Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Repulsorlift jump packs vs. Jetpacks.

• 22 Replies

Dral Buurenaar

• Dralkotep Cyareakaan
Re: Repulsorlift jump packs vs. Jetpacks.
« Reply #15 on: Oct 13, 2011, 02:28 PM »
Yeah i like to geek out on the tech side of things which is why i like to discuss them. I'll take some pics and draw up my plans and post them.   As far as the repulsor whine, i'm assuming one could built a system which will dampen down the noise for covert usage.  I lean toward the relative density explanation as well. I know there was an example of a huge character in one of the SW novels that had implanted mini repulsors in his body to help support his immense weight. I dont recall the book though. They obviously had no lasting ill effects on him.

« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2011, 02:35 PM by Dral Buurenaar » Logged

Ship: Burk'yc bora [Risky Business]
Co-pilot: N8-R10 [Nate Arten]
Manda'galaar / MA#045

Jacad Moonstar

• The Ghost of Alaris Prime
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Oct 15, 2011, 12:37 AM »
I'm trying figure the out the difference between both packs. Repulsor packs have very vague details. But I can imagine they are more silent than conventional Jetpacks. I also bet they have least chances of misifre.

I only found one type of Repulsor pack, but its called the Screamer, it contradicts my beliefs about Repulsor packs

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Screamer_Jumper_Jet_Pack

MVS Founder

♫Springtime for Vader and Palpatine! Winter time for Alderaan and Hoth!♫

Dral Buurenaar

• Dralkotep Cyareakaan
« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2011, 12:44 AM »
Yeah thats a jet pack. Its produced by a repulsor company but there is no referance to it actually being a Repulsor pack. It had me confused at first because a repulsor wouldnt need a loud exhaust.

Manda'galaar / MA#045

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #18 on: Oct 15, 2011, 01:13 AM »
Nen-Carvon R-444 Sky Swooper
Nen-Carvon R-23 Paraglider
Nen-Carvon R-19 Paraglider
Iliseni Aerodyne Microweight

All of the repulsorpacks I remember are paraglider based. (or is it all of the paragliders are repulsor assisted?)  One of my SWRPG characters uses the last one.

Jacad Moonstar

• The Ghost of Alaris Prime
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #19 on: Oct 17, 2011, 11:49 PM »
In my conclusion to Repulsor packs, they do require stabilizing wings after reading about the Paragliders

MVS Founder

♫Springtime for Vader and Palpatine! Winter time for Alderaan and Hoth!♫

Dral Buurenaar

• Dralkotep Cyareakaan
« Reply #20 on: Oct 18, 2011, 12:10 AM »
From Wiki..........

The A-11 Coruscant Police Repulsor Pack was a personal transportation device used by Coruscant Police Forces during the Clone Wars and into the Galactic Civil War. It offered a great degree of mobility in the air, for the Police, though often at the personal risk of the user.

Characteristics: Repulsorpacks were often worn on the back, much like its predecessor the Jetpack. They lasted longer than the Jetpack, and have the ability to hover in place using unique repulsor technology. A-11 Coruscant Police Repulsor Packs were controlled by a wrist-mounted device, but Ontuse Karaane fitted his to work through verbal commands issued into his visor in his helmet. To launch, a repulsorpack funneled both air and fuel through miniaturized turbines. In the device's intake system, the air-fuel mix was ignited, providing the thrust needed to propel the wearer through the air. The launch of most repulsorpacks wasn't accompanied by a cloud of exhaust, like the jetpacks are known for. This is useful when trying to make a quick escape without being noticed.

In flight, directional exhaust nozzles controlled the user's flight path, while a gyrostabilizer counterbalanced the repulsorpack's velocity for descent. Repulsorpacks were considered impractical for public use, but are better suited than jetpacks. Downsides to the repulsorpack's agility included the device's thirty-kilo weight, and the fact that most models could carry enough fuel for around twenty bursts of thrust.   - Wiki

There are other examples of wingless repulsor packs but none that i've found that do not expel some type of thrust exaust. These packs allow for guided flight just like jetpacks but i'm not sure about maximum flight cielings. I do like that they state they are more stealthy than jetpacks.

Manda'galaar / MA#045

Dral Buurenaar

• Dralkotep Cyareakaan
« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2011, 03:43 PM »

This is a very rough draw up of my Repulsorpack design. It will have much more detail when finished but this gives you the general idea. The area in the middle with the air intake and directional thrusters will be raised from the base.

Manda'galaar / MA#045

R. Brek-Madak

• A Bucket Full of CRAZY ! @__e
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2012, 09:37 AM »
im not sure if it would be allowed, but ive always had the impression that repulsor-packs were essentially anti-gravity packs, and thus had glowey bits for 'high-tech' visual impact.

im thinking theres a good chance i might opt for a repulsor pack, when it gets time for me to make a pack. Im thusfar inspired by the Halo 2 Elite Ranger grav-pack.

http://images.wikia.com/halo/images/e/ec/Rangerelite2.jpg

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/20/d0/f0f0a2c008a03375fa718010.L.jpg
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/46/5c/67cdb220dca0dda3f9528010.L.jpg

you probably couldn't get away with copying it directly, but rendered in a SWarzy style, seen on a mando, would be awesome.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!