Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jark'osa's WIP - Current Stage:: Finished

• 149 Replies

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
Re: Jark'osa's WIP - Before Paint - Am I Ready to Paint?
« Reply #50 on: Feb 18, 2012, 06:18 PM »
Good luck Captain!  I've read where a couple people overworked their sewing machine's motors from trying to sew thru the adhesive.  Just be careful if you try it. :)

If I end up needing to sew it I'll get a solvent that'll work and remove the adhesive first to try to make it sew successfully.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #51 on: Feb 18, 2012, 06:44 PM »
It can be done, I didnt know of this until i was finished (2 yrs ago). All of the velcro on my kit is industrial adhesive velcro and the leather is heavy being an ex-UK police bike jacket.

It does gum up the needles and snap a few but not impossible. Partly the reason i riveted my chest plates on to the vest because i couldnt get through the leather even with thick needles. Or tbh my Mum couldnt LOL.

Never say never in this game, if its all youve got ! Ye just need to make do or adapt it ;)

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #52 on: Feb 21, 2012, 04:48 PM »
UPDATE!!  Just got my new helmet in, which appears to fit me much better than the old one did.  I think it should be perfect once I have the armor, suit, vest, and shoulder bells on.

What do you think?  I wanted to post these pictures before I start cutting out the visor area.  I plan on cutting the vent holes in the back for fan ventilation.  Also thinking about cutting out the inner ear cap strips and replacing with fabric, so I can hear better and stay cooler.  How do you think it'd look?

Next, I'm in debate whether to add Antenna(s) to the right ear cap, or leave it blank.  In one respect, it seems like it's missing something there... but at the same time, an antenna on this helm comes off a tad funny looking also.  See the pictures below and tell me what you think of each one:

Short rectangular antenna - pic 1

Short rectangular antenna - pic 2

Circular antenna

Long rectangular antenna - pic 1

Long rectangular antenna - pic 2

Long rectangular antenna - pic 3

Also considering a combination of each.  Note:  I have 2x each of the long and short rectangular antennas and 1x of the cylindrical one.

What do you guys think?  Antenna or no antenna?  Cut out earcap slots or no?  Do you agree that it should fit me?

Thanks all!

Jark'osa Hauza -- Mandalorian Gunslinger

Photos , Short Biography , Armor Build thread

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #53 on: Feb 21, 2012, 07:00 PM »
That helmet fits you beautifully. Now as far as the antenna, I would use the long rectangular one if any on the helmet. That is my personal opinion, but the helmet doesn't really need it. You could always try to do something similar to what Falin Skirata did on his Assassin helmet. He had a sliding range finder. You might try to message him for how he did it and see if he has pics to check out the idea.

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #54 on: Feb 21, 2012, 07:08 PM »
Out of curiosity, how did you just get an Assassin?
I want one, but DSB went on leave just before I became a member of the community

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #55 on: Feb 21, 2012, 08:25 PM »
That helmet fits you beautifully. Now as far as the antenna, I would use the long rectangular one if any on the helmet. That is my personal opinion, but the helmet doesn't really need it. You could always try to do something similar to what Falin Skirata did on his Assassin helmet. He had a sliding range finder. You might try to message him for how he did it and see if he has pics to check out the idea.

Wow, a sliding range finder sounds very cool.  I will have to ask him about this!  I agree with you that it doesn't really need one; I was just trying to think of ways to make it my own, without taking away from the look.  Thank you, Drak!

Ni'ka

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #56 on: Feb 21, 2012, 08:34 PM »
nice helmet, the sizing looks good to me! now let's get your wife over here so we can see what size helmet she needs! ;)

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #57 on: Feb 22, 2012, 03:04 AM »
Looks good mate, I used plastic chopsticks for antenna LOL I put them on the CoMando bucket, they are slim enough so that your not cutting much from the helmet. Just another option for you ;)

« Reply #58 on: Feb 22, 2012, 08:43 AM »
I agree, the helmet looks alot better in size. I kinda like the longer antenna if you use one at all, but I think that it doesn't need one. If it could slide up and down, that would be really cool. I imagine it would involve a slider inside the helmet behind the earcap. Perhaps the mechanism from an old slider cell phone?

