Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mandalore the Preserver

• 32 Replies

Star-lord

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Mandalore the Preserver
« Reply #15 on: Apr 06, 2012, 01:23 AM »
Looks pretty good. I'm excited to see where this goes. :) I do have a couple critiques though. The dome is still a bit too angular for my tastes. And for the respirator, the bottom looks a little warped to me. I feel like it might be easier to get the right look with a small length of PVC pipe. Just my two cents though. You're definitely off to a good start.

im thinking the exact same thing but its nothing some 60 grit and a power sander cant fix though! haha

and i would recommend using pvc for the respirator, itd make it easier to attach a hose to in the future

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #16 on: Apr 06, 2012, 01:29 AM »
Cool Build , I'll be watching Anxiously .....  8)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #17 on: Apr 06, 2012, 02:14 AM »
definitely smooth out the dome before painting any more

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

CyraxLionheart

• Pepakura Guru
« Reply #18 on: Apr 06, 2012, 03:56 AM »
Agreed, It is going to result in a bit of tedium on my part, There are some curves to the helmet that pose certain problems. As for the Hose, I will have to do a cutaway for the portion closes to the chin, One of those Physical impossibilities that comes with 3d Models. my goal will be to erase the vertical "Pep Lines". I will probably leave certain rigid portion on the top unchanged as they are clearly part of the shape visible in reference.

Future - Mandalore the Preserver

CyraxLionheart

• Pepakura Guru
« Reply #19 on: Apr 06, 2012, 09:36 PM »
Cut away the Current Respirator and replaced it with a portion of PVC pipe

And here is an overview of the pieces I have assembled so far. Mostly Unglassed.

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2012, 04:41 AM by CyraxLionheart » Logged

CyraxLionheart

• Pepakura Guru
« Reply #20 on: Apr 08, 2012, 11:30 PM »
I think for the Shin guards given their size in proportion to the armor, I may glass them; and permanently affix them to a pair of boots.

Very similar to these:

http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Tingley-Economy-Boots-BLACK/dp/B000HHQ6LS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333942085&sr=8-1

But not patterned in any way. After glassing the outside, backfill with some Stuff-It and seal with Glue then bondo etc as needed.

Is there anything against having the armor portion permanently affixed to the boots? I would be doing the boot caps the same way.

CyraxLionheart

• Pepakura Guru
« Reply #21 on: Apr 10, 2012, 04:47 AM »
Without the Stuff it, but partially glassed. Printing the Right Shin now.

Cod'av Fehn

• I'm the tech guy. Call me "Code" for short.
« Reply #22 on: Apr 10, 2012, 06:24 AM »
Lookin good so far!

But like people have said, the smoother the better.
Currently it kinda looks like an outfit straight out of Deus Ex ;)

Click Like!-> CD Works

Hagen Nor'ak

• More then credits
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #23 on: Apr 10, 2012, 06:24 AM »
You need to stop holding out on the Neo Crusader chest pep my good Sir :P

Looking better and better all the time Cyrax. I'd recommend splitting the calf portion of the pep from the shins though for ease of armoring up. Maybe add an extra inch to the sides indented that can slide under the shins to give it a one piece look when wearing but also gives you something to attach your closer mechanism to.

Coming along nicely though, it will be nice to get our first Mandalor the Preserver in the club.

Have a good one,
Hagen

CyraxLionheart

• Pepakura Guru
« Reply #24 on: Apr 10, 2012, 06:47 AM »
Lookin good so far!

But like people have said, the smoother the better.
Currently it kinda looks like an outfit straight out of Deus Ex ;)

No doubt about it! This is the first phase, the 2nd phase requires a fiberglass Jelly Build up and finally a Bondo smooth finish

CyraxLionheart

• Pepakura Guru
« Reply #25 on: Apr 10, 2012, 07:04 AM »
You need to stop holding out on the Neo Crusader chest pep my good Sir :P

Updated! I had it already exported I just forgot it sitting in my pending folder. But! It is now unfolded. Working on the back.

CyraxLionheart

• Pepakura Guru
« Reply #26 on: Apr 13, 2012, 11:36 PM »
So, I have decided I need to modify the model file to allow for a smoother finish after unfold. Having said that, I will be painting the helm as is to see how it looks and continue on the rest of the armor.

CyraxLionheart

• Pepakura Guru
« Reply #27 on: Apr 14, 2012, 02:11 AM »
Can I get some feedback? Should I completely redo. Im kind of torn, as the actual shape of the helmet is unique, and pulled direct from the game files.

Jobatt

• Goes where the money leads.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #28 on: Apr 14, 2012, 06:06 AM »
Personally I think you should continue working on rounding out the helmet. Pretty sure the angles are only because of the graphic limitations, and not because they were intended. It's definitely coming along, I just thing you need to spend more time on the dome. Right now it feels too, well, paper crafty.

Jobatt M'dano - http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=49720.0
Mando 0571 -  Events Trooped: 3 Unofficial, 17 Official

CyraxLionheart

• Pepakura Guru
« Reply #29 on: Apr 14, 2012, 06:48 AM »
To be honest, the shape of the top of the helmet is part of what has drawn me to the costume. Additionally, it is almost impossible to round it out more and preserve the overall shape of the helmet. I can see how you might consider it unsightley.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!