Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jark'osa's WIP - Current Stage:: Finished

• 149 Replies

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
Re: Jark'osa's WIP - Before Paint - Am I Ready to Paint?
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2012, 01:46 PM »
Like i said, everything need's to come together first plus Kilryth's pic come from a better angle. Here is my sizes in my old colours,

Im 5ft 9" and 23" across the shoulders.

The bells give ye width too.

« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2012, 01:51 PM by Kel T Skirata » Logged
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2012, 04:26 PM »
Personally, I think it looks too big, but I'm not on the approval team. You said you were going to try to come to the AP in Perry next month right? Wait to paint the bucket and bring it with you to let a couple of us see it in person. Also, while you are there, you can try on my 2-piece krayt to see how it fits compared to the 1:1. You are making great progress, and I would hate for you to not get approved due to helmet sizing issues.

It might not be too big, but sometimes its really hard to tell in pictures.

-Brandi

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2012, 05:25 PM »
Thanks for your input guys!!  I'll hold some shoulder bells up in the mirror with the helmet on, just to see how it looks.

As for the helmet padding... my old HJC CXL-4motocross helmet padding fits perfect.  Thinking about just using that, since it's got some good sweat-wicking material in it too.

Edit:  I looked in the mirror, and honestly it's hard to tell without the whole kit put together.  I think it'll look fine.  There appears to be a lot of variance in helmet-to-shoulder ratio on Jango & Boba's kits in the following photos:

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-boba-fett-jango-fett-helmet-costumes-armor.htm

Looks like Jango's helmet is skinnier vs his shoulders (b/c he is broader than Boba).  It also looks like the ESB Boba has a wider helmet than the ROTJ Boba.  It could be perspective, but they do look different in width.

Looks like the light is reflecting off the bare-spot on the helmet, making it look flatter than it is.  I threw a quick layer of paint on it to see how "flat" that side is.

« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2012, 07:57 PM by Kilryth » Logged
Jark'osa Hauza -- Mandalorian Gunslinger

Photos , Short Biography , Armor Build thread

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #28 on: Feb 12, 2012, 12:31 AM »
Thanks for your input guys!!  I'll hold some shoulder bells up in the mirror with the helmet on, just to see how it looks.

As for the helmet padding... my old HJC CXL-4motocross helmet padding fits perfect.  Thinking about just using that, since it's got some good sweat-wicking material in it too.

Edit:  I looked in the mirror, and honestly it's hard to tell without the whole kit put together.  I think it'll look fine.  There appears to be a lot of variance in helmet-to-shoulder ratio on Jango & Boba's kits in the following photos:

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-boba-fett-jango-fett-helmet-costumes-armor.htm

Looks like Jango's helmet is skinnier vs his shoulders (b/c he is broader than Boba).  It also looks like the ESB Boba has a wider helmet than the ROTJ Boba.  It could be perspective, but they do look different in width.

Looks like the light is reflecting off the bare-spot on the helmet, making it look flatter than it is.  I threw a quick layer of paint on it to see how "flat" that side is.

Honestly I think it looks really good, but I just wanted to give you a heads up on the same issue that I'm now facing with sizing, coming straight from a member of the approval team.  Do you know the measurements for shoulders and bucket width?

I'm sure the light made the flat spot look worse, but a little attention there and I think it looks amazing.  That is the only flaw I can pick out. 

Hmm, motocross padding.  I've been debating what type of padding to look into when I'm ready to build it into mine.  Something sports oriented so that it wicks moisture like you mention sounds like a great idea.  I also want to build in an internal chin strap into mine so it stays on no matter what.  You never know when I'm going to decide to do a back flip.

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2012, 12:50 AM »
Thanks a bunch!  I took the helmet photos down so I can revise my helmet. :)  I'll make some modifications.

You can buy motocross "Crown Pads" for about $15... finding them is sometimes the problem lol.  Just go try on some motocross helmets, find your size in a particular brand, then order the replacement Crown pad.  It comes all sewn together from forehead, the scalp, and down to the nape of your neck practically.  Installed with mesh & some kind of fleece-like cotton.  The HJC brand crown pads are real thin too (like 1/4")

All I know is that it's very comfortable and I never notice the sweat when dirtbiking lol.  They also have chin straps... thought about taking that out of my helmet too.

wthrgssr75

« Reply #30 on: Feb 12, 2012, 01:21 AM »
HJC is awesome, pretty much anything they make gives new meaning to universal. The rocket i'm guessing was made from a clutch pilot tool from auto zone (that's what I'm using for my Jango kit). What type of hoses and fittings did you use?