I may have missed it mentioned before, but what colors are you planning? I'm trying to picture it all together to get the whole picture.

Can't wait to see your kit together & meet you either here in town or at the AP next month.

-Brandi

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #59 on: Feb 22, 2012, 03:42 PM »
Thank you guys for taking the time to give me your feedback.  I'm very happy with this one!

I may have missed it mentioned before, but what colors are you planning? I'm trying to picture it all together to get the whole picture.

-Brandi

The colors I'm going with are Dark Brown base paint, orange trim, and red trim.  My overall kit will be a mix of these colors plus some black (vest, neckseal, holsters, belts).  Trying to limit the orange to smaller areas of the outfit, as excessive brightness can be a real turn-off.  Still deciding what parts to paint each color.  Been using the Mando maker to get a general idea, but I've been having to look closely at other Mando photos to get a better detailed idea.

My visors just came in from RJSafety, and I wrote up a short comparison of the two I purchased, in case anyone is undecided on which to buy.  You can find the comparison here:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=48341.0

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #60 on: Feb 22, 2012, 08:35 PM »
That looks to be pretty good.  It might be a touch wide but not enough to make a difference.  Your shoulders are enough wider than mine that I bet it's right in the ballpark.

I love that bucket, excellent choice.  I plan on using a lot of it's design ideas in my next generation scratch build even though I need one a little narrower than the DSB.

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #61 on: Feb 27, 2012, 12:51 PM »
Here are the armor color schemes I'm toying with.  My flight suit is light/medium brown.  My holsters, neckseal, vest, belts, pouches, and all other soft parts are all black.  Definitely going dark brown base color on armor.  I'm left deciding between the two following color schemes:

Orange Visor trim & Gauntlets, red shoulders, red knees

Red Visor trim & Gauntlets, Dark Gray shoulders, Dark Gray Knees

I'm leaning towards the bottom one.

The shades aren't exact but relatively close... going for darker shades of the reds and oranges.

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2012, 02:40 PM by Kilryth » Logged

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #62 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:19 PM »
Just finished attaching the front half and sides of my vest with 5/8" heavy duty snaps.  I recessed the snaps so that the armor would fit closer to the vest.  I still have some minor heatmolding and shaping to do.  Planning on trimming some of the armor slightly also so it fits more evenly.

Any particular suggestions with regards to placement, shaping, and trimming?  I prefer not to re-place any pieces of armor, as it's difficult to line up with the snaps.  I am ok with some trimming and molding though.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #63 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:47 PM »
From that pic, sizing, shaping, spacing looks good!

tk2280

• 1st Official Kal Skirata of the Mercs & 501st
« Reply #64 on: Feb 27, 2012, 10:28 PM »
From that pic, sizing, shaping, spacing looks good!

Agreed.  Looks good.  Looking forward to what you do with it. Hope you are happy with it.

--- STILL THE LOWEST PRICED SINTRA ARMOR ON THE MERCS ---
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=19763.0
« Reply #65 on: Feb 27, 2012, 10:44 PM »
I think the second one is better. Its more subdued. Good work so far man.

-Brandi

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #66 on: Feb 28, 2012, 06:57 AM »
Looks good, But your collar plate needs straightning ;) .

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #67 on: Feb 28, 2012, 07:12 AM »
Looks like your on yer way bud, just the tweaks mentioned before and yer golden ;)

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #68 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:26 AM »
Thank you all!!  I rechecked the shoulder and collar sizing against the Jango templates to make sure they were good, and they are in-spec.  The camera angle & the way the vest is sitting must be making my left shoulder look further from the collar.

My left side of the collar definitely needs some lining up with the top of the left chest piece.  Going to work on this.  Hopefully some heat & a little trimming of the opposite side will fix this.  We'll see!!

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #69 on: Feb 28, 2012, 11:27 AM »
Echoing what's been said good sow so far. Keep it up you're well on your way to becoming official.
As for paint, option 2.

