Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

first helmet WIP... here we go

• 8 Replies
first helmet WIP... here we go
« on: Apr 29, 2012, 11:04 PM »
Hi all, just wanted to make a thread about working on my first helmet. I'm a novice when it comes to any kind costuming. and i know i'm gonna have a lot of questions and issues.

so i havent taken very many pictures cause i'm dumb but heres the helmet, its a CC jango by Asok.

I've trimmed off the bottom excess and cut out the visor. (pictures coming soon) but my first question is, i put my visor in just to see how it would look and it does not sit flush at all, i started sanding things down to try and make it flat but i feel like it would make sections very thin. what would you suggest to fill in some shallow areas to smooth out the inside of the helmet so the visor will sit flush against the mask?

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
Re: first helmet WIP... here we go
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 01:32 PM »
Most visors will have gaps mate, dont sweat it. Just get it as flush as you can with a sanding drum on a dremmel.

pyromastermuaddib

• Dark Smokepuncher
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 10:02 AM »
As long as it is close you won't notice once the visor is in and your heads in the bucket, the gaps will be dark and they'll blend in with the visor.

I would just like everyone to know that I suck... And that I'm a girl... And I like ribbons in my hair... And I want to kiss all the boys.

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 02:20 PM »
It's actually preferrable to have some gaps in between the visor, it helps with air flow.  As long as from the outside you can't really see into the helmet (from looking straight on) you are ok.

I actually bent and glued my visor down completely to my helmet, filled in gaps too...and I have no airflow whatsoever.  It's something I plan NOT to do on my current new helmet project.

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 05:41 PM »
thanks Tag, thats an interesting thought. i guess i just thought that having gaps between the helmet and visor would look really bad

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked. See Signature.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 09:43 PM »
dont worry about that mate. It dose help with air flow.

Viciousvestments (Cecil Anthony Fuson) has had his membership revoked due to "Undisclosed Criminal History" (MMCC Bylaws:  Section 2, Major Offenses, Paragraph 8. ).  If you have outstanding sales issues with him that warrant legal action, it is suggested that you consult with local law enforcement agencies.

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Sistine Chest Plate - Official Member with most intricate paint job Open Seasons Death Watch Brigade MEmber Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 09:32 AM »
Again, as long as the visor is large enough that you can't see your face underneath from any angle, you're all set.  I only glue down the three tips of the T and I have 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch gap along all the edges-- believe me, it looks JUST fine and makes you way more comfortable!

-Abby Lusk (MMCC Official Member #81)
Quartermaster for the MMCC 2009-May 2013

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 10:20 AM »
If you're doing a standard shape visor, you should have no problems. Different shapes will be harder, such as mine - the extra cutout isn't as thick as the normal T cutout areas so unmodded looks a little odd and has large gaps. What I did to get around this was to:

Cut the visor itself pretty close to the exact size of the cutout
Sand down the higher spots on the inside
Use some filler on the inside

And this is the big thing: Painted the inside edge of the visor matte black. Any remaining gap (And there was some, and as has been said that's a good thing) now doesn't show up half as bad as before because of that one little detail :)

I've got two Asok CC helmets sitting near me just now, they're excellent. You've certainly made a good purchase.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 03:51 PM »
Thanks for all the input Vode! I guess I was just concerned because I thought gaps would be unprofessional looking, but if the general consensus is that it really isnt noticeable, that calms the nerves haha. and origin, i know made a good purchase, Asok's work is amazing! once again, thanks for the help!   

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!