Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

I got my GB Helmet! So now what...?

• 36 Replies
I got my GB Helmet! So now what...?
« on: Apr 09, 2012, 10:22 PM »
Ok.  I got my awesome GBMando in the mail... 

So, I cut out the visor "T"...

And did a bit of sanding on the bottom.  So now what? 

Does anyone have a good example or tutorial of how the ear/rangefinder go? 

And those little vent looking things in the back, do I cut them out?

Lastly, there is some mesh around the bottom that didn't look like it got completely covered...  Do I need to bondo it up or anything?

Buy'ce: 95%
Weapons loadout: 75%
Beskar'gam: 90%
Soft parts: 95%

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: I got my GB Helmet! So now what...?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2012, 10:25 PM »
Looks like an excellent helmet.

Depends on what sort of kit you got for them, I imagine it's as simple as gluing the pieces on.
Not sure what GB supplies for the RF as to if you can make it swivel.

Personal preference if you wish to cut out the keyslots at the back, seems about half do, half don't.

Unless the mesh texture bothers you, I don't see any reason to bondo over it. It's not going to be visibly noticeable when you're wearing the helmet.

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2012, 12:31 AM »
Ah...  And so now I find out that I shouldn't have cut the visor "T" until I was ready to install the visor.

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2012, 02:11 AM »
And inside, I am going to try to keep it simple, and use some industrial strength velcro, and just use the pads from the inside of my army helmet (that has pads that just stick to velcro)

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2012, 03:49 AM »
One benefit of cutting the slots is airflow, also just cover the visor in masking tape and install till you get the bucket finished.

« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2012, 04:10 AM »
I've got a GB fall 08 BF bucket. He told me to wash it really good and make sure it was totally dry before doing anything with it. He had a thread somewhere on the forum about how to prepare the helmet...but it's possible it got eaten. Lucky you, you didn't get one with the dent in the noggin  :rolleyes: lol

Before you start painting make sure to give it a nice but not too rough sanding, a quick wash and dry then prime it. I forget the kind I used. It came out military green grey when dried but worked really good.

I cut out my visor before I painted too lol I found it was...prudent thing to do, and filled in the open space with tape like Kel mentioned.

Good luck!

Aden Catra - The Rage of the Night Sky

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2012, 04:13 AM »
I cut out my T before paint too, lets you paint the inside edge of the visor area.

« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2012, 04:21 AM »
Exactly, unless you plan on doing the areas around the visor by hand like I did. All the purple, blue and black on my kit is all hand painted acrylic... Imho though, hand painting does have a benifit. You can get much better detail than you can with just spraying on with a stencil or using tape...

Anyways... If ya need more help, just ask :)

« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2012, 09:45 AM »
Speaking of visors...  What would you recommend?  I have seen bikerchick recommended a lot, and #5 shade shields recommended...  I want one that my face will not be seen, but would also like to be able to see SOME indoors.

« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2012, 11:11 AM »
I bought a replacement clear safety visor from Ace hardware. I made a pattern and cut the puppy out. But I got stuck with having to need tinting. If you can avoid the last part, tinting, go for it! I might upgrade to that too. But I'm unsure how it will take to being heated and shaped. That's something someone else will have to answer.

Speaking of pattern...wonder where the heck it went... Anyway, you'll have to make a pattern yourself (oh, real fun... lol). It'll look like a really fat "T" with the underside of the "-" part angling upward. I'm unsure if other bucket visors are shaped like that...

Hoped this helped a little.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2012, 12:33 PM »
#5 welding shield, easy to cut and install. Cheap and looks black from the outside, I will never use anything else.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2012, 01:12 PM »
I always paint my helmet after cutting the visor out.

What I think the advice really pertains to, is that if you drop your helmet, it's far more likely to break when there's no visor installed as it doesn't lend to the structural integrity of the helmet.

Just be extra careful with it until the visor is in  ;)

« Reply #12 on: Apr 10, 2012, 02:38 PM »
I always paint my helmet after cutting the visor out.

What I think the advice really pertains to, is that if you drop your helmet, it's far more likely to break when there's no visor installed as it doesn't lend to the structural integrity of the helmet.

Just be extra careful with it until the visor is in  ;)

That is not an issue...  That thing is my baby...  I will probably also just take some masking tape, and attach a piece of cardboard on the inside to make it a bit more sturdy.  Then, I can just pull the cardboard after painting. 

