Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mand'alor's "H.W.A.P" (Heavy Weapons Assault Pack).

• 37 Replies

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
So my "H.W.A.P" started off as 2 tool boxes and an Alice Pack frame.  I wanted to go with something big, yet lite enough so I could wear it for a prolonged amount of time.  With that in mind, I decided to go with mostly plastic parts and keep the metal to as few things as possible.  Also, I wanted to be able to store items in the pack (practical purposes FTW!) so I don't have to carry them on me all day. 

The lower box was from my old Dremel XPR400 that I used in 2007.

The upper box was from my Porter Cable portable drill.

I removed the lower back piece from an Alice pack frame, and drilled holes through the frame where the boxes were going to sit.  Then I drilled corresponding holes in the boxes, and used tie-wraps to hold the boxes onto the frame (Episode VI Sandtrooper pack style).  That gave me a good foundation to work up from at that point. 

First thing I did was decide what to do with the removable dremel attachment storage boxes on the dremel box.  High-Explosive Mine popped into my head.  I sanded off the Dremel logo, and filled in the recessed logo on the sides.  Then I found some rubber telephone buttons and cut holes to match.  Painted up both boxes first, then attached the buttons.  I then wired up a 7-cycle blinking LED circuit to one of the buttons on each box. 

Each button push activates one of the 7 blinking cycles, but you have to know which button to push or nothing happens.  =)

Next thing I had to figure out was what to do with the top of the pack.  I wanted to keep it Star Warsy, so I decided to go with more square boxes.  I had a couple of plastic computer case parts boxes, so I painted them up and attached them to the top box via tie-wraps.  It looked a little to "blah", so I had some small water gun tanks that a Talon Clan recruit had donated that looked just like missile cones.  I cut holes just big enough to squeeze them through yet stay secured, and painted them up. 

So then the next thing I had to decide was if I wanted my "Assault mode" to be grounded, or have some sort of flight ability.  I looked around the shop and realized I had some old resin jetpack nozzle couplings from an old Boba pack.  I used my metal jetpack patterns and fabricated some nice metal nozzle cones, then attached them using screws and epoxy to the couplings.  Then I had to figure out the tank. Since these tanks were going to be exposed, I needed something stronger than Monster drink cans.  I have lots of empty oxygen bottles from my micro-welder, and those looked perfect.  So I ground off the hose nipple, and use JB weld/Bondo to fill in the hole.  Then I drilled a hole big enough to fit the nozzle assembly in, and 4 smaller holes on the opposite side to attach it to the pack (via tie-wraps). 

Once I attached the tanks/thrusters, I stepped back and took a good look at the pack.  It needed something to bring it to life, and since I didn't want to put a heavy CO2 gas system in this one like my Jetpack, I opted for adding electronics instead.  I found an old HP Ipaq that work had decommissioned several years ago.  It runs Windows CE, has wireless internet, and runs MS Powerpoint.  So I figured I could make a slide show that cycled through images or animations, and shortly there after I was Google.com bound looking for techy images/.gif animations.  I stumbled on a really neat set of animations to use; a bio-meter that does a vitals signs scan, a communications scanner, a planetary system map, and a power reactor readout.  I dumped these all into a timed powerpoint presentation that let them cycle one after the other.  Then I built a custom box out of sintra to hold the Ipaq, and made openings for the buttons and charging cord hook-up. 

At that point, I was happy...but not completely happy.  The fuel tanks weren't as stable as I liked, so I added a heavier tie-wrap to around the tank for a more secure attachment to the box.  Then I needed to fill the empty areas on each side of the computer with something that was removable (so I could recharge the on-board) computer.  So I had a couple of these tiny Dremel boxes lying around doing absolutely nothing...when lo and behold they fit those empty areas perfectly.  So I sanded off the Dremel logo and glued Sintra pieces to the top/front to give them a different look than the mines.  Then I painted them up to match the missile boxes.  Then I painted up everything that hadn't already been painted, and weathered the thruster tanks/nozzles. 

Voila!  The "HWAP" was born.

