Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bug becomes Jetpack

• 25 Replies
Bug becomes Jetpack
« on: Apr 01, 2012, 06:39 PM »
Found this at a flea market today:

Snagged it for $12.

Here it is once disasembled:

Lot of good stuff in it. Perhaps the most important thing I plan to get out of it is a jetpack. It's a bit on the small side, but I think it has real potential. I'll be using the main body and the drum from its butt gun (Its a gun from its butt. I am not made of stone.) I plan on attaching some sort of fuel tanks to the sides, to add some mass and use the holes where the legs used to be.

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Bug becomes Jetpack
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2012, 07:05 PM »
That's....kind of tiny. Is that going to be big enough to look like it'll actually lift you off of the ground?

Mom2Mando

• Verda Buir
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2012, 07:24 PM »
Love it.  If it's too small, there are many lady mandos who would take it off your hands... ;)

Teresa -  Verda Buir   (and son Dha Buruk)
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2012, 07:29 PM »
That's....kind of tiny. Is that going to be big enough to look like it'll actually lift you off of the ground?

Like I said, I plan to bulk it up some. The packs in TOR tend to be pretty small as well, so there may be a canon basis for a small pack.

Maybe just re-label it as a jump pack? Whatever the case, I'll see what I can do and if it's too small, it's too small...

Love it.  If it's too small, there are many lady mandos who would take it off your hands... ;)

Hm. Or profit...

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2012, 07:58 PM »
Oh, so you're making an Old Republic Mando?

« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2012, 09:29 PM »
No, just looking to a canon source for there being jetpacks of smaller size than the Boba/Jango style.

Cando Pax

• Legacy
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2012, 10:13 PM »
Hmm...don't know if the small KOTOR era jet packs can be used on Modern or Legacy era, but really I don't see any reason why not. Maybe check the source material and see if there is a small jet pack for the era of your armor, just to make sure you're covered. :)

« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2012, 10:15 PM »
that is a great score those things go for like $100 Im a bit jealous

I have too much blood in my caffine system

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2012, 11:31 PM »

I'll say one thing, Commander Cody jump pack.

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com
« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2012, 08:08 AM »
We bought two of those years ago for 50% off, the only problem is that their guns don't work. I never decided whether to try and fix up the guns or try and add new features to the bugs, but I love what you're doing here with it.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2012, 02:37 PM »
I'll say one thing, Commander Cody jump pack.

that's exactly what i was thinking when i saw it. Great Find Vod ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2012, 03:15 PM »
Very cool , can't wait to see more .....  ;D

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Hagen Nor'ak

• More then credits
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Apr 03, 2012, 04:52 AM »
Deffinetly has potential, what is the actual size of the main body, 8-10 inches by 12 or so?

Have a good one,
Hagen

P.S. Whats the brand name of the thing? I think I want to try to find one now.

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2012, 04:55 AM by Hagen Nor'ak » Logged
« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2012, 09:30 AM »
Deffinetly has potential, what is the actual size of the main body, 8-10 inches by 12 or so?

Have a good one,
Hagen

P.S. Whats the brand name of the thing? I think I want to try to find one now.

It's 8.5" x 12", and it's by Tyco RC.

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #15 on: Apr 03, 2012, 04:03 PM »
if worse comes to worse, it makes a good backpack. scout trooper packs are about that small.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Cando Pax

• Legacy
« Reply #16 on: Apr 03, 2012, 05:15 PM »
^ Good point :)

Klynn Targh

• Fan favorite Wampa
  • Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #17 on: Apr 04, 2012, 09:11 PM »
either way, a good find!

Aliit orishya taldin.
« Reply #18 on: Apr 06, 2012, 06:38 PM »
It may look a little small but I think it looks awesome. You could put two side by side and have four jets? Haha.

Klynn Targh

• Fan favorite Wampa
  • Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #19 on: Apr 07, 2012, 12:05 AM »
what about two of the bug, cut off one "jet" side on each(left on one, right on the other) and you would have a spaced pack.  I love the look either.  I might want to marry this 'pack idea.

Aliit orishya taldin.

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #20 on: Apr 21, 2012, 09:43 AM »
I saw one of these at a thrift store near me and was so close to buying it, but I already had 2 jetpacks in the making so I decided I didn't need it.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0
« Reply #21 on: Sep 20, 2012, 05:09 AM »
I have the blue bug like that and im relativly small (5'5") so i think if i mod this up alot itll work as a full size pack for me due to my small size

« Reply #22 on: Nov 23, 2012, 11:05 AM »
I think it´s a great idea... I want one!!! :)

« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2012, 06:03 PM »
Since I´m making an assassin I think this is going to be and awesome Jump pack for my mando. I already bought one of this bugs to make the conversion.  :D

rane

• Kodo Seht
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2013, 04:50 PM »
I'm sort of horrified...like we just wore the same suit to the prom or something, lol. 

I found the same thing at a thrift store over a year ago and am using part of it as my pack, too.  Mine is pretty cannibalized at this point, though, just the 30 percent of it will be built into the backplate.  I'm small, but it's still going to fit like a small sniper pack that's locked into the plate. 

At first it looked easy to use, but it's become fairly complicated on my end.  Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!