Omega

• Thread Killer
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #13 on: Apr 10, 2012, 03:03 PM »
Speaking of visors...  What would you recommend?  I have seen bikerchick recommended a lot, and #5 shade shields recommended...  I want one that my face will not be seen, but would also like to be able to see SOME indoors.

well, if your looking for cost effective and that "I made it myself"  Check out my Scratch build visor thread: 

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=49812.0

Killing threads since 2013
« Reply #14 on: Apr 10, 2012, 04:23 PM »
for the visor i used a fibre-metal shade 5 faceshield. i dont know about everyone else, but i bondo'd the earpieces on, and filled the gap between the helmet and top right piece with bondo as well, sanded it down so it was more or less even, then sealed all the visible bondo with jb weld epoxy. (the epoxy seems to smooth itself out into an even smooth coat, and its harder than bondo). then i propmtly screwed up the paint job.

Saz

• Hodor'alor
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #15 on: Apr 14, 2012, 06:21 PM »
The mesh is just fiber matting that hasn't totally clung to the shell, I would, as a precaution throw a smooth layer of bondo over there, especially near the edges as the bucket can chip without the full backing there.

Your bucket needs washing because no doubt the helmet has been cut to the tideline (the neck of the plug) and will have had some preliminary dust and gunk on it, it's a precaution to ensure that the paint sticks to the bucket.

Apart from that, be patient, wait a full day before going to the next layer, I would also use heat on the bucket to seal the paint if it is a car spray paint.

Apply primer, rub back with wet and dry, then spray again, that should give you a lovely surface to start your painting.

Finally, it's your choice to cut out the keyslots, but, as Kel says, many do, just to help airflow.

Helmet builder and custom Maker, PM me for details or click here.

ITYS Counter now at 177.
« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2012, 11:46 PM »
The mesh is just fiber matting that hasn't totally clung to the shell, I would, as a precaution throw a smooth layer of bondo over there, especially near the edges as the bucket can chip without the full backing there.

Your bucket needs washing because no doubt the helmet has been cut to the tideline (the neck of the plug) and will have had some preliminary dust and gunk on it, it's a precaution to ensure that the paint sticks to the bucket.

Apart from that, be patient, wait a full day before going to the next layer, I would also use heat on the bucket to seal the paint if it is a car spray paint.

Apply primer, rub back with wet and dry, then spray again, that should give you a lovely surface to start your painting.

Finally, it's your choice to cut out the keyslots, but, as Kel says, many do, just to help airflow.

Not using car paint...  Using the high end rustoleum offering as the base coat/color.  Primer+paint, and had good experience with it on regular plastic when I did up my wife's Babydoll .45... 

I think I will probably cut out the keyslots then.  Do I need to cover them on the inside if I do?

« Reply #17 on: Apr 21, 2012, 05:21 PM »
Ok, so, been working my sheb off on the buy'ce:

the visor cut out...

the ear pieces attached...

the keyholes cut...

the inside bondo'd

About to go start laying down basecoats of Rustoleum universal "dark steel"

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #18 on: Apr 21, 2012, 05:31 PM »
No need to cover the vent at the back mate, some folk use mesh or the printed circuit board. Most paint the inside black then its not a problem. Do you have the top part of the right earcap and RF ? just wondered.

« Reply #19 on: Apr 21, 2012, 05:51 PM »
I do have the top piece of the earcap (but no RF or stalk), and not sure what I am going to eventually do higher up on it...  So, have left it off for now.  Already planned on covering the inside of the keyholes probably with some kind of mesh or screen in order to still allow some air. 

« Reply #20 on: Apr 21, 2012, 06:04 PM »
Got my base coats down...

Next is wet sanding the base with 600 grit, applying liquid masking for weathering, and laying the black coat down over the base...

« Reply #21 on: Apr 24, 2012, 09:35 PM »
And I have continued to work on my buy'ce, wet sanding the metallic prime coat, spot liquid masking, and now laying down a base coat of black.  I should have taken more shots after I touched it up a bit to get rid of some of the orange peeling, but am not too concerned about it, seeing as how 1.) they are supposed to look worn,  2.) the only part remaining actually black are the keyholes and cheeks, everything else will either be navy blue or light grey...  and 3.) the weathering and matte clearcoat at the end should make any OPing invisible.

« Reply #22 on: Apr 24, 2012, 11:13 PM »
...and after my primer coat and black basecoat...  I am amazed at just how heavy it is starting to get...  I never really thought about how much paint weighs.

Adenn Kyram

• There is no such thing as overkill only efficiency
« Reply #23 on: Apr 24, 2012, 11:32 PM »
Yep paint adds quite a bit of extra  weight . But makes the brain buckets look great tho.  :D

M.A. #16-24er , EMTS #90 , M.A.J.I.C. #086 , M5SP #13 , M.A.D # 27 , E.R.A #13 , K.O.M.S#008 , B.O.M.B #19
« Reply #24 on: Apr 25, 2012, 12:54 AM »
did you mean to leave off the rangefinder mount? mine is epoxied on and filled the gap with bondo.
[edit] nevermind, i should read the whole thread first. doh![/edit]

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2012, 12:58 AM by khoweyEMT » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!