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2012, 01:30 AM »
HJC is awesome, pretty much anything they make gives new meaning to universal. The rocket i'm guessing was made from a clutch pilot tool from auto zone (that's what I'm using for my Jango kit). What type of hoses and fittings did you use?

Yes, the rocket was made from two clutch pilot tools glued together with some PVC parts thrown in.  It worked great, thanks for the suggestion on my WTB thread! :)

Lowes had several reels of hoses in the plumbing section and a bunch of different fittings for them.  I picked up two of a smaller size hose and 1 of a larger one.  I forgot what sizes they were, but I made sure they fit the dowel rods and fittings.  The large fitting is a nut that looks a little like a nozzle.  I grinded the hex portion down.  The smaller fittings were couplings with 3 hex-nuts that I grinded down to make more cylindrical.  I chose these so that they'd fit the dowel rods and the tubing.

The tubing was originally a gloss black, but 60 & 180 grit sandpaper made short work of that! :)

wthrgssr75

« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2012, 01:42 AM »
Your kit looks good! I looked all over the lowes and home depot for a ceiling fan pull that is brass shaped almost like the rocket tip and now I cant find the blasted thing. My boba kit had a damaged ab plate so I improvised with an old scratched up r6 windshield. It was the right contour, just had to trim it a bit and file it down.

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #33 on: Feb 12, 2012, 02:02 AM »
Your kit looks good! I looked all over the lowes and home depot for a ceiling fan pull that is brass shaped almost like the rocket tip and now I cant find the blasted thing. My boba kit had a damaged ab plate so I improvised with an old scratched up r6 windshield. It was the right contour, just had to trim it a bit and file it down.

Thank you!!  Home Depot sells a ceiling fan pull that looks like a Diamond.  it's made out of epoxy and you can shave it down to close to the right shape fairly easily. 

I'm trimming the revolver cylinders now on my blasters.  I thought about making it a tri-cylinder but it would look too funny with that large frame and barrel.  Instead, I am trimming it down to look more like a cowboy 6-shooter cylinder.  Also turning the copper barrel into a muzzle brake (by drilling holes like below)

I think I'll add some leather wraps or something like that on the grip too.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2012, 11:00 AM »
What's your shoulder width? The helmet does look a bit large. Just guessing Im guessing your in the 18-20" range? You may be better off with a 1:1 Jango scale helmet rather than a 1:1 Boba scale helmet. You really need to be 22"+ at the shoulders to pull off a 1:1 Boba scale, otherwise you have to play around with shoulder widening techniques.

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #35 on: Feb 12, 2012, 11:14 AM »
What's your shoulder width? The helmet does look a bit large. Just guessing Im guessing your in the 18-20" range? You may be better off with a 1:1 Jango scale helmet rather than a 1:1 Boba scale helmet. You really need to be 22"+ at the shoulders to pull off a 1:1 Boba scale, otherwise you have to play around with shoulder widening techniques.

I'm glad you commented; thank you for your help, Falin!  When I first received the helmet, I thought "this is a little wide.. but the Helmet Sizing sticky said it will be big without armor!"  Yeah, I'm at 20" on shoulder width.. so I'll try to grab one 2 inches thinner in width.  Been thinking about getting another anyway just for a different look.

« Reply #36 on: Feb 12, 2012, 03:42 PM »
I'd maybe give it a coat of primer just to make it all one color so that people can see more of how it will look when finished as opposed to a modified nerf. Its harder to see the mods when all you see is yellow nerf lol.

I paint mine a cheap flat black paint before modding to get an idea of what I want to do to it. That's all of my gun mods. I'm hoping to get some more pics up soon of my weapons.

-Brandi

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #37 on: Feb 12, 2012, 04:00 PM »
I'd maybe give it a coat of primer just to make it all one color so that people can see more of how it will look when finished as opposed to a modified nerf. Its harder to see the mods when all you see is yellow nerf lol.

Kilryth likes this.  *thumb's up*

That's too funny, but true.  I'm happy with them.  Just not sure if I want a scope of some sort or not.  If I do, I want a narrow profile that makes sense (unlike Solo's blaster with a tubular scope sight.. not practical for a pistol, especially when shooting from the hip)

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #38 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:22 PM »
The nerf is looking a lot better. I'd stay away from the red dot though so many people play modern war games that even kids know what a red dot is. if you wanted a sight of some sort you'd be better off with a scope as that's what we see with Star Wars weapons. Other than that you're making good progress. Removing that bottom half of the maverick has helped the look of it for sure though. Like Brandi said, paint it a flat color to pull it all together and we'll take a look at it then.

« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2012, 07:17 PM by Drak Fiurr Verda » Logged

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #39 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:53 PM »
Thanks for the follow-up Drak!  I'll stay away from the red dot then.  :)

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #40 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:25 AM »
It's looking Ok, but i'd lose the cylinder, It still looks Nerf with it ;) .

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #41 on: Feb 13, 2012, 01:54 PM »
Thank you all for the input on my blasters.  It helped me vastly improve them, while still maintaining the function I was looking for.  I took the pictures of them down due to differences in opinion, and it was beginning to be a focal point of conversation.  I have minimalized them to my liking, and I am adding some additional greeblie parts to take away from the plain look.  You'll see them again in the final product. :)

I ordered a new helmet that should fit me better, so I'll post pictures of that once I receive it.

I never realized how much a WIP helps!  I've just been following the Fett references, but everyones opinions really help me see areas of improvement I wouldn't have seen otherwise!

« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2012, 09:47 AM by Kilryth » Logged

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #42 on: Feb 17, 2012, 08:59 AM »
I decided to attach my armor before I begin painting.  Velcro is a good way of attaching it of course, but I would like something less adjustable that doesn't require sewing.  So I decided to try the Snap method and Bolt/Nut method on some scrap fabric for comparisons.

1/4" Bolts, nuts, and 1/4" Grommets/Eyelets work, but they don't hold the armor any better or closer than snaps.  The snaps I used were Dritz 5/8" Heavy Duty snaps.  They had the same spacing, approximately 4mm.  Countersinking the bolts or the snaps is necessary to bring either one of them in closer.  If countersinking is performed, then the bolt can get 1mm or so closer.

If I went the bolt method, I'd use smaller width bolts, to reduce the spacing and weight.  I'm uncomfortable using a smaller width bolt on Sintra, since layers of the material can peel off easier than other materials.  Countersinking a smaller bolt in Sintra would work fine, but I do not want to fill holes in my armor.

I don't recommend Nylon fasteners since specialty nuts and loctite can't be used to prevent backing out.  I tested blue and red loctite on them, and an adhesive bond was formed.  The package says it does not work on plastic fasteners also.

Update on blasters:  I've modified these more.  Added heatshrouds above the cylinder, a small cylinder rod underneath the barrel (in line with the cylinder axle), and added some small shapes to the bare, flat sides of the blasters.  They have more going on now.  Just waiting for my scopes to arrive in the mail to attach them with a homemade side-mount scope rail.  Instead of doing leather lacing at the grips, I'll have to make a detachable solid leather grip so I can change the batteries inside.

New Helmet and vest are both on their way in the mail!  ;D

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #43 on: Feb 17, 2012, 10:18 AM »
I decided to attach my armor before I begin painting.  Velcro is a good way of attaching it of course, but I would like something less adjustable that doesn't require sewing.  So I decided to try the Snap method and Bolt/Nut method on some scrap fabric for comparisons.

1/4" Bolts, nuts, and 1/4" Grommets/Eyelets work, but they don't hold the armor any better or closer than snaps.  The snaps I used were Dritz 5/8" Heavy Duty snaps.  They had the same spacing, approximately 4mm.  Countersinking the bolts or the snaps is necessary to bring either one of them in closer.  If countersinking is performed, then the bolt can get 1mm or so closer.

If I went the bolt method, I'd use smaller width bolts, to reduce the spacing and weight.  I'm uncomfortable using a smaller width bolt on Sintra, since layers of the material can peel off easier than other materials.  Countersinking a smaller bolt in Sintra would work fine, but I do not want to fill holes in my armor.

I don't recommend Nylon fasteners since specialty nuts and loctite can't be used to prevent backing out.  I tested blue and red loctite on them, and an adhesive bond was formed.  The package says it does not work on plastic fasteners also.

Update on blasters:  I've modified these more.  Added heatshrouds above the cylinder, a small cylinder rod underneath the barrel (in line with the cylinder axle), and added some small shapes to the bare, flat sides of the blasters.  They have more going on now.  Just waiting for my scopes to arrive in the mail to attach them with a homemade side-mount scope rail.  Instead of doing leather lacing at the grips, I'll have to make a detachable solid leather grip so I can change the batteries inside.