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #70 on: Feb 28, 2012, 12:42 PM »
Thanks Drak!  After looking at both for a day now, I've decided to go with paint Option #2.  I love the orange visor, but it is a bit too bright I suppose.  Now I gotta find that shade of gray and red. :)

I made another option, where I swapped the ear and cheek colors.  It's a subtle difference between the Charcoal Gray and the Black, so you may not notice it.   Not sure if I'll do it this way or not, but I figured I'd post it anyway.

« Reply #71 on: Feb 28, 2012, 01:23 PM »
I get most of my paint at Home Depot. They have a better selection there than other places I've looked that are near me. Walmart has alot, but they have the krylon with the weird sprayer on the nozzle. I tried it of another project and it was a pain in the shebs. I have been using Rustoleum for mine and Walon's plates, and it is working well, no orange peeling or bubbles.

-Brandi

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #72 on: Feb 28, 2012, 03:16 PM »
I get most of my paint at Home Depot. They have a better selection there than other places I've looked that are near me. Walmart has alot, but they have the krylon with the weird sprayer on the nozzle. I tried it of another project and it was a pain in the shebs. I have been using Rustoleum for mine and Walon's plates, and it is working well, no orange peeling or bubbles.

-Brandi

Thanks, Brandi!!  This is good news because I bought a bunch of Rustoleum primer, matte clearcoat, metallic, brown, red, and orange paint already from Lowe's lol.  I wonder if Home Depot offers the same Rustoleum paints as Lowe's, or if they're different.

I'll post the type of paints that I have as soon as I get a chance, so I can make sure they're ok. :)

I'm thinking about making a long, semi-loose Black V-cut Kama that will attach under my girth belt (so it looks like an extension of my vest).  It would only come around to the sides of my hips so that it doesn't get in the way of my leg-holsters.  It'd go as low as my shins, but the V-Cut would up to a little above the knee area.  Dante's trenchcoat from Devil May Cry is my inspiration for this, but I obviously wouldn't have the coat... just the bottom half & how it flows behind him.

What do you think?

« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2012, 03:59 PM by Kilryth » Logged

Re: Jark'osa's WIP - Current Stage:: Preparing for Paint
« Reply #73 on: Feb 28, 2012, 05:18 PM »
I like the idea for the kama. I haven't gotten all of my paints yet, just the base silver, the red for my plates, its almost a wine color, a nice dark red, green for some of my accents & for Walon's plates. I still have to buy the gold I'm going to use for my shoulders, knees, and T-Visor as well as clear coat. So far I have found I like the way my paint scheme is coming out, but with the weather and work, I don't have as much time to work on my kit as I'd like. So its slow going for us.

-Brandi

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
Re: Jark'osa's WIP - Current Stage:: Preparing for Paint
« Reply #74 on: Feb 28, 2012, 05:57 PM »
but with the weather and work, I don't have as much time to work on my kit as I'd like. So its slow going for us.

-Brandi

Yeah the weather is a bummer - we've been fighting sinus infections this week (woohoo...).  I've been dremeling indoors, but it sure does make a mess & I have to wear a respirator lol.  Vacuum to the rescue!

Here are the specific paints I've picked up:

Rustoleum Self Etching Primer  (Says it's good for max adhesion on bare metal, aluminum, and fiberglass)
2x Rustoleum Painters Touch Ultra Cover - Matte Clear

Rustoleum Metallic - Matte Nickel
Rustoleum Metallic - Antique Brass Metallic

Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel - Orange
Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel - Regal Red
Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel - French Roast
Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel - Black

Do you think the primer and these types of paints will work ok on Sintra, ABS, and Epoxy Resin??  I'd imagine as long as the primer adheres well - there should be no problem.  Not sure how well the primer works on these plastics.

Do you think I'll need more than one can of anything?  I'm used to painting smaller projects.

The red might work out... it looks dark but with a little brightness.  I may do another comparison in the store.  Going to need a darker gray, but it looks like the remaining colors will do well.. so long as they adhere properly!

BTW I picked these all up at Lowes.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!