles? Eh, whatever. I'll keep my mouth shut.

Jaro

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #52 on: Mar 11, 2012, 01:47 PM »
Not Neccesarily, just depends on the look you're going for, and the materials you have in your possession. Besides, barnicles that look like barnicles are easily recognized as barnicles, and require less explanation, which is how it should be.

Blackbird

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #53 on: Mar 11, 2012, 02:12 PM »
I agree, Jaro.
And there will be SOME contact with the water.  I'd imagine a decent amount of wading in shallow water or the surf would be kind of common.  Not enough to keep him from wearing any leather parts or require a wetsuit, but maybe enough to pick up a few little crusty parasites.  Or he could toss his armor overboard to clean off the blood and guts after a hunt.  Or strip it off and accidentally leave it in a puddle.  Or he could have found it in a shipwreck.  Or intentionally tossed it overboard to make it look stereotypically crusty and cool.

There are a few reasons why it would be there, but the only important thing to consider is whether it "fits."  Personally, I think it fits whether it makes absolute sense to be there or not because this isn't a utilitarian piece of equipment.  It's not a representation of the real world.  It's a piece of fantasy artwork that is supposed to look interesting and tell a story.

A lot of Boba's kit doesn't REALLY make complete sense, but it all fits.  Like his cape, which would get snagged all the time.  Or his wookiee braids that someone could yank on in a fight.  Or his rangefinder that would get hung on stuff.  Or his backpack, which limits his movement and would probably hit doors and smack people or make it so he can't really drive a speeder (which I think would come up more often than the need to shoot someone with a rocket).  Or those tools on his shins that look like they would fall out if he weren't standing or sitting straight up.  And we all know how much the armor itself limits your range of motion.  But it all works because it's cool looking and it's a consistent, interesting style.

And of course this is all in moderation.  And these characters are supposed to be soldiers or mercenaries or hunters, so you don't want something over the top, overly cumbersome and ornamental.  And we should always consider the practical, lived in quality of Star Wars.  However I think it's easy to miss the mark when you eliminate something like this because it doesn't make sense.  Well, not a lot of this makes sense.

« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2012, 02:51 PM by Blackbird » Logged
^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #54 on: Mar 11, 2012, 02:14 PM »
When I look at this picture...

...I don't exactly think of clean and simple.

I do. Maybe not "clean", but it is quite simple.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Blackbird

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #55 on: Mar 11, 2012, 02:42 PM »
I do. Maybe not "clean", but it is quite simple.
I disagree.
I see about a dozen different elements that make a layered, complex design.  It's a design that works and it's a character we're all very familiar with, but I don't see it as simple at all.
Based just on what we can see, there's:
some kind of antenna thing on the helmet
extensive weathering including dents
kill stripes
colorful paint scheme
a rocket
a jetpack
3 or 4 different kinds of braided trophies
a cape with some kind of pattern
one mysterious symbol on his shoulder
unique armor made of several plates of different sizes and shapes including a unique stylized helmet
gloves with some kind of pattern
an undersuit with some kind of vest over it
oddly shaped gauntlets with what look like darts, lights, a keypad, a rocket and some kind of metallic do-dads on them
a bizarre gun with a big scope, what looks like a sawed off barrel and a leather sling

It's interesting.  It's not boring.  It's kind of busy and you can look at it a hundred times and notice something new every time.  It has character and is pretty much the reason a guy with 3 or 4 short lines of dialogue and 5 minutes of screen time is one of the most popular characters from Star Wars.

Then there's these:

From these, I see:
White, nondescript robe
Belt with a buckle and a pouch
lightsaber
some kind of tube on the belt
boots with some kind of wrap-like pattern
a black suit
a black glove
a black belt with a buckle and a hook
black boots
These are simple.

« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2012, 02:47 PM by Blackbird » Logged
^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531

Blackbird

« Reply #56 on: Mar 11, 2012, 03:00 PM »
Anyway.  I'm sorry to derail the thread and I think I've made my point as best as I can, so I'm going to leave it at this:
Boba is covered with colors, lights, scars, patterns, symbols and junk.  If done correctly, it adds character and makes your kit look interesting. 
As of now, I think Byrek is doing everything right and I think it's important to encourage an open mind and toss out as many ideas and words of encouragement as possible to help him build the kit he wants to build.  I haven't seen or heard anything to suggest he needs to tone it down, and I think it's counterproductive to encourage someone to keep it plain and simple at this stage.
Keep up the good work and if you need any tips or ideas, I'll help to the best of my ability.

^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531

Dar'manda

« Reply #57 on: Mar 11, 2012, 03:15 PM »
Welp.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #58 on: Mar 11, 2012, 06:44 PM »
Have you guys ever thought about Boba's cape, and how much of a fire hazard it is? It's right next to a jet pack, and the thrusters at that.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Dar'manda

« Reply #59 on: Mar 11, 2012, 06:54 PM »
lightsabers arent real either =P

Byrek Avery

« Reply #60 on: Mar 11, 2012, 07:10 PM »
lightsabers arent real either =P

Touche

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Adenn Kyram

• There is no such thing as overkill only efficiency
« Reply #61 on: Mar 11, 2012, 07:34 PM »
You know I never even thought about that. The cape is a fire hazard.lol  unless its fire retardant cloth maybe.
Anywho back to your kit I think deckhand mando hunter sounds cool.  Another thing you could try instead of barnacles is water marks like are on walls after a flood. On the shins or  thighs maybe? You know to show that he spends a lot of his time tracking beasts through marshlands or swamps. Possibly some moss in the nooks and crannys of the armor for example the seam of the knee and knee dart box. Or something like that. Hope that give you a useful idea or two. Any way good luck and remember have fun!