New Helmet and vest are both on their way in the mail!  ;D

I plan on using some industrial hook to hook 3M "velcro" but I totally understand wanting something less adjustable so that you don't have to spend so much time on spacing every time you suit up.  I've thought about maybe using just a couple snaps in spots to create a fixed point to try and get the best of both worlds.

The velcro I'm going to go with is a bit expensive, but totally awesome stuff.  If I get the one type the adhesive will hold on Vinyl so I shouldn't even need to sew it on.  If I end up with issues I can still just sew it up a bit.

Hagen Nor'ak

• More then credits
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #44 on: Feb 17, 2012, 10:51 AM »
Just a word of advice, NEVER use the sticky stuff on your soft parts. The adhesive will heat up just from you moving around in the armor, add in a hot summer day troop and that gunk is going to start spreading to areas it shouldn't be. Then you have the problem of pulling it out of storage and your vest being ruined. Happened to my first vest after I pulled it out after getting back from SDCC08. So I'd recommend sew on velcro when ever putting velcro on soft parts. For the plates them selves though sticky velcro is fine. Using snaps or bolts for attachment is never a bad idea either.

Here's a link for attaching armor with bolts.
Here's one for using snaps Link
Here's also a threed on the use of velcro/snaps and magnets to attach armor you might find helpful.

Have a good one,
Hagen

wthrgssr75

« Reply #45 on: Feb 17, 2012, 06:11 PM »
Just a word of advice, NEVER use the sticky stuff on your soft parts. The adhesive will heat up just from you moving around in the armor, add in a hot summer day troop and that gunk is going to start spreading to areas it shouldn't be. Then you have the problem of pulling it out of storage and your vest being ruined. Happened to my first vest after I pulled it out after getting back from SDCC08. So I'd recommend sew on velcro when ever putting velcro on soft parts. For the plates them selves though sticky velcro is fine. Using snaps or bolts for attachment is never a bad idea either.

Here's also a threed on the use of velcro/snaps and magnets to attach armor you might find helpful.

Have a good one,
Hagen

I found that one out the hard way. I fixed it by using sticky velcro on my aluminum and sewn on on my soft parts.

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #46 on: Feb 18, 2012, 01:40 AM »

Have a good one,
Hagen

I may end up regretting my decision to give it a try and not follow your advice, but I do have some good reasons.

The stuff I am talking about I've used at work in industrial applications where it is holding up electrical components in hotter environments.  When those trucks are up and running in the middle of summer it takes some extreme AC units just to keep the thing functional.  It also has a version with an adhesive that specifically states it'll bond to vinyl.

Like I said though I may run into exactly what you say, but I want to give this stuff a shot.  I think I'll test it on some scrap material first to see how it holds, that is a much better idea to try before ruining my vest.

wthrgssr75

« Reply #47 on: Feb 18, 2012, 01:48 AM »
I used nothing but industrial grade velcro on my vest. It works great on the aluminum, but the vinyl vest is a different story. If you do use it on your soft parts, your gonna have a hard time putting a needle and thread in it for added security. The glue gums up the needle and causes the thread to break. If you were to use something like fishing line it might hold up. Or put a screw and nut through the velcro and vinyl just to keep it from moving on you.

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #48 on: Feb 18, 2012, 02:07 AM »
I used nothing but industrial grade velcro on my vest. It works great on the aluminum, but the vinyl vest is a different story. If you do use it on your soft parts, your gonna have a hard time putting a needle and thread in it for added security. The glue gums up the needle and causes the thread to break. If you were to use something like fishing line it might hold up. Or put a screw and nut through the velcro and vinyl just to keep it from moving on you.

Having to get stitches through it may be pretty stuff, definitely going with a test piece.

From the data sheets for the stuff I'm looking at it is supposed to handle a continuous temperature of 158 degrees.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Industrial/Adhesives/Product/Catalog/Detail/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GJJ60IS8FSO6Q3GD3000000_nid=17MCXS8ZJ8beJNLB2JSBSGgl

Now some of the merchants I've seen mention it bonding to vinyl, but this data sheet doesn't  If it ends up not working out I'll pick up a solvent that does work and turn it into sew on pieces for the vest side.

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #49 on: Feb 18, 2012, 12:02 PM »
Good luck Captain!  I've read where a couple people overworked their sewing machine's motors from trying to sew thru the adhesive.  Just be careful if you try it. :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!