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Mand'alor's "H.W.A.P" (Heavy Weapons Assault Pack).
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2012, 03:44 PM »
That really is pretty darn cool :).

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2012, 03:49 PM »
Thanks!

Once I get the 3 part harness system put on, I'll get pics of that.  I'm using old seat belts (found several matching sets in my dad's basement) so it can be gotten into and out of quickly and easily. 

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2012, 03:51 PM »
That's some heavy duty pack  :D  ;) .

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2012, 04:21 PM »
That Looks cool ;) Love the Missiles on the top. ;D

Personally im not a fan of the Ipaq i just think it would look a lot better if the buttons where covered, it would look less like an Ipaq.

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2012, 06:15 PM »
Nisa work there boyo!  ;D

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2012, 06:16 PM »
I'm in the process of making a button cover for the nav buttons.  I just can't covering everything since it still has to be charged, and unfortunately there just isn't a good way to recess it into the pack (trust me, I looked at several different options).

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2012, 10:18 AM »
BEAST!!

Looks very good sir!

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2012, 10:27 AM »
Just brilliant, looks heavy. Love the missiles, minted.

Dral Buurenaar

• Dralkotep Cyareakaan
« Reply #10 on: Apr 27, 2012, 10:54 AM »
This pack is pure genius! Love it!

Ship: Burk'yc bora [Risky Business]
Co-pilot: N8-R10 [Nate Arten]
Manda'galaar / MA#045

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2012, 05:49 AM »
I'm in the process of making a button cover for the nav buttons.  I just can't covering everything since it still has to be charged, and unfortunately there just isn't a good way to recess it into the pack (trust me, I looked at several different options).

Im sure that whatever you do will look Awesome Boss ;) it was just the buttons that i didn't really like

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2012, 12:29 PM »
big fan. love those missiles  :o 

Rokeim Gekla

• Hasn't defiled in a while
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #13 on: Apr 29, 2012, 09:32 AM »
I dont see a frother or flavor spout... cappuccino machine FAIL ! :-P

Looks pretty B.A. !!! :-D

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #14 on: Apr 29, 2012, 10:05 AM »
That's because it's a Slurpee dispenser! I really like the splodies on top, remind me more of  short range mortars than missles.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Ran

• Not the crown makes the king.
« Reply #15 on: Apr 30, 2012, 06:02 PM »
I want to see that on you ;D

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread
"Can your science explain the magic of rainbows?"
"Light defraction through moisture in the atmosphere."
"... It's a sad world you live in."

Dar'manda

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 10:43 AM »
Except for what Niabi mentioned, this pack is equal to kandosii! Are you going to show us the slideshow? Cause I'd like to use that *cough'stealingideas'cough* :P

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 02:45 PM »
Can we call it "Targeted Heavy Weapons Assult Pack" just for the simple pleasure of calling it a "TWHAP"? LOL  Similar to the sound of Novall smacking the back of my helmet at this exact moment?

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 02:48 PM »
Can we call it "Targeted Heavy Weapons Assult Pack" just for the simple pleasure of calling it a "TWHAP"? LOL  Similar to the sound of Novall smacking the back of my helmet at this exact moment?

HA!  :laugh:

Tal'Falco

• My Client, My Target..Neither live long
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 11:27 AM »
Looks like a kenmore fridge lol....now that's what I call cold fusion

Rest In Peace Remo Jadd..

Miss Troll Tuesday? Follow the link http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70820.0

Tal'Falco

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 11:29 AM »
But joking aside its awesome looking and looks like you'll have a workout everytime you wear it

Miss Troll Tuesday? Follow the link http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70820.0

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 12:33 PM »
  :o  OMG ! !  ....... hahahahha 

I love this ...  ;D 

You never cease to amaze Mand'alor ......  8)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 02:26 PM »
It's actually lighter than my metal jetpack.  I look forward to being able to wear it  :).

But joking aside its awesome looking and looks like you'll have a workout everytime you wear it

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 09:51 PM »
Here's a short youtube vid showing how the pack's CPU works and cycles through the ops screens.

Tal'Falco

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 10:14 AM »
Lmao it has everything! You sure there's no fridge

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!