M.A. #16-24er , EMTS #90 , M.A.J.I.C. #086 , M5SP #13 , M.A.D # 27 , E.R.A #13 , K.O.M.S#008 , B.O.M.B #19

Byrek Avery

« Reply #62 on: Mar 11, 2012, 07:48 PM »
You know I never even thought about that. The cape is a fire hazard.lol  unless its fire retardant cloth maybe.
Anywho back to your kit I think deckhand mando hunter sounds cool.  Another thing you could try instead of barnacles is water marks like are on walls after a flood. On the shins or  thighs maybe? You know to show that he spends a lot of his time tracking beasts through marshlands or swamps. Possibly some moss in the nooks and crannys of the armor for example the seam of the knee and knee dart box. Or something like that. Hope that give you a useful idea or two. Any way good luck and remember have fun!

EXACTLY! No one ever thinks about the fire danger!
Back to the kit, I like the water stain idea. Definitely will use it. The moss, maybe not. It's more of a sea kind of thing, such as Kamino and what not. but it will be taken into consideration. I appreciate all input :)

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Kiel'ani Cardas

• Remembering Princess Leah
« Reply #63 on: Mar 11, 2012, 09:56 PM »
Hate to interrupt - (don't you just hate newbies like me?) but I saw one of Mandalorian Ewok's blades the other day and instantly thought "That's a match made in heaven for an aquatic mando." Then lo and behold, I found this thread.

(But yeah, all creds to Mandolorian Ewok and his awesome blade designs.)

The one on top with the hook looks perfect for spearing "water beasties". When you go out fishing you take a boatload of knives with hooked tips... and isn't this just an extreme form of fishing? You could even incorporate a long tooth for the handle or a scaley handle-wrap...

Byrek Avery

« Reply #64 on: Mar 11, 2012, 10:45 PM »
Hate to interrupt - (don't you just hate newbies like me?) but I saw one of Mandalorian Ewok's blades the other day and instantly thought "That's a match made in heaven for an aquatic mando." Then lo and behold, I found this thread.

(But yeah, all creds to Mandolorian Ewok and his awesome blade designs.)

The one on top with the hook looks perfect for spearing "water beasties". When you go out fishing you take a boatload of knives with hooked tips... and isn't this just an extreme form of fishing? You could even incorporate a long tooth for the handle or a scaley handle-wrap...

I love input. I don't care who it comes from! No discrimination! I like the blade ideas, but #2 looks like a Spartans sword, and #3 looks like a scimitar, and $4 is almost too flimsy. I like #1, but only the hook part. I don't really have room on the kit for a sword. The the hook may be incorporated onto my knife.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Kiel'ani Cardas

« Reply #65 on: Mar 11, 2012, 11:21 PM »
Ah, yeah I was only considering blade #1, but I didn't take time to crop the others  out :) I agree that a sword would be too much; was thinking more along the lines of a knife.

Not gonna lie: I'm a sucker for knives. (I'm going to avoid making any for my first kit because I would de tempted to slap one on every free inch of armor.)

Byrek Avery

« Reply #66 on: Mar 11, 2012, 11:28 PM »
Ah, yeah I was only considering blade #1, but I didn't take time to crop the others  out :) I agree that a sword would be too much; was thinking more along the lines of a knife.

Not gonna lie: I'm a sucker for knives. (I'm going to avoid making any for my first kit because I would de tempted to slap one on every free inch of armor.)

The problem with knives, is that they fit everywhere: Shin, side of a boot, thigh (where mine will be), belt, chest, shoulder, bicep, and even the gauntlet. They're great space fillers.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Byrek Avery

« Reply #67 on: Mar 15, 2012, 07:45 PM »
I started working on my barnacles today, my pouches came in, and I have a new hard pack idea.

Here are the barnacles with a size comparison, I made them out of clay.

New pouches.

New Hardpack:

And after A LOT of sanding and bondo, my harpoon gun.

-Anyone know how to paint something and make it look like wood?
-How did you guys cut out your visors? My last helmet gave me no issue, but I have a Legacy V1 and am having a hard time. 

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Byrek Avery

« Reply #68 on: Apr 29, 2012, 09:43 AM »
I'm not dead. Trust me, I've been busy. Aside from the shown, my gauntlets, shins, and knees have the midnight blue paint on them. I just need to get around to detailing with the gold. The gun is almost finished, and I had my flight suit tailored to fit me better.

Helmet:

Hardpack: I plan on filling that canister with Bacta  :D

Thigh plates: I still need to paint the barrels of two of the harpoons.

Trophy:

Unweathered Loincloth:

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Veman Gilamar

• Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #69 on: Apr 29, 2012, 10:05 AM »
Very original !!  I like it so far, gotta see how the barnacles turn out

Byrek Avery

« Reply #70 on: Apr 29, 2012, 10:17 AM »
Very original !!  I like it so far, gotta see how the barnacles turn out

I'll post pictures. I forgot about that part, haha

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #71 on: Apr 29, 2012, 10:58 AM »
I love the Harpoons ..... I have several myself .....  ;D

Very clever ner'vod ..... ;)

I also like the Trophy .......  8)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #72 on: Apr 29, 2012, 12:17 PM »
Nice.

Kiel'ani Cardas

« Reply #73 on: Apr 29, 2012, 12:31 PM »
Finally! Good to see this moving forward. :) Really like the thigh plate harpoons and hardpack. What did you decide to use for bacta?

Byrek Avery

« Reply #74 on: Apr 29, 2012, 03:26 PM »
Finally! Good to see this moving forward. :) Really like the thigh plate harpoons and hardpack. What did you decide to use for bacta?

Funny you ask. Blue raspberry jolly rancher soda :D

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!