Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My SWTOR Build WIP :)

• 135 Replies
My SWTOR Build WIP :)
« on: May 01, 2012, 01:54 AM »
So, here is my first WIP and I am so excited to finish it :) I have already been working on it for a bit, and have been procastinating on starting a thread for a bit, so here it is. I've been working with 3mm sintra.

My chest piece was based off from Shae Vizla's chest piece. I'm not very good with sketches, but this may be taking more the shape of just a TOR build. I purchased a long sleeved unitard (lol that word just kinda makes me laugh) and I should get it by Wednesday, along with 50 feet of 1" Nylon and clips. I've still got alot to do. And I think as far as the helmet is concerned, I mostly am interested in the new TOR helmet that Falin has been working on. I'm hoping to use that bucket for this kit.

« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2012, 10:12 AM by AkaaraDira » Logged

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: My 1st build WIP :)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 01:56 AM »
ummmmm ..... I can't see anything ....  *Crap*  :-\ 

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 02:05 AM »
There we go... took me a sec to figure out the image thing

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:12 AM by AkaaraDira » Logged

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 08:46 AM »
Now that's better .......  ;D

Nice Work so far ..... I like what I see .... Well done Vod ....  8)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 10:00 AM »
Looks like you've made a substantial start here, nice work so far :).

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Calo Ordoa

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 10:23 AM »
Looks like a pretty good start, vod'ika! I only have one word of advice, though...

GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEBLIEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Jaro

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 10:25 AM »
Looking good to me! The helmet Falin is making is looking really good. I think it will fit this kit perfectly!

K'raysh Cadera

• Hade ni Ikuze
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 11:09 AM »
I'm recommending using the Neo-Crusader CRLs as a loose set of guidelines, keeping in mind that TOR era doesn't have it's own set of CRLs yet.

Mandalorian Merc #427

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 01:39 PM »
A better bet would actually be the Late Era Crusader guidelines. Neo-Crusader allows virtually no room for customization; this set as stands is already substantially different from the NC look. The time period that the game is set in falls under the Late Era timeframe, but there is everything from LE Crusaders, NC's, Modern era and even Early Era Crusader inspired armor shown so far, both in-game and in promotional footage/stills. It's sort of 'out of canon' as far as costume rules go, so any costume inspired by it is going to be judged by the CRLs that it most closely fits.

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 02:02 PM »
the mandalorian armor from TOR has to fit in somewhere, kinda like SWG armor fits in with modern. there are certainly enough photo references for a canon mandalorian (mandalore the vindicated) and the troops in TOR with their varying chestplates and helmets. beyond those two differences (helmets with or without mandibles, and chest plates with or without the hose coming from backpack to left chest) they are all the same.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 02:11 PM »
I've made some new templates for shin and thigh armor that fit into the "TOR" era a little better, and I'll post pictures of them tonight. They look more like Shae Vizla's thighs and shins. I'll also hopefully be adding a backplate (with jetpack) soon too. Its all in the works. And I intend on adding a hose that reaches from the chest piece to the jetpack.

Not quite sure what to do about the gaunts. I bought a set of clam shell gaunts a few weeks back from TK2280 (they're not here yet though), but I'm not sure if they'll work with the kit???

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 02:28 PM »
the mandalorian armor from TOR has to fit in somewhere, kinda like SWG armor fits in with modern. there are certainly enough photo references for a canon mandalorian (mandalore the vindicated) and the troops in TOR with their varying chestplates and helmets. beyond those two differences (helmets with or without mandibles, and chest plates with or without the hose coming from backpack to left chest) they are all the same.

Be a better question for Falin and the App Team, but from what I've seen of the gameplay images, all of the mandalorians fit the Late Era CRLs, though the timeframe is technically post Neo-Crusader. Given that the NC era was very brief, essentially one Mandalore's attempt to form a uniform, cohesive army that was destroyed by Revan, it isn't far-fetched to think that many of the mandos that survived to rebuild would fall back on the older, custom armor style. Conjecture, sure, but a best-guess scenario.

Not quite sure what to do about the gaunts. I bought a set of clam shell gaunts a few weeks back from TK2280 (they're not here yet though), but I'm not sure if they'll work with the kit???

If they're the ones I'm thinking of, all you'll really have to do is fill in the squares on the bottom shell (as those are iconic of Fett style modern gaunts) and add some custom greebles and such for flavor.

