Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Amount of Sintra

• 13 Replies
Amount of Sintra
« on: Mar 21, 2012, 10:57 AM »
Okay I know I ask alot of questions but.  I am trying to buy some sintra and was asked how much I need and I couldnt awnser.  I want to build a light to medium armor so what would a rough guess be for the amount that I might need?? The business that has it has 4' by 8' sheet for $105 and some scrapes that he doesnt know the price due to not knowing how much I need.  Im kinda on a tight budget like most of you so... any and all help as usual is apprciated and I am also trying to save for one of the ComMando buckets which is awesome and am dieing to get

I have too much blood in my caffine system
Re: Amount of Sintra
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2012, 12:03 PM »
Many people have said that 1 full 4x8 sheet will usually get you appx. 2 armor sets.easiest way to find out how much you need would be to print off all the templates you will use, line them up on the floor, and see how small of a box you can get them into. THat'd be your answer for ho much you actually need.

Sedavor Til

• The Mando With No Talent, I just Wing It
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2012, 01:25 PM »
Depends on your body build too, but i would say you could easily get 2 full sets and probably closer to 3.  When i got my Sintra i ordered sheets of 2x4. 1 sheet of that I could have easily pulled 2 light sets or 1 1/2 med sets. 

I would also suggest if ordering sintra online to go with the 2x4 sheets as they are cheaper to ship.  $105 also seems a bit expensive to me.  What thickness are you going for 3mm or 6mm?

All right. Where is the poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right... and who is dead.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2012, 02:50 PM »
I got a 2x4 piece of 6mil for $25 cash.  I will lay out my armor and see how it goes from there.  Hope i got it for a good deal lol

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2012, 02:53 PM »
I bought a 3mm, 4X8 sheet two years ago for $35.00. There is NO way the price has gone up that much! This guy is ripping you off, look elsewhere.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2012, 02:56 PM »
crap he told me it was 3 and change a sq ft so I went with it damn it   >:(

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2012, 03:01 PM »
crap he told me it was 3 and change a sq ft so I went with it damn it   >:(
We crossed post there, at 6mm, $25.00 isn't that bad, a 4X8 sheet should run you about $70.00 LOW END, so estimate a quarter of that and you are just a bit high.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2012, 03:07 PM »
oh okay thank goodness lol. I dont mind the little extra the shop is literally 2 miles from my house so...

Ref Al'drann

• Rohlan Dyre
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2012, 04:07 PM »
I dunno man, I still think you got ripped off. I payed $60 for a 4x8 sheet of 6mm sintra and it was even colored. When I saw $105 for a 4x8 sheet I couldn't believe my eyes. There's no way sintra is ever worth that much money. I hope you can get what you need out of a 4x2 sheet. It can be tricky getting the templates spaced out just right so you can maximize your material usage.

« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2012, 04:56 PM »
I think I might be okay with the size. Ive got both chest plates traced out the diamond belly and collar all on it and I still have 3/4 of it left. But thats also before cutting so well see where Im at after that. Now another question tools are limited so how hard is 6mm too cut with a box cutter? is there a dremel bit that you might recomend? 

Jerek Darr

« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2012, 05:36 PM »
Any rotary wheel will work, you can also use a razor knife, just make repeated shallow cuts, don't try to cut through in one go.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Sedavor Til

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2012, 06:29 PM »
6mm is gonna be rough to cut out by razor knife, i would suggest a dremel or such tool.

All right. Where is the poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right... and who is dead.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2012, 06:48 PM »
NO! Don't use a dremel on 6MM Sintra... you will execute the dremel. Seriously, killed a couple that way. Jigsaw is what you need. Seriously.

Sedavor Til

« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2012, 06:58 PM »
I stand corrected my bad

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!