Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Alta-Legacy Wip

• 398 Replies

Alta

Alta-Legacy Wip
« on: May 07, 2012, 03:55 AM »
So now that I'm finally out of college I can start my build :) I've had this thing in planning for a while and have been gathering parts for a long time now. Most of the progress I've made so far is only in the soft parts division (posted over in the female soft parts thread area) but I thought I'd start up a WIP thread as I plan on starting on the armor plates very soon. Anyway, here's my design:

This is my first build and, though I've been reading posts on this site for years, I'm still a bit new. I read the rules sections but I guess I'm just a bit paranoid I'll forget one ^^; Do let me know if I mess up and post something in the wrong area and what not. I'll do all I can to fix anything like that. On another note, feedback is greatly appreciated! I'm not new to cosplay but I am new to armor so any and all advice is appreciated!

MMCC #707

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Alta-Legacy Wip
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 07:50 AM »
I see some Arabic inspiration in your helmet additions?  Looks pretty darn neat!

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 01:28 PM »
Love the Concept Vod ;D Looking forward to seeing it come together ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 03:01 PM »
Ok this looks REALLY cool!  :o I can't wait to see this!!!!!  :D

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 04:52 PM »
Beautiful one-of-a-kind concept! I will be watching this one for sure! 8)

darthmayhem

• Garyth Skyblade Taakure- Medic
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 05:02 PM »
looks like an awesome concept

-"O... that looks like it hurts, can i see your insurance card?"
-"First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me."
-"The operation was a complete success, but the patient died of something else."
(Save Stripes XI)
M5 #19
Beards #07
mvs #06
KOMS # 22

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 10:50 PM »
looking foreword to seeing the helmet come together.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 01:42 PM »
Woah..... I don't say that often, good luck on this build. It looks like it can turn out to be one of the most visually stunning sets in the group.

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

Alta

« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2012, 01:22 AM »
So I FINALLY cut out the templates. Here's what I got.

After cutting them out and seeing how long they were I decided to try 'em on with my vest and belt as I was worried they were a bit too long. The front plates seem OK (assuming I've got them close to the right spot). The back plates seem a bit long however. The green arrow in the second picture indicates the top of my belt. I suppose I should just trim that part down? Would that be OK? Thoughts?

MMCC #707

Byrek Avery

« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2012, 01:37 AM »
I think an inch or two off the back wouldn't hurt. The rest looks very solid. And your soft parts- beautiful.  ;)

*Edit* Drake (designer of the plates) suggests removing the fourth plate. Apparently it's overkill.

« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2012, 01:39 AM by Byrek Avery » Logged

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Alta

« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2012, 01:41 AM »
I think an inch or two off the back wouldn't hurt. The rest looks very solid. And your soft parts- beautiful.  ;)

*Edit* Drake (designer of the plates) suggests removing the fourth plate. Apparently it's overkill.

Many thanks! :) And I was wondering about that. Since it technically "fit" I wasn't sure but I've been eyeballing it. Easy fix though. Thank you for the feedback!

MMCC #707

Byrek Avery

« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2012, 01:46 AM »
Many thanks! :) And I was wondering about that. Since it technically "fit" I wasn't sure but I've been eyeballing it. Easy fix though. Thank you for the feedback!

No problem! That's what we're here for :)

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

darthmayhem

• Garyth Skyblade Taakure- Medic
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #12 on: Jul 16, 2012, 07:50 AM »
ya your making good use of the templates too i did mine all wrong honestly cut em out individually had to seem em together twice lol

-"O... that looks like it hurts, can i see your insurance card?"
-"First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me."
-"The operation was a complete success, but the patient died of something else."
(Save Stripes XI)
M5 #19
Beards #07
mvs #06
KOMS # 22

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #13 on: Jul 16, 2012, 08:29 AM »
I really like your concept and look forward to seeing it come together! What shade of yellow were you planning on using for your plates? Really light and bright or a more natural muted shade?

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #14 on: Jul 16, 2012, 08:38 AM »
You're almost definitely going to need to narrow the front plates somewhat; while the shaping to make them fit your bust might solve some of the width issue, chances are it won't deal with it entirely. You can probably even get away with just taking in the chest plates. If you follow the curve made by your left thumb and match it to the collar plate, it oughtta do the job.

Otherwise, nice concept, and good luck making it :).

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Alta

« Reply #15 on: Jul 16, 2012, 12:12 PM »
Many thanks for all of the feed back guys! I really appreciate it! I'll get to trimming and refitting those plates right away!

As for the colors, for those of you who are curious, I was actually looking at a metallic gold (that I will obviously weather/mute a good bit, don't want to be TOO shiny lol). The color is yellow/golden in the pics cuz Microsoft paint can't do a metallic gold lol. Should the metallic gold look wonky though there is a yellow that very strongly resembles the one in the concept pic for sale around here.

I hope to have pics of the refitted plates up shortly!

Oh and while I'm thinking about it, are the back plates about right or are they a bit wide too? Just curious lol. Since the front plates are wanted to make sure the back plates weren't also. Simple fix if they are though. :)

« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2012, 12:29 PM by Alta » Logged

MMCC #707

Byrek Avery

« Reply #16 on: Jul 16, 2012, 01:30 PM »
I use Krylon Brilliant gold, and I love it. It's a very sharp look.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Jul 16, 2012, 01:32 PM »
I would say use rub n buff. You can get it in a variety of metallic shades... bright clean gold, antique gold, bronze and there are probably 100 more. Rub N Buff tends to look more realistic than paints.

Alta

« Reply #18 on: Jul 16, 2012, 01:53 PM »
I use Krylon Brilliant gold, and I love it. It's a very sharp look.

I think that might actually be what I have at the moment :)

I would say use rub n buff. You can get it in a variety of metallic shades... bright clean gold, antique gold, bronze and there are probably 100 more. Rub N Buff tends to look more realistic than paints.

Where's a good place to find rub n buff? I'd definitely like to look into it, but I don't remember seeing it around all that much near where I live. Suggestions?

MMCC #707

Muscle

• Live for the hunt
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #19 on: Jul 16, 2012, 02:31 PM »
Not sure if they have them in your area but HOBBY LOBBY sells rub n buff. I would think Joanns fabric would carry it as well.

Dargo Jo'Rae

Alta

« Reply #20 on: Jul 16, 2012, 02:37 PM »
Not sure if they have them in your area but HOBBY LOBBY sells rub n buff. I would think Joanns fabric would carry it as well.

Fortunately we have both of those so I should be able to find some :) Many thanks! I also read that rub n buff goes a long way? Sure hope so, they only sell small tubes at those stores from what I can see via their website.

MMCC #707

Muscle

• Live for the hunt
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #21 on: Jul 16, 2012, 02:42 PM »
I too only saw it in small tubes. Good luck and I can't wait to see pics

Dargo Jo'Rae

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #22 on: Jul 16, 2012, 02:47 PM »
Yeah, the tubes are quite small but, it goes a long way. One to two tubes would easily do all of your armor.

Alta

« Reply #23 on: Jul 16, 2012, 02:48 PM »
Yeah, the tubes are quite small but, it goes a long way. One to two tubes would easily do all of your armor.

Ah, OK. Good to know. Many thanks! :)

MMCC #707

Alta

« Reply #24 on: Jul 16, 2012, 03:49 PM »
So here's a shot with the front plates more fitted.

Thoughts? And sorry there is no update on the back plates. I took a pic but it has wicked bad quality cuz well...It's hard to take a picture of your own back yourself. Needless to say an inch might have been a bit much. Will take another pic of the back plate when I can get some extra hands and let yall see what yall think.

MMCC #707

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!