Dar'manda

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 02:36 PM »
The thing is, if it doesn't fit a current CRL, but it exists and there are at this point significant references for it, then we need a new CRL lol

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 02:51 PM »
The thing is, if it doesn't fit a current CRL, but it exists and there are at this point significant references for it, then we need a new CRL lol

So I could be one of the first of my kind?! lol

Dar'manda

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 03:37 PM »
So I could be one of the first of my kind?! lol

With this game, there will likely be an influx of these kinds of costumes. We should be prepared for it since it is so popular, and basing a costume off a video game character isn't a new thing, so I expect there are many people who will be finishing their WIPs for these that have already begun.

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 09:42 PM »
Small update...

Went to Goodwill and found a few things...

Wasnt expecting to find these, but I think they're perfect, and they fit me snugly.

And cut a few shapes into my chest piece accordingly...

And cut out, sanded, and first coat of prime on backplate...

I also found an attachment for the hose on my chest piece and will be checking that for size, as well as potential jetpack pieces. Will post more soon :)

K'raysh Cadera

• Hade ni Ikuze
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 09:54 PM »
Since your shin armor goes all the way around, those seem like a good choice for footwear.
And I like the details on the chest piece.

Mandalorian Merc #427
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 10:36 AM »
Update:

Got my unitard in the mail :) I'll be trying it on for size this afternoon and will post pics. I also got my 1" thick 50 feet of nylon strapping in the mail and the buckles to go with.

Also, I tested out a cool new paint on a few of my finished pieces. It's a "hammered" paint... anyone have experience with this paint type????

I glued on the second layer to my chest piece. I'll be adding bondo behind the top portion that sticks out. I was going to add a piece of sintra behind the arrows, but decided to hold off becasue I want to put red LED's behind it. So, just holding off on what to do with that. More photos to come.

My new thighs... I need to reshape them though I thinksy...

Another pic of my backplate, primed.

Jaro

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 10:38 AM »
I haven't used hammered paint on my mando, but that's what I used on my Witch-King of Angmar costume. I like the stuff!

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 10:51 AM »
I owuld say going for a canon character who's armor looks smooth and sleak, don't use the hammered paint. It will reduce accuracy of appearance of your build.

Personally, I think it's neat stuff but, I don't care for it in the club except maybe for Early Crusader builds which are supposed to look like rough hewn metal and bone armor. Everything else in every other era is smooth and clearly superiorly smithed. Even the folks who make their armor from metal planish it to take away the hammer marks.

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked. See Signature.
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 10:55 AM »
its a cool paint but is prone to ceay chips and pills even with plastic primer. Small highlight areas are good, But you wont want a whole suit of it.

Viciousvestments (Cecil Anthony Fuson) has had his membership revoked due to "Undisclosed Criminal History" (MMCC Bylaws:  Section 2, Major Offenses, Paragraph 8. ).  If you have outstanding sales issues with him that warrant legal action, it is suggested that you consult with local law enforcement agencies.
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 11:00 AM »
I owuld say going for a canon character who's armor looks smooth and sleak, don't use the hammered paint. It will reduce accuracy of appearance of your build.

Personally, I think it's neat stuff but, I don't care for it in the club except maybe for Early Crusader builds which are supposed to look like rough hewn metal and bone armor. Everything else in every other era is smooth and clearly superiorly smithed. Even the folks who make their armor from metal planish it to take away the hammer marks.

Thanks for the input, I'll take a trip to HD later today and get a different metallic. Any suggestions?

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked. See Signature.
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 11:01 AM »
paint is a little cheaper at walmart.

Viciousvestments (Cecil Anthony Fuson) has had his membership revoked due to "Undisclosed Criminal History" (MMCC Bylaws:  Section 2, Major Offenses, Paragraph 8. ).  If you have outstanding sales issues with him that warrant legal action, it is suggested that you consult with local law enforcement agencies.

Rokeim Gekla

• Hasn't defiled in a while
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 11:14 AM »
So far i like this build,  the TOR aspect is fresh and new and as far as i'm aware, nobody has tried any sort of Shae-inspired built (i could be wrong..but meh..)  The only thing i dont like is the backplate.  It looks VERY plain and blocky compared to the rest of the kit.

Perhaps adding a layer of detail pieces, and perhaps some cutouts ?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!